All-purpose TV nitpick extravaganza thread.

So, I made this not for big changes, but for the small diversions from the books so many of you seem to get really excited about. Just being light-hearted really.

If thats the case, Instead of littering the forum with 'wrong hair colour' there, 'moustache' here, or 'incorrect House Crakehall banner colouring,' under there, why not just make one massive thread of nitpick! Here we can argue over our least favourite nitpick, or conversely our favourite nitpick, collect them all, etc etc.

Which nitpick do you think is flying under the radar?

Which nitpick will turn out better than the books?

Book-slaves! Assemble!

Well I personally am annoyed by the changes in hair color. Ned should have black hair, to match Jon's, and Robert should alos have black hair because it's such a big deal! I mean, one of the major plot points of the first book depends on Roberts hair color!!

It's also annoying that this is a very simple change to make. Just have the actors dye their hair. It's not hard.

At first I was surprised at Renly's short hair and beard (not the actor, I think he's just fine and even looks similar enough in a Hollywood way to Gendry) but I think he's still a cute guy and it probably helps differentiate him from other characters. New viewers are going to have a difficult time keeping everyone straight so anything they can do to help keep important people looking distinct.

Other than that, I don't think there's any nitpicking at all. LOVE EVERYTHING ELSE - even where they have strayed from the book. The costumes are great (I hate tabards aesthetically - they were fine for the books but I think they look too cheap and standard medieval for this story). I think the armor is fantastic (especially the Kingsguard - all white would have looked too Stormtrooper esque on screen), the wigs (yeah I think they are fine - especially Viserys). I'm especially glad they didn't use colored contacts on the actors. They look BAD.

Overall, I give the production an A :)

It's also annoying that this is a very simple change to make. Just have the actors dye their hair. It's not hard.

I was wondering about this. How often is dye used in films/TV? I could understand actors been more comfortable with wigs. A bad wig is one thing but a bad dye job could be a real nuisance. At the same time, i'm sure some people do use dye.

Given the complaints about wigs, i'm glad they didn't use contacts. Then you'll have complaints about obviously fake hair and eyes!

A few small things, though overall the whole thing looks wonderful.

The eyebrows on the Targaryen's does bother me - makes the good wigs look fake.

Don't love the actress cast as Catelyn, she just seems a bit too old and weathered than what I pictured, especially as the eternal object of Littlefinger's desires. Makes me long for Jennifer Ehle.

And at first glance I pictured Jory to be a bit more gallantly good looking than he seems to be.

All minor stuff, really. Overall, they nailed 99 percent of the look of this series, so major kudos to the production team.

I do wish Ned's hair was darker, not gonna lie. It seemed a nice color for the early scene with Jaime and Robert in the crypts, wish it had stayed that color. The resemblances between him and Jon and Arya is nice to see, and explains a bit about Arya's particular status of alienation. Would like it if Robert had that Baratheon black too. Not a huge deal, it just seemed so easy to keep accurate.

Jaime's hair, I could see it withstanding a few more blond highlights (but nothing extreme).

I am really hoping Catelyn's couture is more elegant than that of the rustic northerners around her. She's in the north, but she is expressly not of the north. Hasn't really seemed this way so far, but we'll see.

Would love to see Sandor's scars a bit more extreme and Tyrion a bit uglier, but I suppose it is to be expected.

Sometimes Lena Headey's wig looks lovely, like in the arrival of the royals to Winterfell, but sometimes it's distractingly bad. There was an explanation floating around (here? WiC?) that it could mimic the medieval habit of wearing wigs, but I think we'd be seeing that in more ladies then.

Bran's hair could be more reddish without jarring with the kid's complexion. Auburn can get quite dark.

Jorah's probably more burly and brawny in the books. I don't care though because I love the idea of Iain Glen in this role.

One change I look forward to: slim Lysa*. Honestly, "OMG a girl is fat and now her life is over" has bothered me for many years. There'll be plenty other things to let us know that her life has been rough.

*ETA: If it happens.

Robert is too small, and his hair is the wrong color. Gendry is shorter than me. Jon Snow has curly hair and a mustache. Lannisters still look like samurai to me. Ned being turned into the world's deadliest swordsman. Caitlyn not being attractive enough for my taste's. Bran looking too awesome. Dany's hair looks fake to me, while Viserys looks beyond perfect to me, for some reason. No mention of the Rhoynar. Illyrio isn't fat enough, and his beard isn't dyed. No pictures of Jalabhar Xho in any of the stills. Bronn is too old and too large. The Mountain is a foot too short. Kingsguard helms still look weird to me.

Tyroin's eyes should be mismatched.........

:agree: IMHO a vital detail.

Don't love the actress cast as Catelyn, she just seems a bit too old and weathered than what I pictured, especially as the eternal object of Littlefinger's desires. Makes me long for Jennifer Ehle.

Catelyn is perfect. She has had five children; lives in a 'medieval' world without modern medical care and plastic surgery; without lotions, potions, and air-brushing; has had to run a large household in an inhosptable part of her world; and has had to face her husband's bastard every day.

I think she looks well under the circumstances.

Perhaps Littlefinger (I love the name Pinky btw) looks too young? Especially with his interest in Sansa...

You know, not to get into this too much, but all the characters live in a medieval world without modern medical care and plastic surgery and the like, and Catelyn's life isn't any kind of outlier as far as hardship is concerned. It's obviously not a factor the casting directors used in any consistent fashion, so while I don't really want to involve myself in this too much ... I don't think that argument works. Catelyn has had to face her husband's one bastard every day, while Cersei has had to deal with Robert's constant infidelities (and we know it angers her even more than Jon angers Catelyn). I don't think anyone really expects physical stress to result?

:agree: IMHO a vital detail.

Catelyn is perfect. She has had five children; lives in a 'medieval' world without modern medical care and plastic surgery; without lotions, potions, and air-brushing; has had to run a large household in an inhosptable part of her world; and has had to face her husband's bastard every day.

I think she looks well under the circumstances.

Perhaps Littlefinger (I love the name Pinky btw) looks too young? Especially with his interest in Sansa...

I think the mismatched eyes, actually all the eye colors, are incidental. GRRM himself has said that if he had to do it over again he wouldn't have made such a point about the character's eyes because it's a pain in the ass and not that vital.

I've said it a million times but I'll say it again - colored contacts on screen (and IRL in my opinion) look bad and obvious and distracting.

Also, Aiden Gillen is 42. Not a super young guy, I just think he has a youthful energy about him.

As much as I would have loved Ehle (she's 41 so still a realistic age) I am sure that Fairley will be great. I haven't ever been disappointed with a casting choice by Nina Gold, so I say their track record gives them lots of latitude in my mind.

I don't think that argument works. Catelyn has had to face her husband's one bastard every day, while Cersei has had to deal with Robert's constant infidelities (and we know it angers her even more than Jon angers Catelyn). I don't think anyone really expects physical stress to result?

I'm not quite sure that I follow your point here. I read Catelyn as being a very faithful and loving wife, with Jon's presence a constant nagging thorn in her side. Whereas Cersei hates Robert

for calling another's name in the marriage bed, makes sure that she gets rid of Robert's legitimate issue, and bears three blond children for Jaime.

And with that power-fuelled chip on her shoulder, Cersei has every incentive to conserve her good looks and youthfulness.

Also, Aiden Gillen is 42. Not a super young guy, I just think he has a youthful energy about him.

Wow, I didn't know that, he looks more like 29 to me... but I've not seen him before.

Archived