The Ashes 2010/11

Stubby

I would have expected the 5th day wicket to be a lot more dangerous to batsmen than what it was. Was the pitch a tarmac or was it really just bad Aussie bowling. By the sounds of it the wicket was taking a fair bit of spin (I noted on Cricinfo that there were a couple of 4-run byes given up off the spinner because Haddin couldn't collect the ball), so Aussie just needed a decent spinner and some supporting quicks who could keep it tight and slow down the scoring.

I can't help but feel that a Shane Warne would have made inroads into the England lineup, flat pitch notwithstanding. So it comes down to Aussie not having the bowling talent it once did.

Sounds like Adelaide is gonna be another tough 5 days at the office for both sides' bowlers. And when it's tough for the bowlers it means another draw is on the cards.

By the sounds of it the wicket was taking a fair bit of spin (I noted on Cricinfo that there were a couple of 4-run byes given up off the spinner because Haddin couldn't collect the ball), so Aussie just needed a decent spinner and some supporting quicks who could keep it tight and slow down the scoring.

Doherty wasn't really getting that much turn except for the couple of occasions when he hit the big crack outside off stump. Given his style of bowling though I don't think he's ever going to spin it that much though so another bowler might have gotten more out of the pitch. I didn't stay up long enough to see how Swann bowled.

Doherty wasn't really getting that much turn except for the couple of occasions when he hit the big crack outside off stump. Given his style of bowling though I don't think he's ever going to spin it that much though so another bowler might have gotten more out of the pitch.

I agree. Doherty was bowling too fast (ave 95kph) for the ball to spin. It was a wicket that cried out for flight and drift.

There was definitely some horrible bowling. But that pitch was seriously disappointing. Way to fuck it up Curator. :thumbsdown:

Swann didn't bowl all that well either, true. Mind you, he was flighting it (sort of) with his speed mostly at around 85 kph and sometimes slower. I think the Aussies just played him a bit better than they did last Ashes, and it seemed pretty clear they went out with the intent to dominate him.

Will is correct...no Steve Smith. Surely the selectors wouldn't put Bollinger in for Johnson in a straight swap. That would leave Doherty at No. 8, Siddle at No. 9 and Hilfy at No.10. No runs coming from the tail there....although, I suppose, Johnson wasn't exactly contributing at No. 8 either (supposedly six ducks in his last twelve innings or somesuch).

Rumor has it that Mitch will be droppe for tomorrow's test. :thumbsup:

Well, 0/170 off his bowling, a 19-ball duck while batting and an easy dropped catch...if Bollinger can walk on the field without tripping over he'll be an immediate improvement over Johnson.

And Johnson has indeed been axed, with the suggestions now being that Bollinger is automatically in and the last decision is to choose between Hilfenhaus and Harris.

Apart from the fact that I like Hilfenhaus and think he has bowled pretty well for us in the past, I think Harris is too similar to Siddle. Harris and Siddle are both bowlers who sort of muscle the ball down at pace and are workhorses who hit the deck hard, essentially the same type of bowler - whereas Hilfenhaus has a bit more variation to him with his swing and movement. An attack of Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Siddle, Doherty and 'the Goober' Watson isn't that bad I guess, but it's still going to have a time getting 20 wickets in Adelaide.

I love test match cricket. All the ifs and buts. What if Strauss was given LBW on the first ball of the second innings?? Unfortunatly he wasn't and the Poms then went on to bat very well on a very friendly pitch against an attack that seriously lacked punch. Before Siddle's hat-trick there were some worrying signs that we were going to struggle to take wicktets and thats the way it panned out. Johnson out and Bollinger in sounds good to me. We need a genuine opening bowler, Johnson, Siddle and Hilenhaus are all first change bowlers. Dougy could be just what the doctor ordered.

North would wanna make some runs.

It looks like Australia are going to go with both Bollinger and Harris. It seems like a bit of risk to go with two players with questions about their fitness for a test match, it could put a lot of pressure on Watson and North.

The Australian selectors seem to be taking a similar approach to England's selectors back in 2006/7, picking a bunch of players who are half-fit or coming back from injuries and hoping it somehow works out for the best. I'm not very convinced about Clarke's fitness either.

:stunned: That's a better start for England. Also, from Ser Eloisa, Holy Shit.

ETA: Holy Shit x 2!!!

What is it with first overs of matches in this series? Australia have managed to make England's first over in the last match look comparatively successful. Getting run-out in the first over is particularly ridiculous.

Bloody hell!! Duck, Golden Duck. It doesn't get any better/worse than that for day 1 of a test match.

I'm still predicting a draw.

Aussie shoulda bowled first, on a wicket like this I reckon the most dangerous time to be batting will be session 1 day 1.

Archived