New trailer and stuff

As I've mentioned elsewhere, so far everyone except Dany and Catelyn look almost sinfully like I imagined. I actually was a big fan of both the Tazmin Merchant and Jennifer Ehle casting, as they were exactly how "I" pictured. But I have every confidence that the changes made were for the better and the two women that they've selected will be great. Bringing these characters to life on screen, it is so much more important to have the right talent and chemistry than the right eye color. They have paid attention to the book and have tried to do the best with the fantastical descriptions that Martin provided and got everything important down (dwarf, insanely tall men, fat guys, kids, pretty women, blond hair, etc). I'm way more concerned about the direction of the story than the aesthetics of the people on the screen. But knowing HBO's track record, it may be slightly off the source material but it will be great in and of itself and provide new canon, new excitement, and hopefully entertain a lot of people.

I actually think Catelyn looks pretty spot on when you take into account the "aging up." Hopefully next Sunday we'll see some more sides of her than just "vuneralbe" Cat. Of course it's hard to show much of that without being too spoilery (e.g. showing the scene where she rouses occupants of the Crossroads in would reveal that someone tried to kill Bran). But I think the actress can do an early to mid-forties Cat very well.

Not sure about Dany yet... IMO it will take some phenomenal acting to keep the audience interested in Dany throughout the first season and much of the second (assuming they don't make big changes to her story). She will have to be very good at playing all the vunerabilities of a girl while emerging into a strong leader.

Ned is in King's Landing for some months. He must have interacted with Cersei on any number of occasions. I'd say this scene represents one of those occasions, a verbal clash that simply didn't make it into GRRM's final edit of AGoT, so to speak. ;)

That's my guess, anyways -- a plausible scene invented by the writers to give Ned and Cersei more interactions.

Could be, but i think you can see they are in informal circumstances and that she is trying to influence him.

They seem to be alone too.

due to things having to be constrained in tv series i dont think its a big stretch to suppose that could be the scene of their meeting in the gardens. Not a direct translation mind you. A very changed and indirect one retaining only their interaction.

Wouldnt be surprised Ned doesnt get his leg hurt at all either.

Or it could be just some invented scene without much sense to it.

I actually think Catelyn looks pretty spot on when you take into account the "aging up." Hopefully next Sunday we'll see some more sides of her than just "vuneralbe" Cat. Of course it's hard to show much of that without being too spoilery (e.g. showing the scene where she rouses occupants of the Crossroads in would reveal that someone tried to kill Bran). But I think the actress can do an early to mid-forties Cat very well.

Not sure about Dany yet... IMO it will take some phenomenal acting to keep the audience interested in Dany throughout the first season and much of the second (assuming they don't make big changes to her story). She will have to be very good at playing all the vunerabilities of a girl while emerging into a strong leader.

Well Jennifer Ehle is 41, so it's not like she was some young tart version of Catelyn. She was just who I imagined in the role and when she was cast I was absolutely stoked. She's a great actress, beautiful, regal face with fantastic boobs (and not afraid to show them) - perfect HBO material. But alas, it was not meant to be. It seems that she is filming Contagion not too far from where I go to school, which is a big deal movie (Soderberg directing, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laurence Fishburne). So it was probably a conflict of schedules that led to her leaving the production (at least I haven't heard anything about her on screen performance in the trailer or whatever).It's still an absolute dream cast and I'm sure that Michelle Fairely will do a great job. Tazmin Merchant I think was replaced, so hopefully they'll be able to get out of Emilia Clarke what they felt they didn't out of Merchant (but by all of George RR Martin's accounts, she was tremendous).

She's a great actress, beautiful, regal face with fantastic boobs (and not afraid to show them) - perfect HBO material.

I wonder did they cast the male leads with due regard to whether they had great pecs or packages and not afraid to show them? Jason Momoa says he spent most of his time naked, on furs, so maybe they did.......

Really? I did not know that GRRM said that. Interesting. It means he has time off to work on other projects, provided the series gets picked up for a season 2 AND a season 3. I'm trying to remember when Jaime gets captured. They could, feasibly, show him engaging in battle (and show some of Robb's part of the story as well) if he is not caught until midway through season 2 (for example). I just don't recall.

He said it in Dublin when he was here in October. It does allow the actor to do other things but it wouldn't allow him to join another TV series. Its a touch unfair to say to somebody that we don't have much work for you this year but you better be around when we do need you next year. But i'm sure they worked out something to compensate him for such a situation. :) And it doesn't rule out giving him new scenes in any S2. Just that he will be around much more in S1 and S3.

