3rd Game of Thrones Teaser Upcoming

Westeros

I've watched it a bunch of times now, but the final sword clash has me scratching my head. It's clearly in Castle Black, but who is the guy with the sword? Is that Benjen, Aliser or someone else?

Rast on Samwell? Seemed like serious sword action -- not training.

:fencing:

Apart from tha ambiguity. Well it's all SQUEE :)

Okay, why is Drogo's look so funky? Maybe it's the lighting, but his hair looks lighter brown than I had in my head and the filtering looks super soft. It didn't look like Jason M. at all, actually. Dany's eyes look very green, too.

Catelyn looks great.

Bran = stunning.

The Hound. Yes!

Joff (snicker)

The pictures and Old Nan's voice are awesome. But I'm not sure about some of the dialogue. Robert talking about a coming war, sounding tired and weak does not fit with the character at all. A clear enemy (i.e. a Targaryen invasion) might actually have had the right impact on him, giving him something (in his mind) useful to do, and could have really rekindled his old spirit.

The same is true about the dialogue between Cersei and Ned: 'You were trained to follow' (well, yeah, maybe in a way, he was trained to follow Brandon, but I'm not sure that this will be a topic in the series - he was clearly not 'trained' to follow Robert).

Ned's 'I was not trained to kill' is really wrong, as Ned really is a warrior (and apparently a rather good one in this series) and a rather harsh Lord. I assume that this tidbit was from the Godswood conversation, but even for that Cersei and Ned are showing way too much affection for each other for my taste. Maybe Lena Headey is that good and makes Cersei a likable woman in the first season (and I would like that), but Ned never really liked her at all. He showed compassion for her children, not really for her.

Seeing Tyrion slapping Joffrey is fun, too. I always wanted to see how this works, with Joffrey being that tall, and Tyrion so litte, wondering if he had to jump ;-). In ACoK he knocks him off his feet and beats him, but in AGoT it's just a good slapping.

Where is that scene with Jaime drawing his sword happening? It does not seem to be in Winterfell or the Red Keep... Possibly it could be in KL before the brothel, but I never expected that much buildings in KL were made of solid stone. The guy beside Ned touching him who is obviously not Jory could be Littlefinger.

The battle seemingly happening at a tourney would be Gregor and Sandor 'dueling', if I'm not mistaken. The short glimpse of Esme Bianco is nice as well, and the other sexual stuff with the woman touching someone's hand was Dany, if I'm not mistaken?

I've watched it a bunch of times now, but the final sword clash has me scratching my head. It's clearly in Castle Black, but who is the guy with the sword? Is that Benjen, Aliser or someone else?

Rast on Samwell? Seemed like serious sword action -- not training.

:fencing:

Apart from tha ambiguity. Well it's all SQUEE :)

That'd be Pyp.

Ned's 'I was not trained to kill' is really wrong, as Ned really is a warrior (and apparently a rather good one in this series) and a rather harsh Lord.

I hear that as 'I was trained to kill'

yeah i heard "i was trained to kill" too. is that tyrion slapping joffrey? i couldn't tell. if it is what happens in the first book that makes him slap him? i thought that was in a clash of kings. and robert saying "a war is coming" does seem out of place, but we don't know the context of the conversation. and something intense like that needs to be said during a short commercial so the audience will be drawn in.

If it's that, it does not make that much sense, either. I just reread the Cersei-Ned-conversation in the Godswood, and although I do not insist that it has to be exactly as the book, the spirit in this scene seems to be as if Ned was on the brink of joining Cersei and Joffrey. In the book there is only for a moment no tension between them when Cersei tries to seduce Ned. But it does not seem as she was doing that in that moment, either.

But, well, I still like Lena Headey in that role, but the writing really is confusing me.

Oh, and by the way, does anybody know why it is Will and not Gared who is executed by Ned? I really hate this kind of change...

Tyrion slaps Joffrey in Winterfell after he exits the Library Tower. Joff does not show the appropriate amount of compassion for Bran's fate, and Tyrion slaps him and orders him to pay his respects to the Starks. The Hound is around in the book, and he seems to be in that scene, too.

The pictures and Old Nan's voice are awesome. But I'm not sure about some of the dialogue. Robert talking about a coming war, sounding tired and weak does not fit with the character at all. A clear enemy (i.e. a Targaryen invasion) might actually have had the right impact on him, giving him something (in his mind) useful to do, and could have really rekindled his old spirit.

The same is true about the dialogue between Cersei and Ned: 'You were trained to follow' (well, yeah, maybe in a way, he was trained to follow Brandon, but I'm not sure that this will be a topic in the series - he was clearly not 'trained' to follow Robert).

Ned's 'I was not trained to kill' is really wrong, as Ned really is a warrior (and apparently a rather good one in this series) and a rather harsh Lord. I assume that this tidbit was from the Godswood conversation, but even for that Cersei and Ned are showing way too much affection for each other for my taste. Maybe Lena Headey is that good and makes Cersei a likable woman in the first season (and I would like that), but Ned never really liked her at all. He showed compassion for her children, not really for her.

