Mafia 75 -- Revolution in Vanillaville

House Targaryen

Just in case they aren't saved in the spoiler thread I might as well post the two WTF? PM's Targ sent me:

Odd. The sun seems unusually strong today in Vanillaville. You're used to working in the fields in the scorching heat, but within ten minutes of ploughing the field, you're already getting sunburned.

You feel drowsy, as if all the strength has been sapped from your body. Your plough is heavy in your hand.

Maybe it's the stress from all that evil mod revolutionary ruckus interrupting your sleep. Last night you had uneasy dreams--you don't remember of what, only fluttering shadows at your window and vague fear.

By noon, you can't take any more. You leave the fields, drawing murmurs of disapproval from the other farmers for your poor work ethic.

Even in the shade, the sun is unbearable. Finally, you head home. Not by the route you normally take, through the woods and crossing the stream--you don't want to go that way, for some reason.

You're very thirsty, but when you pour yourself some water from the well, it only makes you queasy. And you're so tired. Maybe you should go to sleep...

You wake, nice and refreshed, after dusk. The long rest did you wonders. You feel invigorated and ready to start your day.

With a graceful bound, you spring from your bed and land halfway across the room.

You notice that you are nimbler than usual, lighter on your feet. Every movement of yours can be controlled with precision. You decide to test yourself. After taking a step back, you leap high into the air (almost grazing the ceiling), and land foot-first on the top of your dresser.

Everything in the room is visible in precise detail. You can make out each dust mote hanging in the air, each pore in the floorboards, even a beetle on the street below as you look outside your window.

You are thirsty, so thirsty. You open the window, and the cool breeze that rushes in is laced with a rich copper smell that tantalizes your senses. Every muscle in your body tenses. A signal from the reptilian part of your brain tells you what you must do next.

As if you've done this a hundred times before, you close your eyes and concentrate. Then you turn into a bat, and fly outside looking for prey.

=================================================

Guess what? Because I'm completely out of my gourd, you are now a vampire! And it's your new mission to make as many new vampires as possible.

The vampire faction wins if you personally recruit three new vampires (no, you don't count as one of the recruits) AND you get five different players to post "Children of the night. What music they make." in the thread.

Every night, you may PM me the name of a living player to bite. If you do not send me a choice, you will default to no-action, and be very hungry the next day. If you bite that player two nights in a row, he will become a vampire. Any action that interferes with one of your bites (that player being healed, you being guarded, etc.) will reset the bite counter to zero. (You will not be told if your bites or conversions were successful.)

Successful converts will keep their original win condition (innocent or FM), but also gain the vampire one (you recruiting three vampires). However, they will not be informed of the identity of their sire, nor will they be able to communicate with you.

But even in your undead state, you're still a vanilla vampire, committed to drinking blood the old-fashioned way, so you can also win with the innocents.

I feel bad about pushing Targ's rules on mentioning PM information. I did my best not to give an overall sense of 'the flavour', but well... it's kind of hard not to.

In my haste to play, I totally didn't see (or forgot I saw) the part on the rules pertaining to PMs in this game specifically. I figured usual rules apply. Sorry Targ.

And even if you don't consider the distancing, Reed was still more likely to be Ashford's partner.

Yeah, but if you vote based on actual suspicious play, I'd like to think that I was a little bit better than Frey. I mean... just a little? :worried:

Not sure how that's relevant. Frey was posting enough to survive, and clearly wasn't going to just take a modkill.

Oh, I agree. I hate to be a sore loser and congrats to the FM....but the reality is that we gave them this game.

And I also agree, that messed with the balance a lot. You can't give the FM a mystery vote in such a small game.

I think it's hardly possible to balance such a game at all. It's just too small and leaves only little space for error. I think we didn't do so bad given the circumstances. We only missed Frey after all. B)

Well, it was good to have you playing again (although I didn't alt-spot you). :cheers:

You're making no sense. Frey was a likely lynch. Distancing was foolish. And even if you don't consider the distancing, Reed was still more likely to be Ashford's partner.

Frey was a likely lynch based on what? She got some suspicion, but not more than a lot of other players. I can't believe you were so willing to dismiss distancing based on that.