In the book, Jaime gets captured near the end of aGoT. For the reader, it gives us something to hold onto after the death of Ned. I don't think they can put that off into S2. Jaime's capture is why Tywin sends Tyrion to KL. What they could do is bring forward some of his scenes in aSoS into any S2 though.

So in a sense whatever non-superficial qualities Catelyn has going for her is still not enough to merit much attention, especially given what seems like Cersei's relatively expanded role, and I can't help but find it disappointing, if admittedly prematurely.

I honestly think you are over-reacting. We've seen 3 big scenes so far. Ned's chat with Bran, Ned's chat with Catelyn and Ned's chat with Cersei. Ned's chat with Catelyn gets more time that his chat with Cersei. His chat with Catelyn is the first thing we see in that teaser. Cersei is just in the middle of the other teaser and could be almost lost amongst everyone else.

Never mind that in a 1 minute teaser one could never do Catelyn any justice. But showing Cersei looking glamourous is easy. Catelyn's character can only be experienced by reading it or seeing it in a full episode. Then the actress will earn accolades (hopefully). Expecting an unknown actress to grab our attention before hand, playing a rather subtle character like Cat, is asking for way too much.

In that 1 line Cersei says, seems cool enough to me. :) But we really are way too analysing this thing. :P

So it was probably a conflict of schedules that led to her leaving the production

The rumour is that GoT would demand a huge amount of time from her and given she has a young family, she decided against it.

Or it could be just some invented scene without much sense to it.

I'm sure there will be sense to it. Its not that hard. :) Cersei was bound to get some new scenes given the actress, since she doesn't feature that prominently really in aGoT. She drops into the background.

So this may or may not be one of those new scenes but i'm sure there will be some.

IMO it will take some phenomenal acting to keep the audience interested in Dany throughout the first season

I don't see why. Dany has a great story in S1. S2 could be a challenge since people might start to get impatient then but S1 might earn the producers some patience.

Mostly all this speculation based on a few seconds of material is pretty premature, yeah, but it's difficult to say that it's wrong for someone to do so, or be disappointed by what ultimately are just speculations.

Once the first season is done, I think we'll have a much better sense of how well or poorly the production has treated certain characters.

I wonder did they cast the male leads with due regard to whether they had great pecs or packages and not afraid to show them? Jason Momoa says he spent most of his time naked, on furs, so maybe they did.......

On HBO? Yeah, they do take those things into consideration. Think about how big the female audience is for some of their shows, largely due to the male cast members and their eye candy value (on True Blood, especially).

He said it in Dublin when he was here in October. It does allow the actor to do other things but it wouldn't allow him to join another TV series. Its a touch unfair to say to somebody that we don't have much work for you this year but you better be around when we do need you next year. But i'm sure they worked out something to compensate him for such a situation. :) And it doesn't rule out giving him new scenes in any S2. Just that he will be around much more in S1 and S3.

In the book, Jaime gets captured near the end of aGoT. For the reader, it gives us something to hold onto after the death of Ned. I don't think they can put that off into S2. Jaime's capture is why Tywin sends Tyrion to KL. What they could do is bring forward some of his scenes in aSoS into any S2 though.

Gotcha! Wow, Jaime gets captured that soon. I've been chomping at the bit to reread the books, but part of me doesn't want to until after the first season because it might taint my viewing of the adaptation and turn me into a Bitter Betty.

Thanks for the info. I hope they utilize him a bit in Season 2. If the show gets a greenlight for 3 seasons here, we will have to keep Jaime fresh in the viewers' minds somehow (throughout season 2).

Thanks for the info.

No problem. You might even end up preferring how they do things in the HBO show yet. ;)

In aCoK Jaime almost escapes midway through the book. We only hear this second hand. They could show this, although what GRRM said has made me more unsure on this point.

Regarding speculation. I can't say I am disappointed in views expressed here. It's interesting to see the variety of thought. But there is a tendency on boards to worry too much based on very little (if any)evidence.

No problem. You might even end up preferring how they do things in the HBO show yet. ;)

In aCoK Jaime almost escapes midway through the book. We only hear this second hand. They could show this, although what GRRM said has made me more unsure on this point.

Regarding speculation. I can't say I am disappointed in views expressed here. It's interesting to see the variety of thought. But there is a tendency on boards to worry too much based on very little (if any)evidence.

I agree. We can hardly judge an entire symphony based on one or two notes. We have no context in terms of how the adaptation builds to the specific narrative and place/time. We're left with a few staccato, disjointed "sounds" more than anything.

I just hope for a season 2, and then a season 3 (and so on). Holding breath . . .

