The Ashes 2010/11

Stubby

is there anything more depressing than watching a sport via updates on the bbc website? i'm so bored at work and its 0130 in the morning, can anybody think of anything better to do with a computer (heavily regulated usage), half a can of coke and a packet of chocolate hob nobs.

How 'regulated' is regulated?

Haddin and Watson are probably too burdened on the field as a wicketkeeper and allrounder Goober respectively.

Fixed that for you. :P

I may have come around to respect his achievments and his place in the side, but captain? Not in a month of Sundays.

Quick question -- if Australia had won the toss for this Test, do you think they would have elected to bat first, or bowl first? I mean, it seems neither is going very well for them -- I'm just curious on how teams choose strategies as such.

They would have bowled for sure. It was the gamble they took by playing four seam bowlers - the pitch looked like it would help seamers on the first day so that was the obvious thinking behind the selection process. It was a gamble that didn't pay off.

Well looks like that half-century from Johnson helped him find the pitch this innings. Great bowling from him - hopefully he can maintain it for the rest of the match and the series. Siddle has just bowled Prior as well; and suddenly Siddle's pace is up again. Maybe it's the WACA, the Fremantle Doctor or some combination of it all, but Siddle's pace is much better - he's had a few balls in the high 145+ kph range, whereas last Test he was in the docile mid 130s. Hilfenhaus hasn't taken a wicket but he's consistently found his outswinger even with this old ball. Generally the Australian attack is looking much better this innings.

Still, I'm not going to rush to any conclusions yet. Swann can bat and Bell is looking in great touch. That, and Australia have bowled well for only one and a half sessions. That doesn't overturn the fact that they've bowled badly for many more sessions than that in this series. Johnson back in form is good, but they're going to need wickets from the other bowlers as well to really turn this around properly. The top order batsmen better prepare themselves to get a proper score the second time around because at this rate it might turn out to be a tight game after all.

If the first innings scores are about level, batting first may turn out to be a small advantage. Although Australia doesn't have a first-rate spinner to exploit the advantage, you still would rather bowling in the fourth innings than batting. And batting in the third innings means you have the option (if you bat well) of forcing the draw, not that a draw would really help Australia all that much in the series. However Ponting may be loath to risk the possibility of England chasing down a target and getting the victory that would secure the Ashes, so if the batting clicks and does get a big score (it remains quite an unlikely scenario), Ponting will probably play it safe.

Quick question -- if Australia had won the toss for this Test, do you think they would have elected to bat first, or bowl first? I mean, it seems neither is going very well for them -- I'm just curious on how teams choose strategies as such.

Xray I'd agree with Stubby here. Generally teams like to bat first when they win the toss because batting last is a bad idea on a pitch that deteriorates. However Australia has no spinner so bowling in the fourth innings when the pitch is at its dodgiest is not as much of an advantage. Bowling first would have been a big gamble though - Australia's bowling has been so weak, England could have racked up a massive score on the first day.

The general consensus is to bat first - especially on the subcontinent, where pitches rapidly become a spinner's paradise and the influence of pace bowlers dies out as the game progresses, and in the West Indies, where pitches are generally just dodgily prepared and crack like anything ;). The few places where you might consider bowling first are in bowler-friendly England (where there might be dampness, grass, cloud cover or seam movement conducive to bowling first up) or Australia, because the pitches hold up pretty well and any first-day kinks before the pitch settles in might be the best chance you get.

Oh and Stubby - yes, how remiss of me to forget that Watson is a full-time Goober. I have regrettably had to turn down my Watson-hate because he seems to have been holding the batting together the past year, but I still do not like the man. ;)

To be fair, Johnson bowled really well, that swing was quite prodigious. He looks like a completely different player, what a spell, 4/7. Much as I dislike the guy, he really deserved those wickets.

Australia will get a comfortable lead, and unless someobdy bats insanely (like SA did couple years ago), judging by that attack (where smith didnt even bowl an over), Australia will win, with two more tests to go... Interesting series coming up in any case.

C'mon Aussie, C'mon!

Think I might be purchasing Willow TV tonight. Anyone have any experience with it?

Yep. That's what I have been using. It's pretty reliable and video quality is good. They do tend to cut away to inexplicable and bizarre commercials at regular intervals, which can be incredibly annoying. But it's the only option I have at watching the Ashes (and any other cricket I want to see), so I deal. They do have replays and highlights that you can watch after the fact, which is really nice. That's how I got to see the first innings of the last Test.

Archived