Watch Inside Game of Thrones

Westeros

I suppose it depends on your definitions, and your expectations. Cersei is certainly arrogant, sometimes irrational, prone to self-deception, and just a poor decision-maker generally. Does that add up to 'dumb'? I don't know. But compared to what the uninitiated viewer might expect from the character, is she 'smart'? Arguably yes, in that she's an active plotter and player of the game. Completely outclassed by LF, Varys and Tyrion, certainly, but not just eye candy either. And it would be weird for a casual viewer to hear 'my character is pretty stupid' and then see her outwit the hero, Ned.;)

And it would be weird for a casual viewer to hear 'my character is pretty stupid' and then see her outwit the hero, Ned.;)

and Cersei had help from sansa, and eddard was pretty helpful when they where in the godswood. Circumstance and luck played a big part in how that confrontation played out

plus she did seam smart until we got in her head and found out all the dumb and insane shit was thinking

I like Dinklage as Tyrion - he was really the only choice.

But the way he delivered his lines when talking to Jon sounded really off to me.

Honestly, when he said "Look at me and tell me what you see," in that weird accent, Lucky the cereal mascot was the only thing that leapt to mind.

I agree. I also felt that it was acted without using it to the full. Delivery seemed very flat.

And the same goes for Baelish.

He say "that line" just with that ordinary smile, nothing else.

Then just kinda,..walked away.

But the way he delivered his lines when talking to Jon sounded really off to me.

Honestly, when he said "Look at me and tell me what you see," in that weird accent, Lucky the cereal mascot was the only thing that leapt to mind.

I confess I know absolutely nothing about british accents or dialects, but to me it sounded like Dinklage is trying to match Roy Dotrices take on Tyrion from the audio books. I know a lot of people love the way he voices Tyrion but I always thought he sounded like a leprechaun.

As I posted in the other thread, I'm pretty sure that IS Sean Bean. I believe it's Joff on the throne (there are yellow Baratheon banners next to it) and Ned being trussed up for capturing/taking him to the place that they do the THING THAT THEY DO. If it was supposed to be Brandon they'd have someone much younger doing it, since it took place almost 20 years ago. They've also not announced any casting for flashbacks.

I'm not so sure. I think I can make out someone with white hair on the throne.

The scene screams Brandon to me. Why couldn't they just use Sean Bean?

I thought it was Sean Bean as well, but after taking a closer look, I'm more and more convinced that it's the flashback scene with Brandon and Aerys. Either that, or they changed the flashback scene to include Ned watching on as his father is burned.

I suspect it's a flashback on the order of the tower of joy: a dream, or a nightmare, with consequent deviations from reality that slip into any dream. It could be Ned dreaming himself present, it could even be Ned dreaming himself in Brandon's place.

i doubt it's ned watchin his father being burned alive. aerys doesn't seem like the guy who would just let ned walk out after that. smegma is probably right that it's modern day ned being captured. however, it was said that the only scenes showed were up until episode 5 or 6 and ned is captured towards the end of the series. so maybe it is a flashback.

I suspect it's a flashback on the order of the tower of joy: a dream, or a nightmare, with consequent deviations from reality that slip into any dream. It could be Ned dreaming himself present, it could even be Ned dreaming himself in Brandon's place.

Interesting theory. Very possible. More likely than it being Ned and Joff.

however, it was said that the only scenes showed were up until episode 5 or 6 and ned is captured towards the end of the series. so maybe it is a flashback.

Really? I'm pretty sure that the shot of Arya sitting on Baelor's statue is from when Ned was executed.

Why is it more likely than it being Ned and Joff? I am honestly lost as to why it's so hard to fathom a scene where Ned is captured in such a manner. We see several ropes tied around him, and held by men, not just one leather cord like Brandon in the book. Is it really that unbelievable that they added a scene of that happening to Ned?

