3rd Game of Thrones Teaser Upcoming

Westeros

I agree on the melancholy aspect of Ned. I really wonder what they are talking about.

There are quite a few heavy descriptions of Tyrion, and its clear he really is damn ugly, especially after the blackwater.

Still, its low on my list of concerns.

Yes. It will be interesting to see if they give him a few scars after the Blackwater. Again though, his size is his defining characteristic. They seem to have got that right. :)

The softer Cersei works very well but what about when she demands the death of Lady (for example)? I'm looking forward to seeing that side too.

If they use the line "I'm not your dog to command", that will be the biggest change in Ned so far IMO.

personally, im just stoked to see this series translating so well onto a visual format. ive gone through enough heartbreak over the differences between text and acting it out. changes are going to be made for better or worse. im looking forward to appreciating this series for what it is.

Food for the "badass Ned" discussion:

I imagine if it wasn't written by The Man himself, we'd think "No, now it ends..." out of context at ToJ a bit too Hollywood. So the trained to kill line doesn't throw me, and shouldn't throw you.

I'd guess at this point in the show Ned and Cersei are doing their little dance of trying to warn each other off (something that is basically collapsed into the Godswodd scene in the book) and so I think its in character for Ned to say something of that nature.

"Now it ends" isn't very self aggrandizing, so I guess I don't think it's really the same thing? Even though Bean is, yes I'd agree, injecting some angst into the delivery of "I was trained to kill", the fact that the character is saying it at all requires a motivation I'm finding hard to reconcile. But like I said, I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, especially because learning more about the context of that scene is probably crucial to judging fairly. Ned remains one of the characters I'm least excited about so far though, but that's fully acknowledging that the full product is months and months away.

I agree that I'm concerned about their turning Ned into the quiet, unwilling, badass swordsman. I commented on this following the pilot reports. The Jaime scene you mention was particularly not flying for me...

But yeah, I agree, hanging too much of an interpretation of how they're depicting Ned from one line almost entirely out of context seems a fool's errand. Wait and see, I suppose. :)

Am at work so don't have time to read all the responses in this thread, but initial reaction? Wow, amazing. This is really happening.

Bran looks exactly like I pictured him.

Ned looks and sounds great. I can't wait to see the scenes he has with Arya and Bran, as those conversations were AGOT highlights for me.

Drogo (I assume that's him in that Dany scene) looks absolutely ridiculous. What the fuck were they thinking?

That's all I got. This is gonna be awesome!

All we see of King's Landing in that shot is the courtyard outside of Chataya's very choice establishment. I think it looking relatively clean and well-tended outside of it is a legitimate interpretation of what that particular place might look like.

I agree that it's a change in that the Mediterranean shooting location, with its particular architecture, is at odds with what GRRM actually describes -- King's Landing looks more like medieval London in my mind's eye than it does the medieval town of Mdina. -- but this particular shot just gives us a very out-of-context look at the place. I think how they depict Flea Bottom will be the most telling about their perspective.

I also picture King's Landing as medieval urban squalor. If the Red Keep isn't like that, fine, but by the time the Battle of the Blackwater rolls around, if things aren't looking desperate and dirty, I'll be unhappy. Otherwise, I think it has the potential to look too much like Minas Tirith in ROTK, which was way, way too clean for an actual city, and pretty much the opposite of what GRRM seems to be going for with regard to overall tone and setting.

ETA: Aside from that, I'm very pleased with this trailer-- oh ok, I'm totally fucking pumped up now!

Loved the clip! Only thing that bothered me was the music (for some reason :dunno:)...And the chuckle after "Winter is coming", strikes me as off.

Yeah, that chuckle makes no sense at all to me. I go through the whole trailer, intrigued by it, then the chuckle makes me twitch. No one in the entire story is amused/pleased that 'winter is coming' or plotting for a long winter. (Well, the Others might be pleased, but they don't really count.)

The little "chuckle" thing at the end of the "Winter is Coming" quote comes from the pilot which has mostly been reshot. The same audio was heard in the first teaser from months ago which was made up only of shots from the original pilot. That scene - whatever it is - may or may not have been reshot, as well. Whatever the case, we really don't know the context based on the audio or how it comes together in the scene, so it's a bit pointless, IMO, to single that out too much. There was even some speculation that it wasn't even part of the same audio clip, originally - the line and the laugh - and that the two were spliced together for the trailer to lend it a specific tone.

I wouldn't get too worried about it. It's a single line of dialogue, purely the audio part, taken out of context and stripped from the video footage of the performance that goes with it. It's impossible to make a decision about it based solely on that.

This

There was even some speculation that it wasn't even part of the same audio clip, originally - the line and the laugh - and that the two were spliced together for the trailer to lend it a specific tone.

things like that happen all the time in trailers. they take some cool quote/scene and splice it together to make a more dramatic effect. i wouldn't get too worked up about any of the dialoge until you see it in it's true context.

Archived