December Fifith Promo.

Andhaira

So my husband (who has not read the books) watched the Dec 5th promo with me. He wasn't impressed... Said it seemed to have too many characters and just overall didn't suck him in... Thinks it looks like a corset buster (whatever that means). This upset me, since I love to books, absolutely can't wait for the show, and would like to share it with him. Really sucks that his initial opinion is this :tantrum:.

HBO needs to maybe push the political vibe and "Sopranos" feel to the trailers, to pull in viewers who aren't into costume drama.

Although when he saw the promo on Showtime for The Borgias, he was interested. Possibly because he knows the story of the Borgia Pope and his daughter Lucrezia, and knows it'll be full of political intrigue, adultery, theft, rape, bribery, incest, and murder... I told him GoT was as well, but he didn't get that feel from the promo.

Shit.

Thinks it looks like a corset buster (whatever that means).

Ok. That surprises me. Didn't think there was much of that. I thought they played up the intrigue elements actually. But I do agree that it is hard to show people what the show is about if they are not familiar with the story. Its one disadvantage of using a fantasy world. Everything could be different.

Hmm, my boyfriend (who has not read the books) said he thought the trailer looked interesting. He normally hates fantasy stuff (doesn't like LOTR movies or anything) but said that the thing that stood out to him was the talk of the complex characters and storylines - which is what really piqued his interest.

Gosh, the Borgias promo looked terribly tawdry, and not in a good way. I think in the end your husband's going to like GoT quite a bit more. Just a feeling.

WHAT?!!!! What have you seen?!!! You've seen some clips haven't you! Oh, I'm so jealous.

I also thought the Borgias looked tawdry and a bit over the top- like The Tudors (which I just couldn't get into). I think it's because it's "history" and not "fantasy" that my husband (Mr. Judgmental I call him) was turned onto The Borgias. Anyway, I told him to wait and see, he really has no choice in the matter- I'll tie him to a chair if I have to for the first episode. Should be hooked in by the last line... ;)

Hah. The closest I got to seeing a clip was hearing the HBO opening credit (you know, the television screen going on and the crackle of white noise before the HBO logo shows up) as the door closed on George and Parris sitting down to watch a 20 minute compilation. ;)

But given how bad Borgias looked from that trailer, I just can't imagine your husband's going to find it better than GoT.

Thinks it looks like a corset buster (whatever that means).

I think the term is "bodice ripper," and I think it usually refers to romance novels and the like; not sure why he would get that impression from the promos I've seen. Sex is mentioned, but not really emphasized, not nearly as much as the character and political elements. Also, if he thinks there are too many characters just from watching that ten-minute preview, then that doesn't bode well. :P Here's what dictionary.com had for bodice ripper:

–noun Informal .

a modern Gothic novel or historical romance, usually in paperback format, featuring at least one passionate love scene, characteristically one in which the heroine vainly resists submitting to the villain or hero.

Also called bodice buster.

Hah. The closest I got to seeing a clip was hearing the HBO opening credit (you know, the television screen going on and the crackle of white noise before the HBO logo shows up) as the door closed on George and Parris sitting down to watch a 20 minute compilation. ;)

Cool. Didn't know they had seen that. Lucky GRRM and Parris.

Archived