The Ashes 2010/11

Stubby

End of day one and it's Aussies in front clearly. Still, some good batting from Bell and Cook so it wasn't a total waste for England.

They will have to bowl well tomorrow morning to get back on top ASAP.

Im the worst Australian ever because I totally forgot this started today. The only hint I had that something was going on is when I unexpectedly felt that pleasant warm glow spreading through me that I only ever experience when the English are in pain.

I personally wasn't in pain, watching Siddle scythe through our batting line up was actually strangely cathartic.

It's strangely conforting to know that we are still the same England we've always been.

Aha! First time I'm near a computer...was watching it a lot at work (thank goodness I wasn't teaching too many classes today). Siddle would have been the least likely person to take 6 wickets in the innings but there you go. It's just as well because Johnson bowled pies all day. Australia were lucky to get out of that innings, they can't afford Johnson to be completely ineffectual in an innings again.

And they have to make Siddle's hat-trick count by getting in a good first innings. The pitch seems pretty flat so there's no excuse for not piling up runs on Day 2-3, but the rather creaky nature of the Australian batting lineup gives me a bit of pause. Ponting might be able to resurrect his Gabba magic but who knows. Anyway, I think the English are still in with a good chance. Their second innings won't be as bad, and they bat awfully deep with Swann at 9. We got lucky with Siddle's bowling but it's going to be much harder work to get the wickets next time around.

Just looking at the England batting lineup, I was impressed by Bell, he seems to be a lot calmer and classical these days. It's good to watch him bat. Some of the English batsmen are more effective than elegant (Collingwood and Cook)...in particular I have always been bemused by Cook. He barely ever plays with a straight bat (his defensive shots almost always come down crooked) and he plays with a closed face half the time, yet he makes it work as an international opening batsmen. Very intriguing!

Then again, there are people with stranger techniques...just ask Ridley Jacobs.

Bollinger is out. Disappointing because Siddle never looks like he's going to take a wicket and doesn't really move the ball much.

LOL

To be honest I am glad Siddle is in for Bollinger.

Good Call :cheers:

I love him cause he's a VICTORIAN (and cause he's awesome). Brilliant hat-trick. He has really put in the hard yards to overcome a serious injury. 6fa including a hat-trick on your 26th birthday, doesn't get much better than that !!!

Hilfenhaus and Doherty both bowled well, but Johnson was a bit of worry

Now we just need Watson to get out and Katich and Ponting to set a new record partnership!!!

Do England & Wales have a sports psychologist as part of the team? A few breathing exercises, some pep talks before the game might help them overcome the occasion.

Alternately, they need an opening batsman like Sehwag who would set the tone for the first Test and possibly the rest of the series. Sure, its 50/50 if such a batsman can dominate the attack or get out the first over ..... like Strauss did. Right now it seems as if they'll be chasing the 8-ball for a lot of the Ashes.

Alternately, they need an opening batsman like Sehwag who would set the tone for the first Test and possibly the rest of the series.

Sometimes England really miss Marcus Trescothick. Admittedly, he isn't quite as explosive as Sehwag but he can still give plenty of momentum to the start of the innings.

Archived