But damn, you're right. I apparently interpreted your "my impression of Ashford got better" reread wrongly. :P

No, you're right that I said at the end of day 2 was that Ashford looked better than she had previously. But she was still in my tier 1. I sent my suspects in to Targ that night before I was spoiled, and said at that time that I felt the FM were 2 of Ashford, Frey, and Fossoway. I knew you were innocent due to your gameplay. I felt Bolton was innocent due to the poisoning/vampire thing. And I decided that Reed was innocent because I knew it was Shadowbaby, and she's usually a pretty lazy player when it comes to making cases....so her day 2 case on you seemed like something she would only do if she was innocent and really trying to figure things out.

Also, I would have really been after Ashford again as soon as she made that awful role reveal on day 3. You guys nailed her with your questions, and made her story sound completely foolish. It was a massacre and she was very obviously evil....and then you let her off the hook.

As I said, the innocents lost the moment Frey directed that post at me. Unless I was NKed there would have always been one vote not cast for Frey.

I don't know if she took what I said as personally as she made it sound, but... I really don't like hurting people's feelings. I even downplayed how much that post affected me and tried to come up with a game relevant reason for absolving her of guilt (i.e. Estermont's vote analysis).

Anyway, it's my bad. I think Pebble's is awesome, I'm not trying to guilt trip her. It just means I have to put on my stone-cold face when I play mafia and not let RL stuff effect my in game opinions.

In general however I felt my suspicions were pretty spot on. Not in the end obviously, but I 'felt good' about Fossoway, Reed, and Tarth all of day 2 and Ashford was always in my first tier of suspects.

Also, had day 1 ended at a half-way decent time, Ashford would have been lynched day one, just sayin' :P

We really shouldn't have won that.

Halo, I was angry at you because you lied about something I said. ok it was an honest mistake on your part. I have spent all week being constantly attacked for well being a woman. We had this crazy house guest neighbour hubby took in while I was at work Tuesday. And he's just vile and dispicable.

Woman needs to be completely dominated, because we are treachours evil things. we should wait on men hand and foot. not have jobs, not wear trousours and be beaten regulary to remind us of our place. He's been taking any slight opotunity he can find to have a go and condem me, and my husband. really he makes Nick Griffin look like a nice reasoned compasonate person. He's cast this great big dark gloomy could thats been hanging over me, and I kept on replaying all the things he said. Even when I was at work, I knew I'd have to go home to him. when someone else deliberatly lied about something I had said I just snapped. thats what it felt like at the time, which of course is totally unfair on you.

the good news is we got rid of him yesterday.

the good news

I can see distancing, but not from a player that is not able to play. The problem is that the FM played so awful that they somehow escaped logic. That and the lack of powerroles. If we had one more day, we would have won for sure. So why a guard instead of healer or BP, and why giving the FM an additional vote?

The game is very unbalanced.

I was the biggest idiot ever. You did not catch me lie on day 1 WJ, I just got confused, and stayed that way all game. I hated my partner at times, really hated her getting a free pass. It was a messed up game. I should have lost. I was just too dumb to do so, I guess.

Dammit, I still had more events planned for Day Four.

Congratulations, killers!

I can see distancing, but not from a player that is not able to play. The problem is that the FM played so awful that they somehow escaped logic. That and the lack of powerroles. If we had one more day, we would have won for sure. So why a guard instead of healer or BP, and why giving the FM an additional vote?

But you did have a BP (albeit a weakened one) who would turn into a vig whose power was activated on a NK. It was Connington. And the whole point of the guard (which I was actually told was too powerful for a two-FM game) was that he'd become a healer-maker later and make himself a confirmed innocent (as well as find another confirmed innocent if you lynched an FM early on). Both roles had the ability to stop a NK.

I was told two power roles was too many for such a small game, so I decided to give the FM something to make it up to them. I think I should have limited it to one shot and maybe disallowed the FM from hammering, but I don't think you can blame the innocents' loss on the mystery vote. In practice, all it did was ensure that there were enough votes for a single player to be lynched on D2. :P And the role insanity meant they couldn't use it to force night in endgame.

Edit: Also, not to knock the innocents, but I'm in the camp that thinks Ashford should have been lynched over Reed, since the former looked much more suspicious and was caught in outright lies. Saying that it would have been poor play to lynch Ashford first when Reed could have been partnered to both members of the suspect pool is a little silly when Ashford and Frey were partners. Frey's vote for Ashford might have made their partnership a bit less likely, but certainly shouldn't have ruled it out when she didn't stick to her guns and prematurely hammered Vance long before the deadline. I'm surprised no one suggested Estermont pointing out the Ashford-Frey connection as a reason for his death.

