On Kings' Landing being Mediterranean

jurble

I think there'd be a lot of people who'd indicate something like .... "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Would Oberyn's spear have BMF carved onto it? Would it be purple?

ETA: Funnily enough, someone asked on the gallery about what Dorne would be like if King's Landing is Mediterranean. I said it'd probably be more like the Sahara or something, rather than North Africa.

I said it'd probably be more like the Sahara or something, rather than North Africa.

Why can't KL be Rome and Dorne N Africa? Geographically, Tunisia or Libya are still a good way south of Rome. And the sea areound Dorne should mean the climate doesn't get very extreme.

The interesting feature regarding KL is that it is in the centre of the South. Its twice as far to Winterfell as to Dorne (roughly).

Why can't KL be Rome and Dorne N Africa? Geographically, Tunisia or Libya are still a good way south of Rome. And the sea areound Dorne should mean the climate doesn't get very extreme.

The interesting feature regarding KL is that it is in the centre of the South. Its twice as far to Winterfell as to Dorne (roughly).

Rome doesn't have palm trees. Kings' Landing looks like it's in Cyprus' latitude (lol Malta).

I tried to combine some Samuel L lines with Oberyns, but couldn't find anything that worked.

Then, what will the Summer Isles be? The seventh circle of hell?

Well from what people are saying, the earth analogy would be just about on the equator, so it works pretty well.

Rome doesn't have palm trees. Kings' Landing looks like it's in Cyprus' latitude (lol Malta).

Malta indeed. :) But fair point about palm trees. Still, with the sea influence around Dorne, it can still very legitimately be pretty North African like (even if the coast would probably have to be an extra few hundred miles south).

Now that you remind me of the landscape around Rome, it feels that the vegetation and feel would work really well for KL. Olive trees and the like...probably would be a lot less jarring than palms.

EDIT: the trees I was thinking of are umbrella pines.

Anyways it doesn't matter, they're palm trees. I'm guessing acquiring palm trees for a set is a lot easier than umbrella pines also.

BTW, I think this fellow is likely supposed to be a Dornishman attending Dany's wedding -- Martell colors turban, striped robes after Arabic fashion, and he's holding a snake in his hands (can't see it in this screencap).

It'll be hilarious if D&D admit to throwing in somebody from Dorne. That's fannish behaviour. :)

It'll be hilarious if D&D admit to throwing in somebody from Dorne. That's fannish behaviour. :)

Am I imagining it, or didn't they say they were putting in a lot of little 'Easter eggs' for fans. I suspect if so then we'll see a mysterious musician at the Winterfell feast with black and red robes. A Dornish emissary at Dany's wedding makes a lot of sense, too.

I've also have always imagined King's Landing with some "Mediterranean" flavour. But I would have preferred if this Mediterranean look had been more closer to Genoa than Tripoli.

I particularly dislike the palm trees. But if it's the price we have to pay for using Malta's architecture and this makes King's Landing seem real, I'm glad to pay this price.

I live in San Francisco, where people start complaining about the heat when it reaches 70 degrees. It's not Tripoli here. But there are palm trees all over, because people thought they looked cool and imported them, and they grow here OK. I don't see why the same couldn't be true of King's Landing.

There are palm trees in Campbell Town in Scotland, so for me the argument is pretty invalid. It is not how I imagined King's Landing to be, it just doesn't look grimy enough for my taste. But I'm sure it'll all work out.

As for Dorne, I imagine it is going to look like Morocco. With Sunspear itself having a heathy resemblence to the souks of Marrakech.

And I'd love that guy to be a dornish man :-D

Malta indeed. :) But fair point about palm trees. Still, with the sea influence around Dorne, it can still very legitimately be pretty North African like (even if the coast would probably have to be an extra few hundred miles south).

Instead of Rome, why not Sicily? OK, palms don't grow naturally there, but on the boardwalk there are plenty of them... Also, think about Barcelona or Valencia.

There are palm trees in Campbell Town in Scotland, so for me the argument is pretty invalid.

Well, I imagine that importing palm trees into somewhere like Scotland is a modern affectation. I can't imagine Scotland having such trees historically.

On the other hand, I don't really care that KL is warmer than in the books. Doesn't make any difference to the story. Dorne features so little that comparing it to KL isn't particularly troublesome. It'll presumably just have more desert. Like North Africa.

Archived