Watch Inside Game of Thrones

Westeros

Here’s the streamable video, provided by HBO over at Making Game of Thrones:

Inside Game of ThronesMuch as we suspected, this 10 minute piece featured both some new footage and a lot of what would be considered recap for dyed-in-the-wool fans. However, this gave us plenty of opportunity to hear from the producers and actors (including some we haven’t yet glimpsed with the production, such as Joe Dempsie, who plays Gendry), and to see copius amounts of new footage. It’s hard to believe that we’re now looking at the wrap of filming in two weeks, and the first airing little more than four or so months away!

We’ll be posting our screen caps and commentary as soon as we can, though we doubt we’ll be able to finish it tonight (remember, we’re in Europe!) That said, we should soon have a few pieces up in the Previews section of Westeros’s Game of Thrones Gallery before we hit the sack, with more to come in the morning.

Visit the Site!

so much to comment on i don't know where to begin! i guess i'll just say overall everything looks fantastic! the only grip i can think of atm is the hound's face isn't as burned as i would like. however his dog head helmet looks amazing! i was afraid they would leave that out.

Hard to see it being too shocking. I imagine the vast majority of viewers will get it spoiled for them.

I expect the opposite. The American readership of AGOT is somewhere in the hundreds of thousands, so the large majority of the audience should (if the series is successful) be people who have never read it.

Viserys really looked competent in that one. But Ian McNeice would have been way better as Illyrio, I think.

Varys is closing the audience out of some very secret conversation. I like that.

What we saw from Jaime's and Ned's confrontation in Winterfell in the pilot actually convinced me. Jaime's grin was really nice, and he is clever enough to see the merit of Ned's strategy to stay out of tourneys.

Littlefinger was also great.

The audience will love him, as most likely no one is going to suspect that this guy might actually be, well, this backstabbing if he openly jokes about it. Admitting that you should be mistrusted, is actually the best way to get people to trust you, and back in my first reading, I was fooled, too ;-).

Sean Bean really gets the 'I don't want to be here'-quality of Ned on screen. We can see that he doesn't care for the rules of the Game of Thrones. He just does the right thing. Period. Bugger the consequences.

Oh, and Robert has a crown. I assumed he would have to had one, but it was neither described nor stated that he actually wore it in the book.

I loved the shot of Varys, and what we saw of Littlefinger. Sohpie looks breathtaking as Sansa, and I love all the passion Emilia showed in her interview.

Still not a fan of the Ned and Jaime stuff, but I imagine I'm just going to be stubborn about this one ;)

I expect the opposite. The American readership of AGOT is somewhere in the hundreds of thousands, so the large majority of the audience should (if the series is successful) be people who have never read it.

True, but I still predict the internet will warn a lot of viewers what's coming. Or maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic.

Leana Heady describing Cersei Lannister as "smart/intelligent" = lol.

I wonder what her take on her is going to be if they get far enough to do AFFC.

You can be intelligent and cunning yet lack experience and leadership abilities and screw everything up. Some people are too smart and haughty for their own good that they underestimate others.

You can be intelligent and cunning yet lack experience and leadership abilities and screw everything up. Some people are too smart and haughty for their own good that they underestimate others.

I wouldn't say Cersei is too smart for her own good. True, Martin didn't do the best job conveying this before we got into her head and Ned's not a very reliable point of reference for her intelligence, but we get several glimpses into her thought process from Tyrion's persona and even in AGOT she makes questionable decisions (such as closing the entire city after her coup against Ned) and heeding Varys' advice and dismissing Ser Barristan from the Kingsguard, etc. Her inability to make intelligent decisions and identify bad advice are what led Tywin to send Tyrion to King's Landing to rule. Most of the evidence for her stupidity obviously comes from AFFC though. Sure, it's part paranoia that was heightened from her son's death but she displays absolutely no rationality in her thought process and she contradicts herself in her POVS within the space of two paragraphs. In her very first chapter, I believe, she thinks that Ser Kevan is useless and the next paragraph or two, after Jaime refuses her, she thinks that he would make a good hand. Her POV is rife with contradictions (on my current reread I'm making a game of spotting every contradiction that manifests itself -- there are a lot of subtle ones buried in there that are really entertaining). Paranoia is one thing but she clearly does not think about things in a rational, intelligent manner, which even paranoid people are capable of doing. Now if you said that she thinks she's too smart for her own good, I would whole heartedly agree with you. :)

I think she has a very low cunning and Ned was a piece of cake. She was pretty much owned by Tyrion throughout ACOK and ASOS isn't a good guide to her competency because Tywin's running the show but I think AFFC and the decisions she makes when she finally has control of the iron throne effectively illustrate her general stupidity and incompetency.

I'm officially so excited that I squeeled with joy.

Almost all doubts I had have been erased and I'm doubting the rest of my doubts. Looks to me like this will be a really fantastic adaption.

I get the feeling that they are making Cersei more competent. It'll make her a more likable character if she isn't stupid on top of being a raging bitch. Though I wonder how much my opinion of her intelligence is colored by AFFC. Maybe she wasn't as incompetent as I think before the end of ASOS...

I actually don't see Lena Headey playing Cersei as being stupid. And she is not, at least not in the season (if you ignore the incest thing, which is totally stupid). And I'm pretty sure that her portrayal of Cersei in the fourth season is going to be more the paranoia than the stupidity card. After all, she cannot show us all of Cersei's self-contradictory thoughts on screen. And I'm pretty sure that I'm going to like the Lena-Cersei, which is a good thing, as I really despise the GRRM-Cersei.

Maybe Cersei will be even as sympathetic as that some people even suffer with her, when she makes mistakes (although I'm not sure that we will see much of her mistakes beside the whole Ned-business, and there her mistake is to be unable to control Joff). The Selmy thing should be addressed, too, but with the focus not on Cersei making mistakes, but on Varys manipulating things. Cersei has a lot on her mind after this whole affair, and we can't blame her completely for not being able to see through all of it.

I'm really comfortable with cool, controlled Cersei now, although I'd be really surprised if lioness-Cersei would not be in there. And by the way, I really hope we are going to see the physical abuse factor (i.e. Robert slapping Cersei, and she wearing her bruises as badges of honor).

I think she has a very low cunning and Ned was a piece of cake. She was pretty much owned by Tyrion throughout ACOK and ASOS isn't a good guide to her competency because Tywin's running the show but I think AFFC and the decisions she makes when she finally has control of the iron throne effectively illustrate her general stupidity and incompetency.

I think she loses it gradually throughout the books, when we first meet her she's calm and collected and then when Ned starts looking around she has to rush her plans and starts to lose control. After that she's simply reacting to what's happening around her, she doesn't have time to plot in the same details and she loses Jaime. Tyrion and then Jeoff's wedding push her over the edge.

Archived