House Patches on Ebay

"Blackfyre"

Erm. Not at all. Kind of cool, but not legit. Not only would they need our permission, they would need GRRMs, and I'm certain they haven't asked us.

Looks like they sell a whole heap of other patches that probably don't have legitimate sources, either...

Thanks for pointing it out.

Erm. Not at all. Kind of cool, but not legit. either...

speaking of things like that, there is now an app on itunes about Game of thrones and It doesn't look like its legit. I haven't downloaded it but it seems this person is trying to take advantage of the upcoming HBO show and re-release of the the book to make some money

the app is free but there are adds in the pics of it in the app store so there are adds on the app

take a look

That one gets trickier. It looks like they've basically taken material from Wikipedia and so on, and turned it into an app with ads. But ... well, we run ads on the Wiki ourselves, so I'm not sure how one sees that.

I'd say that the app, being a compilation of "facts" about the setting, is probably legitimate -- much as unauthorized guides to LotR and such were legitimate as well, so long as they didn't infringe copyright.

Of course, if all the text is from Wikis, I wonder if it adheres to the Creative Commons licensing? Hrm...

• 3 weeks later...

speaking of things like that, there is now an app on itunes about Game of thrones and It doesn't look like its legit. I haven't downloaded it but it seems this person is trying to take advantage of the upcoming HBO show and re-release of the the book to make some money

the app is free but there are adds in the pics of it in the app store so there are adds on the app

take a look

The author of this app has contacted us repeatedly seeking sponsorship, we haven't returned any of his messages.

It is almost certainly not authorized and while he is sticking to "facts" it would still be copyright infringement as they are facts about a fictional world which is fully copyrighted. If it was a compendium about the series limited to information such as "Conan Stevens is playing the role of Ser Gregor Clegane." Those would be actual facts, and thus not copyrightable. But as soon as it says something like "House Clegane is a lesser house sworn to house Lannister." It is publishing a "fictional fact" and is in fact breaking GRRM's copyright.

That being said, unless you were very very protective of your copyright, that isn't the type of infringement likely to bring a rights holder's wrath. For instance George Lucas has let such informational websites about StarWars proliferate since the dawn of the Internet, because he realizes that fan sites are good business. Or Westeros.org as another example.

I actually don't believe it's copyright infringement. These details are all just ideas, and ideas are not protected, only their specific expression (i.e. the text as a work of fiction). There are a number of published works which are, basically, compilations of fictional facts based on novels which are okay, so long as they don't actually use a significant proportion of the actual copyrighted text, and so long as they aren't infringing on the author's right to exploit his text (for example, taking his ideas and writing an unauthorized sequel to his novel is not likely to fly with a court -- that's a right exclusive to the author).

Anyways, it really doesn't offer anything you can't find on our Wiki or Wikipedia, beyond a UI specifically designed for iPhones.

I wonder how up to date the info on Wikepedia is? Haven't most of us who've been contributing to the wiki (I do a bit here and there) moved over to the one you guys are hosting on Westeros.org?

I don't really know, to be honest, but it's not as if there has been masses of new info in the last several years. I would guess that the Wiki of Ice and Fire is, at this point, more comprehensive than Wikipedia's ASoIaF-related material, in part because I know they got rid of some stuff as "fan cruft" that I believe we've retained.

I just didn't really know if it was right for this guy to make money by selling ad space on a Game of Thrones app with out permission. I Know he is just reprinting what Wikipedia and westrose and tower of the hand do, but all those other places have GRRM's permission. Ran you are the one who is doing the The World of Ice and Fire if there is going to be a ASOIAF app it should be by you guys or some other people that have GRRMs seal of approval

I realize that the app will help spread the word on how great ASOIAF is but people who find the app are all ready interested in the source material and I just cant help but think there should be an official app for ASOIAF hell there should be a GRRM app

Archived