Wikileaks

Cantabile

• 3 weeks later...

The man is complaining about being extradited to face rape and sexual assault charges. I'm not sure that I would take his word for it re: the idea of a society where men totally oppressed by women and feminism. It's a vague comparison at best, and a fatuous one at worst, the way it's quoted there. It means nothing, fundamentally, because there is no concrete comparison. I'm sure we could come up with a list of comparisons for countries anywhere in the world that would actually make more sense than "the Saudi Arabia of feminism".

Yes Sweden is the Saudi Arabia of feminism!

Even stupid females are allowed to speak their minds... (Meaning that even radical feminists are heard in Sweden. As is racists, nazis, communists and people of moderate views. Freedom of speach exist not only in the US, which is not to say that every whim of every nutcase is made law)

Just read this opinion piece from the Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/24/julian-assange-tizzy-important-work?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Given Assange/Wikileaks past history with the Guardian and David Leigh in particular I can't help but notice a distinct lack of objectivity in this article. In fact The Guardian appears to have it in for Assange to the extent that whatever they write has a bit of a credibility problem. David Leigh is writing a book subtitled 'The Rise adn Fall of Wikileaks' so he has a vested interest in its principal protagonist falling hard.

There's 2 sides to the Guardian / Assange story, people who've read/heard the Guardian's side owe it to themselves to hear Assange's side.

http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/webextra/id/600911/n/Assange-Speaks

I assume it's already been posted in this thread, but it might be a little buried now.

Who really knows the truth of it?

I don't buy everything Assange says in the interview, some of it sounds like your typical paranoid conspiracy theorist. Though in Assange's case there are people openly calling for his assassination, so some level of paranoia is understandable, and to a certain extent justified I think. Reading between the lines of David Leigh's article it certainly seems like the Guardian isn't exactly occupying the moral high ground right now. So I am also disinclined to uncritically swallow what they have to say on the breakdown of their relationship.

Archived