A Thread for Small Questions V

Lady Blackfish

Unless Walder Frey or Roose Bolton kept the mutilated bodies as a (gruesome) trophy, they probably ended up either in the river or in a mass grave with the rest of those who died during the Red Wedding.

There are rumors that Robb's head was cut off, then Grey Winds's and then Frey put together Robb's body, GW's head and Robb's crown with needle and fibre. Then they are all, with UnCat, thrown in river. this was reason why I think it was Robb's crown in UnCat's hand.

There are rumors that Robb's head was cut off, then Grey Winds's and then Frey put together Robb's body, GW's head and Robb's crown with needle and fibre. Then they are all, with UnCat, thrown in river. this was reason why I think it was Robb's crown in UnCat's hand.

Robb's crown is in the hands of unCat because she hung up the Queen of Whores, mistress to Ryman Frey, who was given the Crown. There is an image that Dany sees in the house of the undying which is similar, but I think that is symbolic rather than real.

Tyrion's POV chapter talks about how Grey Wind's head was sewn onto Robb's shoulders (and Dany's 'vision' in the House of the Undying confirms). However, Tyrion states that Cat's body was dumped in the river to make fun of house Tully's funeral customs. He doesn't say that Robb was thrown into the river as well, I'm pretty sure of that. Also, when Arya dreams of being Nymeria she mentions seeing her mother but doesn't mention anything about Robb.

Unless Walder Frey or Roose Bolton kept the mutilated bodies as a (gruesome) trophy, they probably ended up either in the river or in a mass grave with the rest of those who died during the Red Wedding.

Thank you for the reply! Geez, I don't know what would be worse. I'm king of hoping that Olyvar (or some other more or less decent Frey) insisted on burying Robb and the wolf or at least keeping his remains, but that doesn't seem very likely..

In particular the recurrance of "3's" and "7's", as they show up A LOT in the series. (3 headed dragon, 3 eyed crow, 7 gods of the andals, 7 kingdoms) the list can literally go on and on.

Seven is the number of gods of the religion the Andals brought to Westeros. Most ocurrences of the number seven is related to the religion: septs, the seven-pointed star, the seven hells, trials by seven... The Seven kingdoms received this name for this association, since the name is considered holy. In fact, most time ther haven't been seven kingdoms in Westeros: before the arribal of the Rhoynar, Dorne was divided in many small kingdoms, and after the Targaryen invasion the riverlands and the Iron Islands were divided.

The number seven was also considered sacred in many ancient and classical real-world cultures (it's the number of moving celestial bodies that can be seen with naked eye): thus the seven days of the week, the seven days of the Creation, the seven hills of Rome, the seven sayings of Jesus, the seven liberal arts, the seven Sacraments, the seventh sky, the seven capital sins,...

The three headed dragon it's the banner of House Targaryen because Westeros was conquered by Aegon and his two sisters (I wonder how his banner was before). As for the three eyed-crow, the third eye is a real world symbol of wisdom. That's why indians put a dot on their forehead, or why Excalibur's Merlin had one.

I have a question, too:

Can somebody point out, what evidence Jon Arryn, Stannis and finally Ned had for the incest between Cersei and Jaime?

The bastards they found only prove that Robert isn't the father of his wife's children.

You then look at who had the opportunity, who spent a lot of time around Cersei, and so on... and that was Jaime, basically. Ned didn't have proof of it, of course, but the circumstancial evidence was pretty strong. So strong that Cersei didn't even bother trying to hide the paternity of her children when Ned accused her; indeed, she rather reveled in confirming it.

Can someone please tell me in which chapter Jaime expresses regret over crippling Bran?

I think the closest he gets to this is in Chapter 1 of ASOS, his first POV chapter.

If truth be told, Jaime had come to rue heaving Brandon Stark out that window. Cersei had given him no end of grief afterward, when the boy refused to die. “He was seven, Jaime,” she’d berated him. “Even if he understood what he saw, we should have been able to frighten him into silence.”

I have a question, too:

Can somebody point out, what evidence Jon Arryn, Stannis and finally Ned had for the incest between Cersei and Jaime?

The bastards they found only prove that Robert isn't the father of his wife's children.

And even that they don't know that Jaime is the father, her crime was to betray the king.

The fact that it was in a sick relationship is just to spice it up a little more.

Whenever someone has a name like "Bloodraven", "Darkstar", "Kingslayer", etc. they should be pre-emptively arrested because there's a 100% chance that they'll turn out to be a psychopathic asshole.

Maekar and Bloodraven were teamed up during the Rebellions, but Maekar disliked Bloodraven due to his violence and tempestuous personality and his penchant for forming mercenary companies.

Seven is the number of gods of the religion the Andals brought to Westeros. Most ocurrences of the number seven is related to the religion: septs, the seven-pointed star, the seven hells, trials by seven... The Seven kingdoms received this name for this association, since the name is considered holy. In fact, most time ther haven't been seven kingdoms in Westeros: before the arribal of the Rhoynar, Dorne was divided in many small kingdoms, and after the Targaryen invasion the riverlands and the Iron Islands were divided.

The number seven was also considered sacred in many ancient and classical real-world cultures (it's the number of moving celestial bodies that can be seen with naked eye): thus the seven days of the week, the seven days of the Creation, the seven hills of Rome, the seven sayings of Jesus, the seven liberal arts, the seven Sacraments, the seventh sky, the seven capital sins,...

The three headed dragon it's the banner of House Targaryen because Westeros was conquered by Aegon and his two sisters (I wonder how his banner was before). As for the three eyed-crow, the third eye is a real world symbol of wisdom. That's why indians put a dot on their forehead, or why Excalibur's Merlin had one.

There are even more examples, and hopefully one day I'll have the time to sit down and go through all the "3's" and "7's" you see in the series.

Hi. Apologies for asking an old question. I understand there are 3 Dunk & Egg novels. Is that correct? I've only read the first - ages ago. Where can I find the other two?

Look for a copy of Legends II: Dragon, Sword, and King edited by Robert Silverberg in order to get The Sworn Sword novella - the second of the Dunk and Egg adventures. For the third story, The Mystery Knight, look for the new anthology Warriors edited by Martin and Gardner Dozois. Martin's story is the last in the book.

Alternatively, or in addition, The Sworn Sword is available via iTunes. As far as I know Warriors and The Mystery Knight are not yet available in audiobook format. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived