3rd Game of Thrones Teaser Upcoming

Westeros

I loved it!

Tyrion slapping Joffrey was the best part. :)

I've said this before but Peter Dinklage just isn't ugly even though that's the vibe we get of Tyrion's appearance in the books and I'm pretty disappointed, albeit not surprised, that they didn't do anything with makeup to distort his facial features.

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else think that Leana Heady looks way too sweet, innocent, pleasant and gentle to play Cersei? I'm really excited to see how she portrays the character!

Actually, come to think of it, most of the actors look nothing like what I expected the characters to look like (except maybe Joff and Bran) but they all seem to convey their characters incredibly well!

I think the trailer looks fantastic, although I wish that they had stuck to one of the storylines. The Dany stuff doesn't seem to fit with the otherwise Ned-centric promo.

Speaking of Dany, her costume looks fantastic in this promo. I'm guessing it is the dress that Viserys gives her to impress Drogo. I loved the lighting for the Eastern continent. This costume makes up for the awful one she is wearing in the EW photoshoot.

I agree with Jungian Queen, Catelyn looks superb.

One thing that is puzzling me though is why they removed the mounted aspect of the confrontation between Eddard and Jaime? Is it to make the fight a bit more exciting? The question remains though, how will they incapacitate Eddard, or will Jaime be spooked by the City Watch arriving?

I was wondering whether they would break Eddard's leg, because it would mean that Bean would need to walk around in a cast for a long time.

I agree that the Robert scene is in reference to Dany, it is the only thing that makes sense.

Loved Lena Headey as Cersei too!

Wow, these just keep getting better and more awesome!

Yeah, there are lots of little changes and a lot of people are probably...prettier than they should be, but the tone is coming off perfectly. And that matters a lot more to me, personally.

I continue to be very excited!

Wow, these just keep getting better and more awesome!

Yeah, there are lots of little changes and a lot of people are probably...prettier than they should be, but the tone is coming off perfectly. And that matters a lot more to me, personally.

I continue to be very excited!

Interesting, which people seem prettier than they should be? Most seem to be saying the opposite, lol.

Looks pretty great. Only complaint I would make is that Ned seems too rough when he asks Bran, "you understand why I did that?" My interpretation of that scene in the books is that Ned has just taken off his Lord of Winterfell face and is being more of a gentle father in explaining things to Bran, I thought it was a touching moment. From that small glimpse in the trailer it's not really apparent that Ned is close to Bran at all and he seems like he doesn't really care. But it's a pretty small thing to complain about, and I shouldn't speak until I've seen the full scene.

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else think that Leana Heady looks way too sweet, innocent, pleasant and gentle to play Cersei? I'm really excited to see how she portrays the character!

You mean "sweet Cersei" who charms most everyone (who doesn't get to know her too well) with her perfect smile? I think maybe that's a choice by Lena Headey about how to play her.

Looks pretty great. Only complaint I would make is that Ned seems too rough when he asks Bran, "you understand why I did that?" My interpretation of that scene in the books is that Ned has just taken off his Lord of Winterfell face and is being more of a gentle father in explaining things to Bran, I thought it was a touching moment. From that small glimpse in the trailer it's not really apparent that Ned is close to Bran at all and he seems like he doesn't really care. But it's a pretty small thing to complain about, and I shouldn't speak until I've seen the full scene.

Again, actor's choices. Different actors will read different things into a scene. Also, a single line isn't enough to judge the scene by. It's out of context. You don't know how he delivers any of the other lines, or the totality of the performances from scene to scene. It's like judging the quality of a novel by the way a single sentence in the middle of the book is written. It's just not enough information to go on.

Interesting, which people seem prettier than they should be? Most seem to be saying the opposite, lol.

Well, I was specifically thinking of Tyrion, who is consistently described/perceived as kinda hideous. Mismatched eyes and all that stuff.

But no one else is really coming to mind, so maybe prettier wasn't the best word for me to use. Must think of the right one. :read:

My annotations on the teaser can be found starting on this page. I try to avoid getting too spoilery, so I don't note things like the lack of mounted people in that scene. I suspect you're right, though, that it's to make it more exciting. I suppose they could have Jory gettng Ned on a horse and telling him to flee, only for Ned to turn back or have the hrose cut down from under him... or maybe he'll just be directly injured.

Speaking of Dany, her costume looks fantastic in this promo. I'm guessing it is the dress that Viserys gives her to impress Drogo. I loved the lighting for the Eastern continent. This costume makes up for the awful one she is wearing in the EW photoshoot.

yeah, the one from the EW promos looks like a bad leftover from a Xena episode. Maybe it's just how it's coming across in photograph? Might be different on film with movement.

Am I the only one who pictured King's Landing in a completely different way? More medieval...

No, I pictured it as a quintessential medieval city. From the inside the production materials they're indicating that they're going for a more Medeteranian feel with it. I suspect that the drastic changes in the feel of the different locations, the different lightings and armor types (ie: Lannister guards being Samurai-esque) are meant to give the viewer a way to visually distinguish between the various, diverse places and cultures of Westeros and the rest of Martin's world. Granted, I guess I always did picture King's Landing as having more of a Meddeteranian climate because of it's implied latitude with various free cities we've seen but I've never really given it much thought.

Like you say, it's hard to interpret without seeing the full scene, but it didn't fit badly with my image of the scene in my head (except the lack of snow).

Often, in his interaction with the children, he's described as saying something 'not unkindly', and to me, it seems to imply that Ned isn't very expressive even in his gentleness. Starks are seen as cold, and Ned moreso than the others ('the quiet wolf')...which doesn't mean he doesn't care, as we see plainly from his POV, but that he is reserved.

So, yeah, it seemed consistent with the Ned we know and love to me.

In general, I love the trailer. They seem to have hit the tone of the series quite well, and it's just so strange seeing/hearing the story in this way. Using Nan's comments to Bran as narration for the trailer really hooked me.

It's easy to pick at details since it's a very detailed world, but for now, I'm content. (Perhaps because we got to see Tyrion slap Joffery! :whip: )

Often, in his interaction with the children, he's described as saying something 'not unkindly', and to me, it seems to imply that Ned isn't very expressive even in his gentleness. Starks are seen as cold, and Ned moreso than the others ('the quiet wolf')...which doesn't mean he doesn't care, as we see plainly from his POV, but that he is reserved.

:agree:

Hopefully the mood changes when in context.

A great trailer. :) The Old Nan bit in the background was wonderful and seeing the opening scenes live. Woohooo. :)

And I think the Robert scene might be to do with finding out that Dany is pregnant and the repercussions of that.

Good idea. I could even understand why he sounds weak and tired given what he has become.

And true about Catelyn. Its a great picture of her.

The "trained to follow" thing is interesting. Ned was raised honour bound. A great follower. The Lannisters were infested with pride and ambition.

One thing that is puzzling me though is why they removed the mounted aspect of the confrontation between Eddard and Jaime? Is it to make the fight a bit more exciting? The question remains though, how will they incapacitate Eddard, or will Jaime be spooked by the City Watch arriving?

Yes. I'm very curious about this too. Ned almost escaping on horse but turning back to help Jory is a good idea. He does need to be injured in some way after this clash.

Jaime and Ned knocking swords together should be fun.

Yes. I'm very curious about this too. Ned almost escaping on horse but turning back to help Jory is a good idea. He does need to be injured in some way after this clash.

I'd guess it's just because doing a fight on horseback is probably a lot harder; it's going to be harder to make the horses look like they are convincingly charging each other, etc., without anybody getting hurt, and you'd probably have to use expert riders as stunt doubles (something easier to do in jousting scenes because of the full armor and helm). I would think they would still have Eddard get injured, though I suppose it's not 100% necessary, but they probably won't go the broken leg route. We haven't seen enough to really have a lot to go on, but that Eddard/Cersei scene must take place later on, and Eddard didn't seem to have a cane, or be impaired (now that I look at it again, you can't see enough of Eddard, or see enough movement by him to tell if he's hurt; they cut from that directly to him fighting, which is probably why I got the impression he was able-bodied).

Archived