On HBO’s Branding and Marketing

Westeros

Myles McNutt of Cultural Learnings, a commentator on the media and television critic, shares a thoughtful analysis of how HBO is marketing itself and Game of Thrones in light of last night’s Inside Game of Thrones explosion of fan joy.

It’s a thought provoking piece, providing a perspective that few regular viewers are likely to think about.

(And yes, we’re still screencapping. Not even half way through!)

Visit the Site!

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Its true that getting people to suscribe for Game of Thrones is only part of the goal here. They need to keep those subscribers, and to do that they need to ensure that Game of Thrones is heavily branded. It will be interesting to see how successful they are.

Great read.

The marketing strategy may or may not be effective, but I can't see a better way.

It's risky, in that putting footage and info out way in advance for hardcore fans to spread the gospel only works if the material is satisfying (which it has been so far).

It's risky, in that putting footage and info out way in advance for hardcore fans to spread the gospel only works if the material is satisfying (which it has been so far).

I suppose HBO is very confident in what it does. :)

But I imagine as we get closer to the screening date (4 months is still a long time when it comes to TV), they will also take a more populist route. Hoping by then that the current footage will have built a good foundation amongst its target audience.

Archived