All-purpose TV nitpick extravaganza thread.

This isn't really a nitpick and until I actually watch the show it isn't anything conclusive, but... things seem a little off with Ned and Jaime. Ned seems more nervous and concerned rather than grave, and Jaime seems quiet and melancholy. All the lines I've scene Jaime give are either a) not something he should be saying (justifying the murder of Aerys to Ned, talking to Jon about death (WTF?)) or b ) not delivered as I'd imagine them (telling Tyrion that he doesn't know who's side he's on). Changing the personality slightly of a character might not be a big deal but considering Jaime's arc through the story it's kind of important that they don't screw it up now.

Fortunately the only glaring miscast so far is Catelyn. But they do happen from time to time and it isn't the end of the world - I was planning on making a drink during her scenes anyway. :cheers:

A glaring miscast to you perhaps, but considering how they've purposefully aged up the roles, I think she's perfectly fine. Naturally, of course, you're entitled to your opinion. :) It sounds like we agree, over all, that they've done a pretty good job with the casting.

If I were to pick one that I was most disappointed in, it would be Ser Rodrik. I had such a vivid image of him, and the guy they chose really doesn't seem to fit it too well which saddens me as he was one of my favorite minor characters. However, I only saw him in that brief scene at the Crossroads Inn, so I'm hoping he'll grow on me.

This isn't really a nitpick and until I actually watch the show it isn't anything conclusive, but... things seem a little off with Ned and Jaime. Ned seems more nervous and concerned rather than grave, and Jaime seems quiet and melancholy. All the lines I've scene Jaime give are either a) not something he should be saying (justifying the murder of Aerys to Ned, talking to Jon about death (WTF?)) or b ) not delivered as I'd imagine them (telling Tyrion that he doesn't know who's side he's on). Changing the personality slightly of a character might not be a big deal but considering Jaime's arc through the story it's kind of important that they don't screw it up now.

Fortunately the only glaring miscast so far is Catelyn. But they do happen from time to time and it isn't the end of the world - I was planning on making a drink during her scenes anyway. :cheers:

I think Fairly is fine, but I've always had a few pictures of several actresses in my mind-- my "dream cast," or what you will-- who I think would fit the part better. Since this summer, I've always wanted Sarah Parish to play Catelyn. (She played Reagan Hamleigh on the miniseries The Pillars of the Earth.)

Re: Ned and Jaime-- I agree with you 100 percent. So many of the scenes with these two seem slightly off to me, in regards to their characters personalities. Most notable is the scene where Jaime challanges Ned to a joust, and Ned responds by steping up to Jaime threateningly, hissing, "I don't like to fight in tournaments. So that way, when I fight a man for real, he won't know what I can do." I mean, WTF? Book Ned would have NEVER done this. Not only does he not believe in fighting in tournaments for a completly different reason, he would also never say corny, alpha male crap like this. And finally, there's the fact that Ned is only a mediocre swordsman and jouster, so...yeah.

Also, the scene where Jaime talks to Ned about why he slew Arys, and how it felt like justice. Jaime would have never spoken to anyone, least of all Ned Stark, about killing Aerys. Furthermore, he never would have tried to justify his actions in this way, or empathize with Ned over Aerys killing of Ned's dad and brother. Also, Ned's reaction was weird, too. I can't see book Ned reacting like this; he'd probably be downright baffled if Jaime made this confession to him in the books.

For me Catelyn isn't off because of Fairley's age, exactly. I was struck by that at first but upon reflection and discussion I think it's more just about particular qualities (it really shouldn't be a problem to have older female characters in stories after all). Still, I don't think she is glaringly miscast, just kindasorta. She brings a lot of advantages in terms of talent. This is one role that would really turn maudlin without an actor capable of utter emotional honesty. Overall I'm torn; I feel secure believing that she's going to be compellingly portrayed, but I haven't clicked with the concept yet. I still feel like it's approximately Catelyn rather than Catelyn.

Ned is the other one who's off for me in this way, but I don't know what to think about that. The word around the fandom seems to be that Sean Bean was everyone's top choice for the role, and Martin's too? Whereas for me he seems very much an approximation of Ned. Even with that, though, I think he would've been close enough for me if the writing played things more like the books. And anyway it's mostly in these scenes with Jaime that I want to roll my eyes. Outside of those scenes, I admit I feel like I'm watching Sean Bean instead of Ned Stark but I can follow along and immerse closely enough, I think.

It's funny because they certainly aren't the only characters that feel different to me -- Cersei for one feels like a transformation in Headey's hands -- but they're the two characters that I can't feel excited about (yet!). I suppose it might have to do in the end with what aspects of the characters you find the most interesting or compelling.

But thinking back to the six characters that really hit my list way back when footage first started coming out (Robert, Cersei, Ned, Cat, Dany and Theon), I'm reminded how little we've seen of Theon. I'd really like to see how he comes off, and I'm a bit surprised that a video featurette of him hasn't turned up.

I mean, WTF? Book Ned would have NEVER done this. Not only does he not believe in fighting in tournaments for a completly different reason, he would also never say corny, alpha male crap like this. And finally, there's the fact that Ned is only a mediocre swordsman and jouster, so...yeah.

Also, the scene where Jaime talks to Ned about why he slew Arys, and how it felt like justice. Jaime would have never spoken to anyone, least of all Ned Stark, about killing Aerys.