Jaime's role in Season 2 could be upped in a few ways - the aforementioned escape attempt can be dramatized and I think probably will. I think we can also get a few scenes of him interacting with his Tully and Stark captors, a nice scene or two to show his strength and defiance despite his pitiful condition. We sort of get that when we see him meeting with Catelyn that time, but it could be drawn out and dramatized more into a psychological back and forth game of brinkmanship. Done well, it could be rather compelling. Still, his role would be small - maybe he'd show up in all of three or at best four episodes in Season 2? Just how it feels to me.

Well, to be honest, it's entirely possible that the show's interpretation of some character will come off very poorly to me. So I'll stick with the word. I very much doubt it due to everything I've seen, read and/or have been told but ... well, anything's possible.

Before S2 production starts, HBO thinks they need a zombie show to compete with The Walking Dead, so Thoros isn't just reviving Beric, instead, we have an army of zombies haunting the Riverlands. Jamie and Brienne have to fight their way through zombies to escape, and Roose Bolton is a vampire.

Before S2 production starts, HBO thinks they need a zombie show to compete with The Walking Dead, so Thoros isn't just reviving Beric, instead, we have an army of zombies haunting the Riverlands. Jamie and Brienne have to fight their way through zombies to escape, and Roose Bolton is a vampire.

And clearly the Stark kids are actually werewolves. :P

And I do understand that people are going to worry most about their favourite characters. Especially if those favourite characters are more subtle than others and could easily be done badly. For example, I expect the Lannisters (Cersei could be the exception) to be very popular because they are fun characters (not that they will avoid all detractors). Ned should generally work because of the Sean Bean factor. The kids are fine. But you only have to read what people say about Cat on this board to know she is going to be difficult to portray. Similarly Dany. Jon might take a bashing in some circles too (too emo).

So yes, female characters mostly.

Well ok, i can understand Catelyn is distressed a lot at that point in time.

Hopefully she will present her other side more later on.

-edit-

It may have been just the choice of words, that "17 years ago you rode off with robert,... and now youre leaving me again, sob". It just seemed like a wife sobbing because her husband goes out with his friends and doesnt stay home.

bBawww you dont loooove meeeee!!

I dont know, it just didnt sit well with me taken out of context like that.

And i dont really agree with the choice of the actress and how aged everyone is.

Jon is unforgivably irritating though.

Tyrion will look awesome with a beard.

Shame they didnt go with canon hair and eye colors.

Robert is not convincing. Looks more like some good natured fatso then someone who smashed Rhaegar and won every melee in tournaments etc. There should be traces of that person visible still. He is too small.

Cersei looks too old and well past her prime, even fake and definitely not blonde enough.

Theyre supposed to be golden not light brown.

Also :

http://game-of-thrones.squarespace.com/storage/daenerys.jpg

:D :thumbsup:

Now that... is the proper ... jeau de vivre.

did you read a different book

there is just so much detail in the series, i am shocked at how well they have conveyed the bulk of all that work. its incredible. its looking to me like one of the best visual portrayals of a novel. hopefully its gets good ratings and they keep doing new seasons. hopefully this will light a fire under martin and inspire him to get it goin with the next novels.

Jaime's role in Season 2 could be upped in a few ways - the aforementioned escape attempt can be dramatized and I think probably will. I think we can also get a few scenes of him interacting with his Tully and Stark captors, a nice scene or two to show his strength and defiance despite his pitiful condition. We sort of get that when we see him meeting with Catelyn that time, but it could be drawn out and dramatized more into a psychological back and forth game of brinkmanship. Done well, it could be rather compelling. Still, his role would be small - maybe he'd show up in all of three or at best four episodes in Season 2? Just how it feels to me.

They could show him bribing a servant to give him regular news of the war, which would also keep the audience updated. Two birds with one stone.

If they want to sex it up a bit and leave Jaime's fidelity to Cersei behind, he could seduce a maidservant and have her relay the information. I reckon there'd be plenty of appreciative female viewers for that. (IIRC, he was given a cell befitting his birth and station until the escape attempt.)

They could show him bribing a servant to give him regular news of the war, which would also keep the audience updated. Two birds with one stone.

If they want to sex it up a bit and leave Jaime's fidelity to Cersei behind, he could seduce a maidservant and have her relay the information. I reckon there'd be plenty of appreciative female viewers for that. (IIRC, he was given a cell befitting his birth and station until the escape attempt.)

As nice as it would be to see Jaime "sexing it up" with someone other than Cersei, I feel it would be too much of a departure from his character--at least in this point in the series.

But, I'm all for seeing lots of Jaime without a shirt, working out, sparring, sweaty . . . naked. Oh yeah.

(fans self)

Archived