HBO shows on Sky

I was listening to The Right Hook on the radio, the host was talking about how Sky had spent a couple of million buying the rights to air all HBO shows for the next 5 years. I was trying to get change for the bus with be-mittened hands at the time so wasn't paying full attention. I caught something about having to wait 'til other channels rights ran out before they aired or something. Did anyone else catch it, (it was on Newstalk at about 6.45) or know if this deal means Sky will be airing GoT this spring?

Wicker

I recently saw an article that seemed to be suggesting Game of Thrones wouldn't air on Sky Atlantic until June 2011, trying to track it down again now. Given that Sky Atlantic itself seems to have been delayed, this isn't entirely surprising but I would think it would be hugely unwise. Sky know they'll lose a lot of viewers through downloads if they wait two months to broadcast the series. But then again it'll be over six months between Boardwalk Empire's US premiere and Sky showing it, so who knows?

OP, I'm in Ireland and have Sky One but only through my NTL cable package.

So it looks like I'm not going to be able to watch GoT on TV, as I don't have this new Sky Atlantic channel.

So sadly, it looks like I'll be watching from some random streaming website. As honestly there's no other way of watching it without switching to a big Sky cable package that I can't afford and am not all that interested in anyway.

Someone said here once that HBO don't care so much about viewer count (as they're not gonna get a whole lot with this Sky Atlantic deal) but rather the amount Sky is paying them for the rights, which must be substantial. After the check is cashed so to speak, who cares how few people watch it??

Excellent. It was an article similar to this one, using the same quotes, but it appears that the other article was confused between Thrones and Your Highness's release date (which is June in the UK). So Thrones still looks like it will be April or May.

So it looks like I'm not going to be able to watch GoT on TV, as I don't have this new Sky Atlantic channel.

Sky Atlantic doesn't start until February, and it's currently unknown if it will be Sky-exclusive or will air on their partner channels. Apparently the noise at the moment is quite positive that it will also air on Virgin in the UK. You'd need to contact NTL and see if they will be hosting the new channel as well.

they need to launch this channel soon, there is getting to be a bit of a backlog with quality tv. treme, boardwalk empire, tru blood season 3 all need viewed forthwith.

Sky Atlantic will be launching with Boardwalk Empire as its star attraction (you know, for the few people who haven't already DLed it by then), possibly with Treme on another night. True Blood is staying on FX and Channel 4 for the forseeable future, however, as they apparently have lifetime rights (FX definitely do, not sure about C4). The initial Sky Atlantic run will apparently heavily rely on HBO reruns: The Sopranos, Deadwood, possibly Sex and the City and The Wire as well.

Sky Atlantic also poached Mad Men off the BBC, not sure what other rights they got, butcontent wise it will probably be their best channel by far, Wert do you have any links to where is says Sky Atlantic might appear on Virgin, a tv forum I frequent seemed to be of the opposite opinion, that Sky Atlantic would remain a Sky exclusive.

Archived