A Thread for Small Questions V

Lady Blackfish

When exactly did Roose Bolton decide to betray the Starks. It was clear in some of Jaime's chapters in ASOS but I haven't read ACOK in a while so I was wondering if there was any evidence in some of Arya's chapters.

I remember something in a Tyrion chapter as well. Lord Tywin showing some letters to Tyrion, and Tyrion wondering what his father had in mind. It was either about the Greyjoys or about Roose Bolton, I guess.

Are anyone convinced that Twyin was proud what Tyrion do to him? Shoot him while he was shitting was prove that Tyrion is his son [this statement is whole in Twyin's eyes]. That's the reason why he is smiling on his funeral.

I think the reason he was smiling was because, as his skin dried, it stretched taught over his muscles and skeletal system. I don't think that Tywin really appreciated getting shot in the crotch by his maniacal son while he was taking a post-coital dump. I mean, who would?

Guest Other-in-Law

Hey, does anyone remember if Brienne was actually, officially, knighted by anyone?

I don't think so. I don't think there's any precedent for female knights, though there was mention of Lady Lothston riding out in armour at the end of tMK. And while we've yet to hear the exact words of the full KG oath, we did witness Brienne's oath when she donned her rainbow cloak for Renly, and she was certainly not named 'Ser Brienne the Blue'. Pod's the only one who ever calls her 'ser'.

On the Karstarks,

reports seem contradictory. Stannis was said to have gotten them on his side, but it also appears that one was attending Ramsay in the Reek spoiler chapter. They could easily be hedging their bets.

What was the cause for the Tarbecks and the Reynes to rebel against the Lannisters?

"Who are you?" The proud Lord Reyne said (to Tywin). "that I should bow so low? Only a cat of a different color, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws. And mine are long and sharp my lord, as long and sharp as yours!"

What had happened was, Tytos Lannister (Tywin's otherwise-amiable father) had arrested the Tarbeck's lord for some reason that I can't remember now. The Tarbeck's wife had retaliated by abducting Ser Stafford (Tywin's cousin / brother-in-law ... gross, I know, but that's beside the point) and two other Lannisters and holding them for ransom, threatening to kill them if Tytos didn't return them. Tytos was a decent guy so he decided to negotiate a peaceful hostage exchange, but Tywin's kind of a sadistic dick, so the next time the Tarbecks and Reynes rebelled (which seems like a common occurrence, since they have the same hostile relationship to the Lannisters that the Tyrells have with the Florents and the Starks have with the Boltons) Tywin took the opportunity to exterminate them.

As for the reasons for their second betrayal, the one that led to Tywin's extermination, it's ambiguous. It was probably a power grab; as I said before, the Reynes and the Tarbecks were the Lannister's most powerful bannermen. They might have planned to usurp the Lannisters (just as the Boltons constantly try to do to the Starks). In fact, that's probably the reason why Tytos arrested Tarbeck in the 1st place!

Archived