Curly haired Jon Snow.

Andhaira

Well, I think that they probably valued acting talent over hair texture at the casting. And I trust the casting people to do a good job, so I'm not bothered by the curly hair at all, as long as the acting talent is there. :)

I actually can't remember whether Jon's hair was ever described as being straight? The only description that I remember is brown hair, dark grey eyes and a long solemn face.

Btw, this is my first post, so hi everyone! :)

Like with all casting decisions I didn't entirely agree with based on looks, I assume they chose them for acting skills. As long as the characters are great actors and can act the parts, things like curly hair or a beard won't bother me.

Nope, I kinda like it. Richard Madden has curly hair as well, so it's not going to be something that discrepant. 

And since we're discussing hair and Jon, I'm probably one of the very few people who dig the mustache.  

Nope, I kinda like it. Richard Madden has curly hair as well, so it's not going to be something that discrepant. 

And since we're discussing hair and Jon, I'm probably one of the very few people who dig the mustache.  

I don't mind it either. I just have heard plenty of grumbling about it.

i was just surprised when the first pictures surfaced because he looked very different from the headshot that was posted everywhere when the cast was announced. i still think he is hot and curly vs. straight isn't something i'd worry about.

Yeah, you're right. His head photo was so different than the way the actor is looking now. But, I think for the better. The headshot seemed way too young/innocent/naive for me.

I didn't even remember Jon's hair being described on straight in the book. I don't see what difference it makes in the long run. I also think he looks great with the mustache look, but I'm clearly in the minority there. Honestly, of all the different things to pick over, I'm surprised people I haven't seen more people gripe about Bran having brown hair and not auburn. It was rather significant in the book that only Arya and Jon took after Ned, and it added to Catelyn dislike of Jon for looking more like her husband than any of their sons do.

Well is Catelyn's hair even auburn in the series? It looked brown from what I saw, but I could be wrong. They could still give Bran, Sansa and Robb the Tully look. Although Sean Bean doesn't really have the dark Stark look like Jon.

Maybe they're just toning down the "genetics infallibly dictates hair colour" thing - outside the Baratheon/Lannister contrast, it's not really necessary to give ALL families their distinctive look.

*insert crackpot Tyrion=Targ/Darkstar=Stark/N+A=?? theory here*

Maybe they're just toning down the "genetics infallibly dictates hair colour" thing - outside the Baratheon/Lannister contrast, it's not really necessary to give ALL families their distinctive look.

I think they'd have liked to include this but it would have made casting even more impossible. Like having Jaime and Cersei all but look alike. Virtually impossible with human actors.

I'm pretty sure they're having Catelyn in the TV series have auburn hair, but I admit the lighting in the few scenes we've seen her in do make it look more brown than auburn. We do know they're giving Sansa auburn hair though. While I'm sure genetically it's possible for two brown haired parents to have an auburn hair child, I suspect the producers would keep Catelyn's hair color a similar (though perhaps darker shade of red) as her daughter's, so it wouldn't seem as jarring to the audience and help with the suspension of disbelief that these actors are related to each other. Also, they'll want to do this if they're going to have Littlefinger go on about how much Sansa looks like her mother.

I really don't care too much about the hair in general though. For the plot it's pretty important for the Lannisters and Baratheons due to the whole incest reveal, and of course the exotic Targaryan hair, but other than that, I'd be willing to give a lot of leeway to them.

Edit to add: I think this picture of Catelyn shows her with dark auburn hair, but I totally admit that I've never really had a good eye for distinguishing certain shades of colors, but the caption writer sees it that way too anyway: http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Gallery/Entry/1761/

Archived