New trailer and stuff

Hello,long time lurker and 1st time poster.After seeing the 3rd trailer I can say honestly that I'm excited about this show.If this turns out to be as big a hit as I suspect then all will be well.As for the changes I am not all that worried about it.A lot of the bickering reminds me of what it was like when LOTR came out we had purists screaming bloody murder and all that.Robert looks just like the burnt out King I have always seen in my head.Can't wait to see Tyrion slap Joffery like the little bastard he is.

I don't think anyone is saying the show is going to suck because Addy is average height, has brown hair and is lacking the enormous powerlifter-like stature he is described as having in the books, but moreso are worried by it as a sign of the producers' willingness to fudge the details and how that will in turn effect the rest of the story.

For example the fact that Robert and all his true children (and brothers) have "coal-black" hair and this is part of the evidence for the rebellion against the golden-haired Joffrey and the reason why Jon Arryn originally became suspicious. Now if Cersei and Jaime have dark blond hair and Robert has brown hair, this is going to be far less compelling on a 'gut' level. Tweaks can obviously be made to solve the problem like revealing that Jon discovered the affair, but it raises the question of why not dye his hair a little darker, and the twins' a little lighter to avoid that headache?

I personally don't think Robert needs to look like Conan Stevens in a fat suit, but Addy is really going to have to sell the physicality of an Olympian gone to seed for me to see him as Robert. Henry VIII wasn't running around in full armor with a war-hammer in his later days(due to his enormous weight, health problems and the leg injury that troubled him for the better part of his adult life and exacerbated the former two) so the comparison is pretty hard to buy.

Again, not a death knell by any means, but a justifiable concern insofar as it reflects on the direction the producers have chosen to take.

Let optimism never be denied, but there is a place for well-intended concern.

I personally don't think Robert needs to look like Conan Stevens in a fat suit, but Addy is really going to have to sell the physicality of an Olympian gone to seed for me to see him as Robert.

I understand the concern about the hair. But they have dyed the Lannisters blond, so I think we will see that Lannister's hair looking noticeably different from Roberts. We have seen pictures where they look pretty blond to me. Now, in one of the clips, Jaime looked less blond but i'm imagining that is a lighting issue, an exception rather than the rule. I don't see why they'd bother dyeing hair if they don't dye them properly.

I was wondering whether they were going for a "greying Robert" look? Maybe his previous black hair was vanishing like the rest of the old Robert? Either way, I expect we'll still see very blond Lannister kids and very black-haired Baratheon kids. Why else is Ned looking at that baby in the teaser before he fights Jaime? So its a concern but I see no reason not to remain optimistic based on the evidence.

I'm more baffled by the concern regarding Robert. Robert doesn't need to be 6 and a half feet. Unlike the hair colour, it doesn't affect anything much. Its a cool image for a book but I always felt all those tall men running around the place was a very "fantasy" part of the series. And I don't know what an "Olympian gone to seed is". I've read how Robert is described in the opening chapters of aGoT and Addy doesn't diverge from that (except for the size).

To me it just seems like they're going for a more realistic version of the story. In the books, I think we subconsciously downplay the fantasy elements even more than GRRM does. While his characters are all shades of gray and very realistic, their appearance is anything but. Armor is described as being extremely fantastical, we've got crazy eye colors going on, and in some cases crazy hair. I think the directors are correct in their reasoning that these elements need to be played down some in order to appeal to a wider audience.

We still have Lannisters with blond hair and Baratheons with brown. That's still enough of a difference to surmise the affair from the first book as long as it is consistent. We don't necessarily need bleach blond vs. coal black in order to make that realization.

I'd personally love to see the little details being kept in, especially eye colors, but I'm not overly upset that they don't appear to be following it quite that closely.

From the new short trailer i can say i find Catelyne very disappointing even if it is a very short scene, probably after Bran fell from the tower (i hope) cause she seems to be just falling apart in tears.

Also the actor they chose for Jon seems like he is going to burst in tears any second.

Not at all what i imagined Jon would look like in any way.

On the other hand I find Daenerys very beautiful and spirited. :)

All the women I've spoken to about the trailer seem to be doe-eyed over Jon and disappointed with Daenerys because she isn't the way they pictured her and yet everyone agrees that Catelyn needs to STFU. Funny that.

Put me down as one more in the camp that is not so excited by how they're doing Dany. It seems like they're going for a more earthy look than I have in my mind. I've always imagined her looking more etherial, a little out of place in the primitive landscape. My biggest gripe is the wig they have for her, which to my eyes looks like a bad bleach job... With her dark dark eyebrows, and the coarse bleach white wig... it's not at all the appearance I was expecting. C'est la vie. The rest of the characters look great to me, including Catelyn.

*Shrug* I guess with a cast this big, everyone will have something they're less than happy with.

:rofl: Joffery's hand is so perfectly affected, and I love The Hounds face= completely uncaring.

Edit: It is now my new avatar... Mmmmuwhahahahah!

Oh, hey Brude is it ok to use it? PM me if it's not. It's just so perfect!

Not too squee am I?

With her dark dark eyebrows, and the coarse bleach white wig... it's not at all the appearance I was expecting.

Are her eyebrows that dark? Seems fine to me based on that image. I think she is grand but GRRM made it very difficult for that actress with the beautiful woman in the world comments. :)

And I really like the glimpse of Cat. But i've always been a big Cat fan.

Dyed eyebrows look really weird actually, plus its not something you'd want to go through with as an actress I'd have thought.

Tamzin Merchant couldn't act, so if Emilia is capable in that department I'm happy.

I like most others imagined Dany with silver hair, but I will say that Emilia's presence fits with how I imagined Dany early on. She looks like the perfect victim.

I'm very interested to see if she can play the queen later on.

Are her eyebrows that dark? Seems fine to me based on that image. I think she is grand but GRRM made it very difficult for that actress with the beautiful woman in the world comments. :)

And I really like the glimpse of Cat. But i've always been a big Cat fan.

That image of Cat conjures up the final (epilogue) chapter in Storm of Swords. :) Perhaps a bit of fore"shadow"ing going on, in terms of filming.

Tamzin Merchant couldn't act, so if Emilia is capable in that department I'm happy.

I never found out why she was dropped, is that the word on the grape vine, she was just crap?

(What a kick in the teeth, can you image getting that part and then losing it?)

Heh. Nice catch. She's more attractive than un-Cat of course. :P

Well, Pod, let's be honest. Zombies are the new vampires, you know. I'd bet there are quite a few men and women who get all hot and bothered by the idea of getting their brains eaten out. :P

I never found out why she was dropped, is that the word on the grape vine, she was just crap?

No, that's just Ser_not_appearing_yet letting his prejudices fly.

We don't know the reason why they let Tamzin go. Perhaps the suits wanted to go in another direction. Maybe they didn't want in such an importan role -one of the flagships for the series- an actress so identified with the Tudors. Probably we never know.

If her performance was crap, that would mean that the casting director and the showrunners are a bunch of incompetents and don't have a clue for hiring her after her audition. I won't believe that. So I guess it was a different kind of issue.

Oh, hey Brude is it ok to use it? PM me if it's not. It's just so perfect!

:dunno: It's not my gif. Someone else posted it (I think on this board, but maybe it was at WiC) and I just bookmarked it 'cause I liked it so much. It's probably really owned by HBO, anyway.

:rofl:

I admit, I just watched that replay for a good minute. Love it.

I leave it up in a window sometimes just so I can click over to it and enjoy. Joffrey so deserves it, it makes me feel warm inside every time he gets hit.

Archived