The Ashes 2010/11

Stubby

There are other words I could have used, but this is a family board :-P

I heard the crowd using a few of them when Watson was bowling.

There was a lot of talk leading up to the match about the first session possibly setting the tone for the series, and whichever team came out on top would have a big advantage. As it turned out, if it did set the tone then it'll be a very tight series because neither team really took an advantage, it's fairly even between the two.

I didn't think Australia bowled particularly well overall. They got one wicket from a good ball from Watson and one from a terrible ball, but other than that they've mostly been fairly innocuous. England will probably be content with the score, but they haven't exactly dominated the bowling and they were lucky not to lose more wickets.

Gutted. Test Match Special is always a good reserve option, can you get it in the US?

Fairly even session but Pietersen and Cook could do with putting together a big partnership.

Not sure, but I'll def. check -- thank you for the tip! If nothing else, I'll find a video stream -- I just prefer not being hunched over my computer any more than I have to be. :)

Never heard of this Doherty bloke but he looks like a goer. Pity about the drop...

Considering his inexperience, I thought he did OK for his first spell bowling in Test cricket. I wonder if the dropped catch will turn out to be expensive?

Anyway, I'm off to bed now. Hopefully England will still have some wickets left by the time I get up.

[lawry voice]Got him, yeeeeeees![/lawry voice]

Also, cricinfo's on-line commentators just posted this gem:

And we have a double change. Peter Siddle from the Vulture Street End. He's got the collar turned upwards, a-la Mark Waugh. White zinc cream on the lip, a-la Dean Jones. Moustache, a-la Merv Hughes. The ultimate retro cricketer.

This partnership is crucial now. Bell is the form player in the England side and Cook has look very composed for his half-century (other than the cut-shot that he was dropped on). Australia will be well in front of this game if another wicket falls soon.

I should go to lunch more often.

When I stepped out for a salad roll it was 4/215 and tea. I come back after a pleasant 45 minutes with laoise and Steven Erikson to see that Siddle has a hat-trick!!

Archived