December Fifith Promo.

Andhaira

In every "behind the scenes" show I've seen, they always go into detail about characters and the "feel" of the show, or (in this case) "the world." My husband hasn't read any of the books and he's seen all of the promos except for this one and he seems to be very interested and isn't confused or such. We're coming at this from such a close lens.

In watching the promo on the site and having watched the promo on cable, there are a few minor differences. In the television promo:

1. You have a scene where Tyrion is sitting with John Snow. Snow asks him, "why do you read so much?" Tyrion answers that his brother has a sword and he has his wits and a book is like a wet stone. Loved that little piece. I wish it was on the site version.

2. Dany telling the traveling group to "stop" until she says otherwise.

I don't see any white cloak on Jaime, though I thought I had seen one in a previous still--or part of one.

Viserys is quite crazy-eyed! I think he's going to be great to watch. Dany is so different than what I pictured in the books, BUT, I like this Dany from what I see so far and the actress seems quite lovely to me (both externally and internally).

The short look I got of the kids, I love. But, I'm wondering how much the series on HBO will focus on them. They seem to be at least 50% of the book series (if not more). I wonder if their "weight" in the series will be diminished in some way. I hope not. But, I'll take what I can get.

Sansa looks gorgeous! Holy cow. That girl is a beauty.

Arya is perfect. Just perfect.

John Snow . . . good choice in terms of casting, imho. I enjoyed seeing him in scene and seeing the actor speak about the part as well.

Jaime is great. It is a great taste for things to come and makes me nervous about this show getting picked up for seasons 2/3 at the very least. I want to see this guy chomp his teeth into the role fully.

Catelyn (despite all the grousing here about her age) looked stunning in some of the scenes that I saw. Her eyes are quite startling.

Ned is great. I think Bean owns the role.

Littlefinger! Who did not just love him? He's really wonderful.

Loved the sneak-peek we got of Varys--so tasty.

The Hound was great. I'll get a screen shot of him as soon as I get the video pulled off my cache. Rory M. just gave me chills seeing him standing there with his hound-helm.

We even got a shot or two of Robb, which I was thankful for. No Hodor yet or Old Nan (that I could tell), though I loved her voiceover in the mini-trailer at the end.

Robert is superb. I think Addy will rock it (and not be quite the "clown" people are suggesting).

Arya pulling out Needle! yes!

I could go on forever. But, that's it for now. Excited to see more feedback!

I agree with Drogo, but disagree entirely with the Hound. I think he looks fantastic.

Was Kings Landing a tropical environment in the books? I dont seem to recall that, but the trailer gives that impression.

I think the thing that threw me with Drogo is that his hair is lighter than I pictured it. I also always pictured The Rock as Drogo, with a long mustachio and no beard, so that might also play into it, but I didn't dislike what I saw. (In fact, Jason Momoa = :drool: to me.)

Kings Landing was always a port. I didn't think it to be tropical, per se, in my mind, it was always akin to Barcelona, or Naples, in my mind. Different strokes for different folks.

God, I loved it all. I disagree with the pushing for more action scenes though - the first book focused more on the intrigue than the action, and if they'd showed much more they would have been giving away every fight in the season.

I'm digging Jon, Jaime, Cersei and Ned - all of whom look totally awesome. Jaime and Cersei's little wordplays with Ned showed the animosity between Stark and Lannister perfectly. What we saw of Jon also looked promisingly faithful to his character.

I agree that Drogo looked a little disappointing though. Looks aren't everything though, we've still got to see him actually act.

Okay, having watched it three times I've now collected myself enough to be able to make some comments.

First, I have to admit that I was never happy with Sean Bean as Ned because to me he's Boromir. But, wow, I really felt like he stepped it up and added a depth and subtly to the protrayal, far more than I was expecting. Now that I've seen these clips I think I might be able to look beyond Boromir.