Agree here.. but ned was not that bad as a swordman

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/How_good_a_swordsman_was_Ned/

Well I personally am annoyed by the changes in hair color. Ned should have black hair, to match Jon's, and Robert should alos have black hair because it's such a big deal! I mean, one of the major plot points of the first book depends on Roberts hair color!!

It's also annoying that this is a very simple change to make. Just have the actors dye their hair. It's not hard.

Pretty sure Ned had brown hair.

But the Baratheons having brown rather than black hair isn't the end of the world. Blonde hair is every bit the recessive trait when mixed with Brown as it is with black. Anybody who took Bio 101 will have a clue.....

What bothers me the most is Charles Dance's lack of mutton chops. Tywin as described in the books is supposed to have sideburns so shaggy he looks like a damn lion. It seems that they gave the chops to Rodrik Cassel instead for some reason.....

Pretty sure Ned had brown hair.

But the Baratheons having brown rather than black hair isn't the end of the world. Blonde hair is every bit the recessive trait when mixed with Brown as it is with black. Anybody who took Bio 101 will have a clue.....

The seed is strong.

What bothers me the most is Charles Dance's lack of mutton chops. Tywin as described in the books is supposed to have sideburns so shaggy he looks like a damn lion. It seems that they gave the chops to Rodrik Cassel instead for some reason.....

Many other characters are lacking any kind of a beard (like Barristan and Kevan, Pycelle`s beard appears unimpressive...). So, it`s a weird decision that they gave a beard to other characters (Jon, Renly).

Oh, and Cassel did have the chops.

Many other characters are lacking any kind of a beard (like Barristan and Kevan, Pycelle`s beard appears unimpressive...). So, it`s a weird decision that they gave a beard to other characters (Jon, Renly).

Oh, and Cassel did have the chops.

Oh okay. I mean, I don't have a problem with Cassel's chops in the show. I mean, tying them together with a bow? That is awesome!

But they do wear ceremonial white cloaks. I guess that's the best we can ask for.
The armor is also enameled with white as the detail color. I think it looks pretty spectacular myself. Some things just don't look as good (particularly on TV) as you imagine from the written word.

Ned's hair is indeed described as brown. Jeebus, people sure do get some odd notions of hair colors. A lot of people insist Loras should be blonde, for example, for some obscure reason.

I'm quite surprised nobody has pointed out yet the most flagrant miscast in this production. That is, Nicolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister.

People seems to dig this casting because his dashing appearance, roguish smile and air of self-confidence bordering the arrogance, like those were the defining traits of the Kingslayer. What a nonsense!

The defining attribute of Jaime Lannister is his supreme baddasery. He's the best swordman of his time, and the chosen one to portrait him is this wimpy excuse for a man? What a travesty!!!

For all those blind to the sad truth, that I know and fear are too many of you, go and watch Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut, preferably) and let realization bathe your eyes.

We have some fine talent in that movie who'll hopefully grace this series in a future: Brendan Gleeson (Why he's not Robert?),Kevin McKidd, David Thewlis, Jeromy Irons,Eva Green...

And we have the opportunity of watching in action some people who are already in GOT: Our Will, our Jorah, our (sight) Jaime Lannister...

Jaime Lannister, our mighty swordman, get whacked off by a seriously wounded Liam Neeson in such a way that makes Micah's death looks like an heroic last stand sung by bards through the ages.

Now, I can hear many of you protesting: "But he was struck by Liam Neeson , who's cool and kick serious ass. Sure there's not shame to be killed off by him. He is freakin' Liam Neeson! He sneaked out to safety thousands of Jews from the Nazi's evil clutches! He taught the perfidious English how high a price they should pay if they try to abuse Scotland's and Ireland's rights! He's the one who teach white slavers and spies not to mess with him. He rules Narnia, he presides Olympus, he is Darkman!!!

All true, but unfortunately, Liam Neeson stops being amazing once you put a sword in his hand.

He's soundly beaten for a seriously wounded Lancelot who barely could stand. He's totally schooled by Archibald Cunningham until the Englishman decided to pull a Red Viper. Bill the Butcher made a point of stabbing by the back or striking from distance all the time, but once confronted by Neeson, had no problem to make him bite the dust even if our hero counted with quite few more inches of steel's advantage. He couldn't even beat Batman, who's never be known of being a swordman in first place, and he wasn't even Batman yet! Not much more luck if you give him a lightsabre either.

Yet this failure of a swordman, lodging an arrow in his ribs just for giggles, manages to make "our" Jaime run for mommy. Pfff...

I believe that was a joke.

Yeah, a really long one.

Anyway - I agree, I think Sean Bean's hair is brown. Ned's is brown. No, Robert doesn't have jet black hair but it's a dark enough contrast from Cersei that it still works (dominant genes ftw).

I wasn't sure about Nicolaj Coster-Waldau because I wasn't sure how good of an actor he was. He was in a show here in the states called "New Amsterdam" and it was a flop. My doubts have been dispelled after having seen a few scenes as Jaime. His delivery of the line "I’ll kill the whole bloody lot of them until you, and I, are the only people left in this world." gives ya chills. In the few scenes available in the features he seems to have believable chemistry with Dinklage.

Archived