Honestly, when he said "Look at me and tell me what you see," in that weird accent

I always hoped for Warwick Davis to play Tyrion, mainly so we would have more accent consistency, but I think Dinklage will be fine - the accent in the clip is hilarious, but actually I think I'll grow to like it. It certainly sounds like no British accent I've ever heard, but that doesn't matter because it's not as if the series is set in Britain, and I think it kind of fits Tyrion. So I think that scene was one of my favourites from the preview, along with any scenes with Viserys in, who I think looks and acts perfectly for the part.

I think the "Cersei is smart, just not as smart as she thinks she is" argument is dead-on. Most people, including myself, probably think they're smarter than they actually are. No one thinks they're stupid.

When your great accomplishment is outfoxing mule-headed, stubborn, honorable-to-a-fault, way-in-over-his-head Eddard Stark, well, the bar is very low.

It's been a while since I read the book, but I don't think Ned was that in-over-his-head. He thought he had an arrangement all worked out with Littlefinger, and would've likely taken control of KL if Petyr had backed his play.

Anyways, that was an amazing inside-the-look. Color me impressed. I still think Drogo looks ridiculous (he looks like how I imagine he would if National Lampoon was making a spoof of HBO's GOT), but everything else looks great. It does all look awfully bright, though. And there looked to be like 20 people watching the jousting tournament when Gregor and Sandor fight. But I assume they'll fill out the crowd with CGI.

Catelyn looks really old, too. I imagined her looking more like the actress playing Cersei. The Stark kids are all perfectly cast, just based off looks. I always imagined Joffrey looking like Draco did in the first HP movie, but this kid looks bratty enough.

Other than that, no complaints. Am really excited for this.

In the books, the only living person who knows exactly how Rickard and Brandon died is Jaime right? IIRC, Catelyn was shocked to hear the full story. In the TV show, this info could be publicly known but I am not convinced by the theory, so any little bit of evidence inches me further away from it.

however, it was said that the only scenes showed were up until episode 5 or 6

I think they meant any of the big talking scenes would be from early on but those short scenes were from all over the series.

The Tyrion-Jon scene is my favourite (alongside the Cersei-Ned scene). But for me, as long as they don't have Irish accents, I don't pay too much attention to them.

Illryo should be fatter.... grossly fat right?

In the books he is. But HBO didn't find that fact very important. :)

Catelyn was aged to match Ned. So I think that is fine.

And the same goes for Baelish.

He say "that line" just with that ordinary smile, nothing else.

Then just kinda,..walked away

That threw me also. But I think that is editing more than what actually happens.

I was the one who predicted it was made up of material from the first five episodes, but they definitely have material going almost all the way up to the final episode in "Inside Game of Thrones".

Pod,

No, actually. Ned know how they died. Jaime asks her if Eddard had ever told her how his father and brother had died, and then isn't too surprised that Ned kept the full truth from her.

Catelyn knows Brandon was strangled, and that Rickard died afterward, but the fact that Brandon strangled himself while his father was roasting alive was something that wasn't widely known.

Regarding the complaint about Littlefinger's delivery being corny, it's clear they cut off Ned speaking further after his line about trusting him -- Bean's mouth is starting to open, but the next we see is Littlefinger's line. This is like the 'I was trained to kill' line, which in actuality is 'I was also trained to kill my enemies' and gave it a very different angle.

So... don't even trust lines delivered as being complete in themselves!

No, actually. Ned know how they died. Jaime asks her if Eddard had ever told her how his father and brother had died, and then isn't too surprised that Ned kept the full truth from her.

Catelyn knows Brandon was strangled, and that Rickard died afterward, but the fact that Brandon strangled himself while his father was roasting alive was something that wasn't widely known.

Right. Thanks. Rings a bell.

Cersei is smart, but her various character flaws pretty much hamstrings her intellectual capcity. Happens to a lot of people, so she is pretty notrmal as people go. It's just that she was born into a position that most normal people never experience. And her character flaws make her unfit to be in the position she occupies; at least if it's a benevolent Queen / ruler you want.

Having children by one's brother and passing them off as true born heirs of the King is a bit of a giveaway regarding the nature of her character. *This isn't a spoiler is it?*

Archived