I loved the bits with Lena Heady. I love the way she has humanized Cersei; that exchange with Ned was just wonderful. I know others don't like the 'softer side of Cersei', but I'm a big fan. I think I have a girl-crush on her now.

I was really happy to see the Targs together - I'd never given much thought to Viserys but I think they chose well. I The casting of Dany was an awesome decision and it was great to see more shots of her in action. Being that Dany is one of my favorite characters, I loved seeing all those little, subtle exchanges between her and her brother.

I almost lost my shit when they showed the Gendry part. He's perfect and his helmet rules. So does the Hound's by the way. Seeing Arya grabbing the column looking like she just crawled out of Flea Bottom nearly had me jumping up and down with excitement.

Besides being a Dany fangirl I'm also a Jon Snow fangirl, so I was particularly happy to see all his clips. We all knew that Kit Harrington would be good at being emo, but I feel like he was also able to convey Jon Snow's naivety and earnestness in a way I wasn't expecting. And I am now a fan of the mustache - how could I have ever been a mustache hater?

The thing I liked about Dinklage is that he really seems like he's going to be able embody Tyrion's charisma.

No direwolves? Boo. Holy crap, was that a dragon skull? Eep.

Varys shuts Jory out, if I'm correct. I actually have troubles to keep that much bearded men apart. I didn't even recognize Jorah when I watched it first. KL could be more Mediterranean than we all assumed, as Robert himself tells stories about the warmth down there (girls swimming naked in the river, remember?), so the climate could be as it is in the series, at least in summer.

LF creeps me out, but that exchange with him and Ned was perfect. Had me squealing out loud like the fangirl I am.

Man awaiting some enterprising soul to get screengrabs, especially the rapidfire sequence at the end (Iron Throne!). So much stuff I didn't see the first time.

I was pausing the video and quite a bit of it seems to be shots of various characters- one of Arya pulling Needle out of something, and then the Hand's tourney with Loras holding up Sandor's hand in victory with the Hound looking not too happy.

Littlefinger is not creepy. He is likable, funny, honest, and disarmingly sarcastic. He is going to fool everyone. Nothing makes people to want to believe him more than saying to them they should actually mistrust you.

People will like him. Then they will hate him. Then they will admire him. And in the end they might fear him. Hell, he even fooled me when I read the book for the first time. I honestly liked that guy and thought as an outsider in this whole Lannister-Stark-thing he had no reason at all to favor any side.

I really hope him sitting beside Sansa in the tourney is going to remain subtle enough in the first season. There is not going to happen anything on that front for a long time, and Littlefinger apparently succeeded in keeping his 'obsession' with her a secret.

Littlefinger is not creepy. He is likable, funny, honest, and disarmingly sarcastic. He is going to fool everyone. Nothing makes people to want to believe him more than saying to them they should actually mistrust you.

People will like him. Then they will hate him. Then they will admire him. And in the end they might fear him. Hell, he even fooled me when I read the book for the first time. I honestly liked that guy and thought as an outsider in this whole Lannister-Stark-thing he had no reason at all to favor any side.

I really hope him sitting beside Sansa in the tourney is going to remain subtle enough in the first season. There is not going to happen anything on that front for a long time, and Littlefinger apparently succeeded in keeping his 'obsession' with her a secret.

Hell, after 4 books I still like Littlefinger! Very much agree with your description, and Carcetti is such a perfect choice for him.

http://boards.4chan.org/tv/res/13383068#13384536 4chan thread with some screengrabs.

He's creepy and likable, funny, honest( in his own way I suppose:)) and disarmingly sarcastic. I waver between wanting him to get his just desserts and him succeeding at everyone else's cost. I figure the reason why they let Sansa have the red hair and not the other Stark kids was just for the Sansa-LF connection, after all she has to look like Catelyn as much as possible. His reasons for sitting next to her should be suspect for the average viewer by that point- although maybe not to the 'obsessive recapturing of lost love' extent anyone who has read the books knows.

Archived