The problem is that the FM played so awful that they somehow escaped logic.

That's a bit like saying, "If I'm wrong, it's not my fault, but the fault of the player who should be acting in a way that makes me suspect him more." :P

Woman needs to be completely dominated, because we are treachours evil things. we should wait on men hand and foot. not have jobs, not wear trousours and be beaten regulary to remind us of our place. He's been taking any slight opotunity he can find to have a go and condem me, and my husband. really he makes Nick Griffin look like a nice reasoned compasonate person. He's cast this great big dark gloomy could thats been hanging over me, and I kept on replaying all the things he said. Even when I was at work, I knew I'd have to go home to him. when someone else deliberatly lied about something I had said I just snapped. thats what it felt like at the time, which of course is totally unfair on you.

Wow, they actually make people like that still?

Even the most right-wing uber-jerk I know would have trouble expressing views like that in company that might --WOULD-- take offense.

Forget what they say about Canadian's being the polite ones, it's you English who are way too polite. Anyone I know would have told that dude to 'eff off' and leave him to freeze in the snow. Heck, I don't even talk to my neighbours for the sole reason that they used to have a Confederate flag on their truck.

Edit: Also, not to knock the innocents, but I'm in the camp that thinks Ashford should have been lynched over Reed, since the former looked much more suspicious and was caught in outright lies. Saying that it would have been poor play to lynch Ashford first when Reed could have been partnered to both members of the suspect pool is a little silly when Ashford and Frey were partners. Frey's vote for Ashford might have made their partnership a bit less likely, but certainly shouldn't have ruled it out when she didn't stick to her guns and prematurely hammered Vance long before the deadline. I'm surprised no one suggested Estermont pointing out the Ashford-Frey connection as a reason for his death.

Hey, I did vote for Ashford first. I was just convinced by the other innocents and er, Frey that Reed should be the one to go first.

Also, I wasn't going to make a big deal about this, but the only reason I didn't remove my vote from Reed and discuss the matter more was because Targ had posted that only 'BABY JESUS' votes counted. I realize WHY the call was made to reverse that decision, but I think we should have gotten fair warning and have to recast our votes from scratch.

Anyway, I'm probably just grasping at straws...

We had this crazy house guest neighbour hubby took in while I was at work Tuesday. And he's just vile and dispicable.

Good grief! Before this, I never knew a person who met such a person in RL. I thought they exist in books only.

I wonder why you haven't given him directions to the door immedeately. Some relative of your husband?

Hey, I did vote for Ashford first. I was just convinced by the other innocents and er, Frey that Reed should be the one to go first.

Also, I wasn't going to make a big deal about this, but the only reason I didn't remove my vote from Reed and discuss the matter more was because Targ had posted that only 'BABY JESUS' votes counted. I realize WHY the call was made to reverse that decision, but I think we should have gotten fair warning and have to recast our votes from scratch.

Anyway, I'm probably just grasping at straws...

At that point, the hammer had already been cast, so you couldn't have taken it back. Actually, I'd thought there were only three votes on Reed at the time. Then when I realized that there was already a precedent for accepting Reed votes, and that I'd miscounted, it would have been unfair to penalize the FM like that by revoking their hammer. Lany had already "outed" herself by hammering.

Good grief! Before this, I never knew a person who met such a person in RL. I thought they exist in books only.

I wonder why you haven't given him directions to the door immedeately. Some relative of your husband?

He's no relative, and we have never spoken to him before. well might have said good morning or something as we passed in the street. He lives a couple of doors up and Hubby took pity on him. (ok then we both had no-idea what he waslike)

After that we just could not bring ourselves to chuck out an elderly man into the snow when he had no heating and no water. no matter how mean he was, I just could not do it. I guess I'm just too much of a doormat. I had phoned social services to see if they could provide him with emergancy accomadation but they had more urgent cases because we had allready taken him in.

He lives a couple of doors up and Hubby took pity on him. (ok then we both had no-idea what he waslike)

After that we just could not bring ourselves to chuck out an elderly man into the snow when he had no heating and no water. no matter how mean he was, I just could not do it.

Oh my! You both are much like Russian intelligentsia.

Did you read Dostoevsky's "Selo Stepanchikovo and it's habitants"?

Archived