A Thread for Small Questions V

Lady Blackfish

Why does Stannis dislike Ned so much?

Robert always treated Ned as more of a brother than Stannis. For example, Robert skipped over Stannis and made Eddard his hand, which he probably saw as a deliberate slight. Meanwhile, when it came time to divvy up the spoils from the War of the Usurper, Robert snubbed Stannis -- who had gone to bat for and nearly starved to death for him! -- by giving him the crappy seat at Dragonstone instead of the mighty Storm's End, which by custom should have gone to him (as the oldest non-monarch of the Baratheons).

Guest Other-in-Law

Robert snubbed Stannis -- who had gone to bat for and nearly starved to death for him! -- by giving him the crappy seat at Dragonstone instead of the mighty Storm's End, which by custom should have gone to him (as the oldest non-monarch of the Baratheons).

Rather, Robert honoured Stannis by giving him the glorious castle of Dragonstone, traditional seat of the heir to the Iron Throne!

The only downside is that it commands the fealty of only four or so houses instead of dozens. But even if Stannis had gotten Storm's End, he still would have found something to bellyache about. There's just no pleasing that guy.

Rather, Robert honoured Stannis by giving him the glorious castle of Dragonstone, traditional seat of the heir to the Iron Throne!

That's a fair interpretation, but this didn't happen in a vacuum. Stannis always felt unloved and rejected by his big brother. When they were babies, Robert and Renly used to play a game called "Bonk the Stannis" which was about as fun for Stannis as it sounds. And they would never let poor Stannis join in any of their Baratheon games. Then one foggy Christmas Eve, Steffon came to say... Stannis with your bald head so bright, won't you guide my sleigh tonight?

Moving on; she's not angry with Jaime over the Aerys thing. She's angry with him (and the other Lannisters) because they killed her husband, killed all of her employees, threw her son out the window, kidnapped and possibly raped one daughter, just plain flat out lost the other daughter (!?!), and ravaged and burned her father's lands and tried to harry everyone who lives in her home territory. There's only so much bullshit you can take from one guy before any good he might have done in the past starts to get clouded.

She does have a general dislike and distrust of the Lannisters, with the Kingslaying figuring into it, as well as the Sack of KIng's Landing, and the general clannishness, high ambition, etc. But this is an attitude shared by not quite a few families in Westeros -- the Lannisters are generally perceived as being dangerous and too ambitious.

Also, right at the beginning of AGoT Catelyn receives the letter from Lysa accusing the Lannisters of murdering Jon Arryn. She has a general dislike of the Lannisters prior to that point (evident from the way she refers to them), but that letter (even though it was a lie) was probably the beginning of her personal dislike of the Lannisters as an eminent threat to her family.

I'm in my first full re-read and I'm wanna know if there is any mention of what became of Jeyne Poole after Littlefinger takes responsibility of getting rid of her?

She become new 'Arya Stark'. She is a girl who Jaime saw around Red Keep and who tell him that she is Arya Stark. This is not comfirmed, but it fits very nicely.

Guest Other-in-Law

Roose Bolton also reported to Jaime that LF was the one who found Arya. Jeyne was last heard of being given over to LF's custody, then later he provided a northern girl as a substitute for the real Arya.

I'm currently re-reading GoT and have just finished reading the part where Robert hears about Dany being pregnant and wants her assassinated. In a previous chapter, Arya overhears Varys and whathisname (can never spell his name) talking about books, bastards, about Dany being pregnant (without using her name). When she tells Ned, he dismisses what she tells him although in truth she is all mixed up. But she tells him enough to be able to piece together that what she is saying has substance behind it, esp after the small council meeting. Why doesn't he even have an inkling afterwards about what Arya said?

He was probably a little too stressed to think about it right afterward. Remember, at that council meeting, his former best friend forced him to resign his job and threatened to decapitate him. He was more focused on getting himself and his people safely out of King's Landing and back home to where he feels really good about himself.

I apologise if this has been asked before but do we ever get an estimate of how large a population Westeros has?

Also how does for example Kings Landing compare with the Free cities in terms of population? Does the eastern continent have a larger population than Westeros?

Not really an easily answerable question, but what the hell was Tyrion thinking when he lied to Jaime about killing Joeffry? I know he was mad with anger at the time but I thought he loved his brother. It's especially strange after Jaime was just honest with Tyrion for the first time about Tysha. Did he want to cause the same sort of grief to Jaime that the lie caused him? I wonder how it would have been different if they had that conversation after Tyrion killed Tywin.

Archived