Watch Inside Game of Thrones

Westeros

She did say Caersei is tricky, layered, power-mad then added smart and political.

Which is exactly like Cersei was portrayed up to A Feast of crows.

I see no problem there.

Unless people think she should have spilled everything and revealed all of her character arc before anyone watched the series.

For some reason the version HBO uploaded on their site didn't include the scene between Tyrion and Jon that was aired on TV. Fortunately, someone uploaded it to YouTube and you can see it at around 6:07 in the video. I really think Dinklage is going to steal the show.

Thanks! I watched the other video twice thinking that I wish they had included an example of his wit and charm. :)

Reaction is still the same fangirlism. I sent this to my father, a great fan of medieval and costume dramas. I think my parents will end up really liking this. They don't have HBO but they have watched a lot of the shows on DVD such as Rome, The Wire, and Six Feet Under, and after watching Lost my mother grudgingly admitted that maybe she did, in fact, like science fiction. I also got several members of my extended family at Thanksgiving interested in the show. My cousin and her husband are very likely to watch it since they already have HBO and love SFF. They haven't read ASOIAF but they're huge costuming geeks and their attention perked up when I said it was fantasy with HBO levels of sex and violence. :lol:

Brilliant. So many thinks to comment, really... the talk with Littlefinger, the dragon skulls, Viserys true look of madness, Emilia Clarke's enthusiasm, Old Nan's scary tale,...

An the look on Arya's face at 8:37, while on the feet of Baelor's statue... :frown5:

It's great! But the scene where Tyrion and Jon speak should have been snowy... and the scene when Jaime attacks Ned should have been dark and rainy, and they should have been on horseback!

Otherwise, everything is perfect. Only the pronounciations are killing me (the way they say Viseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerys and Daeneeeeeeeeeeeeeeerys, I wonder if they're going to say Vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarys). But my favorite characters (Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei) are looking just like I imagined them, I hope Jaime and Cersei will show up on TV more often than they did in the books).

And when it said APRIL, my euphoria died down a bit. I wanted so badly for it to come out in winter :(

The entire winter season reminds me of ASoIaF a lot (the Christmas season of '08... best christmas season ever)

Wow, so much to discuss.

I'll just point out one thing. Very near the end of the video, there's an image of someone who looks very much like Sean Bean dying in some throne room. Could that be a flashback to Brandon Stark??

As I posted in the other thread, I'm pretty sure that IS Sean Bean. I believe it's Joff on the throne (there are yellow Baratheon banners next to it) and Ned being trussed up for capturing/taking him to the place that they do the THING THAT THEY DO. If it was supposed to be Brandon they'd have someone much younger doing it, since it took place almost 20 years ago. They've also not announced any casting for flashbacks.

As I posted in the other thread, I'm pretty sure that IS Sean Bean. I believe it's Joff on the throne (there are yellow Baratheon banners next to it) and Ned being trussed up for capturing/taking him to the place that they do the THING THAT THEY DO. If it was supposed to be Brandon they'd have someone much younger doing it, since it took place almost 20 years ago. They've also not announced any casting for flashbacks.

I'm not so sure. I think I can make out someone with white hair on the throne.

The scene screams Brandon to me. Why couldn't they just use Sean Bean?

I'm not so sure. I think I can make out someone with white hair on the throne.

The scene screams Brandon to me. Why couldn't they just use Sean Bean?

Because it would be a violation of every known sensible way of portraying a flashback scene to a viewer. How confusing would it be to the non-AGOT reader that this guy that looks EXACTLY like Sean Bean is shown dying. I don't think their resemblance is supposed to be that of identical twins. Especially again, considering that Brandon was supposed to be early 20's in the books when he died, it would be silly to use Sean Bean (even if they aged him up five years it'd be silly to use Sean Bean for a 25 year old person).

If they do show flashbacks of Brandon, it certainly won't be Sean Bean playing him.

I believe the white you are seeing is a mixture of Joff's light hair, a collar, and maybe even the glint of a crown. Again, you can see the yellow stag banners next to the throne as well.

If they do show flashbacks of Brandon, it certainly won't be Sean Bean playing him.

I'd totally agree with this. Would shock me if they used Sean Bean to portray his brother (or his father).

One thing that did surprise me is that they they didn't say that Jaime is the Kingslayer. I thought that would be a very interesting factoid to drop. Any viewer should find that interesting (without knowing the plot entanglements). In light of the EW photo's, they didn't give many spoilers away (unless you understood some of the visual scenes). Which is nice.

I was very impressed with this material. Watched it about three times already and getting ready for another view right now. Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger especially blew my mind and Harry Lloyd as Viserys would come in second, but I also appreciated the bickering between Ned and Jaime. Not really surprised by Lena's "smart" comment when referring to Cersei, she stated somewhere that she didn't read the books. And besides, Cersei does think of herself as being pretty clever plotting wise, at least in the beginning, so it's all good. Lena is going to make a great role anyways, imo.

And a very fangirl-like "Yes!" for the much awaited Robb shots.

Cersei was outright indicated to not be terribly smart in ACoK -- she has a certain low cunning, that's about it. She has brains, but she's short sighted and too often ruled by short term goals or desires. This idea that AFfC radically changes her depiction in terms of how smart she is at politics is, I think, incorrect.

When your great accomplishment is outfoxing mule-headed, stubborn, honorable-to-a-fault, way-in-over-his-head Eddard Stark, well, the bar is very low.

And besides, Cersei does think of herself as being pretty clever plotting wise, at least in the beginning, so it's all good.

Yup. Even at the end of aFfC I doubt she views herself as stupid. Just betrayed.

Not that I will mind if Cersei is made cleverer in the TV series. If Ned can be a better fighter, Cersei can be a better player of the game. It shouldn't change anything much.

I must admit, I also chuckled when Headey said that of Cersei. In the books, Cersei always was the smartest in her own estimation and that's about it. But perhaps they're making her less, er well, stupid? In the show?

I'd argue that she is intelligent, but not enough to overcome her hubris as it grows. Perception of characters' relative intelligence is obfuscated by hindsight and narrative scope.

That trailer really heightened my expectations. Little hairs on my neck stood up. This could be (for me) the best TV show EVUH.

If we're lucky enough to get a season that covers AFFC, I do think Cersei will come across slightly better on the show to viewers who have not read the book since they won't be privy to her thoughts, and in face they might be rather sympathetic in some ways toward her and attribute her bad decision making to the understandable distress of losing both her father and son in a horrific fashion very closely together.

Archived