Seeing Tyrion slapping Joffrey is fun, too. I always wanted to see how this works, with Joffrey being that tall, and Tyrion so litte, wondering if he had to jump ;-). In ACoK he knocks him off his feet and beats him, but in AGoT it's just a good slapping.

Where is that scene with Jaime drawing his sword happening? It does not seem to be in Winterfell or the Red Keep... Possibly it could be in KL before the brothel, but I never expected that much buildings in KL were made of solid stone. The guy beside Ned touching him who is obviously not Jory could be Littlefinger.

The battle seemingly happening at a tourney would be Gregor and Sandor 'dueling', if I'm not mistaken. The short glimpse of Esme Bianco is nice as well, and the other sexual stuff with the woman touching someone's hand was Dany, if I'm not mistaken?

Sorry, but you must've misheard. Ned clearly says, 'I was trained to kill.'

if you pause it at like 27 seconds you can see ned and 3 or 4 other guys surrounded by jaime and several lannisters. i assume thats the scene where they are attacked and jory is killed b/c towards the end of the trailer it shows ned fighting a lannister in a similar environment.

Oh, and by the way, does anybody know why it is Will and not Gared who is executed by Ned? I really hate this kind of change...

No idea, but I'd guess its because they couldn't get the actor playing gared in during the reshoot for whatever reason. I'm not sure why it matters tbh, very insignificant.

That's clearly new dialogue from Robert talking about "knowing a war is coming." Curious just how he knows this. Maybe it's just a gut feeling, like he can taste it on wind, seeing as how he's been though several by this point. The irony, of course, is that he won't see this war, which I don't expect is what he's thinking.

He says "I was trained to kill," not "I was not trained to kill."

That's definitely the scene where Jaime and his men attack Ned, Jory, etc. Weren't they on their horses in the book? Maybe that's why they have the horses tied up next to the fight, maybe one will fall on Ned in the confusion to break his leg?

The battle seemingly happening at a tourney would be Gregor and Sandor 'dueling', if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, that's what it is. You can see Loras rolling around in the dirt behind them.

The short glimpse of Esme Bianco is nice as well, and the other sexual stuff with the woman touching someone's hand was Dany, if I'm not mistaken?

That's Dany and I think Doreah "teaching her bed arts."

Eseme looks lovely and it looks as if Tyrion is getting a face full of her chest in that shot...it can be good to be an actor, I guess.

I really like how Drogo looks, Jason Momoa looks completely different than his Stargate incarnation.

Noticed it is Will being executed and not Gared at the beginning, so that's a change. I think we heard about that already, or there was speculation about it. Interesting change, though I'm not sure why it was done. Maybe just cause the actor playing Will has such an interesting face? Maybe for scheduling reasons?

Any idea of what book conversation, if any, the "there's a war comin..." line from Robert tracks to? Can't think of anything off the top of my head...

i think it's just for dramatic effect for the trailer. i don't remember him saying it either.

also, pause around 26 seconds where jaime draws his sword. behind him are two lannister soldiers with their helmets closed. now we can see what they look like fully armored. kind of samurai looking but i don't immediately think that when i see them. i'm sure screenshots will be taken by someone :)

I think that the Eddard-Cersei scene, Lena is going to be AWESOME :D, might have something to do with the Eddard-Jaime confrontation?

And I think the Robert scene might be to do with finding out that Dany is pregnant and the repercussions of that.

One thing I do want to mention is how awesome the colours look. I particularly like the clip with the almost greyscale horses marching with the blue sky.

This is going to be EPIC!

My actual thoughts: I like this as a trailer, since its full of nice soundbites (Bean is awesome at this), yet it doesn't really give much away. Making Old Nan somewhat of a narrator is great, love it. Clearly quite a few new scenes and dialogue added, but its difficult to say whether they are correctly added on the basis of this trailer. Everyone looks great, Bean doesn't look like my Ned but he's an excellent actor so I don't mind.

i think it's just for dramatic effect for the trailer. i don't remember him saying it either.

also, pause around 26 seconds where jaime draws his sword. behind him are two lannister soldiers with their helmets closed. now we can see what they look like fully armored. kind of samurai looking but i don't immediately think that when i see them. i'm sure screenshots will be taken by someone :)

Yeah, glancing through one of my GoT copies I gather its a reference to Dany marrying and having access to a Drogo's khalasar...it certainly can't be Robert referencing the Others.

Pretty sure it's this.

Footage in trailers also doesn't necessarily make it into the actual film/show. Sometimes extra lines are put in to explain the larger situation or to foreshadow more succinctly. These trailers don't seem to make use of an external narrator so it's about making something coherent out of the quick cuts.

Overall give it an A-. The teaser doesn't give me goose bumps but it's still very well done and it remains surreal to see it all brought to life. Y'know that it's actually happening.

ETA: Not to say the line won't make the series. Considering the book was 800+ pages they're going to have cut corners in places.

Archived