Daenerys appearance

C.T. Phipps

Ugh, this is a huge pet peeve of mine and it always gets thrown out there when people talk about thin women. Thin women with small bones and breasts and hips does not equal pedophilia, nor does it mean that they look like twelve year old boys. It means they like women with that body type. I hate that that people call them "not real women". Anyway, pedophilia is way more complicated and perverse than that. People are so misinformed as to what constitutes a sexual perversion.

sorry to tweak your peeve (that almost sounds dirty). In following posts, I state that I've seen women who are ultra thin (even w/super small boobs), but there is something about their facial features and maturity that tells you, "hey this is a woman, not a little girl." I think in most cases, this is true. I don't recall anyone saying that a super thin girl is "not a real woman." But, maybe I didn't read closely enough.

As a child I was extremely thin (up until my early 20's), borderline anorexic, and having been groomed as a target and abused myself, my attacker was very specific in his "techniques" and his "preferences." Not that anyone here gives a shit (or should for that matter), but to call someone ill informed when you don't know the extent of their background or personal experience is jumping the gun a bit.

Not to darken the mood, but I think connecting a "12-year old body" to "hotness" is, in and of itself, quite vile. If that offends people here, well, not sure what to tell ya.

It's just highly disconcerting to look at a beautiful young woman and have men happily quip about her "needing to lose a few pounds" so they can strive to meet THEIR idea of what a character should look like. We're not seeing a woman who is 50 lb overweight in the role here. For me, it reeks of a distorted view of expectations. I half expect to see them whipping out the measuring tape and comparing it to passages in the book for accuracy. In this case, it feels way overboard and highly obtuse on every level.

Anyway, sorry to drag this thread down. Can we move on? I mean, I shouldn't have made the comments in the first place. I think we can all agree there.

I think she looks hot as is and I think she's pretty much dead on as Dany.

I'd never really been able to picture Dany in my head before just based on the author's descriptions, but now that I think of it, for looks alone, Taylor Swift would have nailed it.

We're attracted to whatever we're attracted to. You think that the primitive man waited a few years after a girl was sexually mature to start mating with her? Hell, they probably didn't even wait that long considering we were marring off girls of 11 or 12 only a century or two ago.

Although it was legal, most people did not get married that young, often waiting until their late '20s when they had saved up enough money. Mediaeval nobles often got married super-young, but that was for reasons of alliance, and it often wasn't consummated until the couple's late teens, because they did not want to risk a very young bride dying in childbirth.

We can't tell what primitive man did, but to envision him as a cultureless ape is probably wrong. Every "primitive" human culture we know of has a complex system of sexual mores.

I agree with many posters here in that Dany was the toughest character for me to envision given GRRM's description in the books. That said, when I first saw a glimpse of Emilia in the one-minute teaser, I has to rewind and pause to get a better look - IMO, she is a perfect Dany! Very sexy, but in an innocent, sort of "unfinished" way, like a young adult. I'm glad the HBO team decided to age a lot of the kids up, because I think Drogo and Dany's relationship would have turned a lot of viewers off if she really looked 13 or 14, but as it is, she looks like a young, but inexperienced woman.

Oh and one of my first thoughts when seeing her was "wow, and she's even skinny like Dany should be!" Not sure where y'all are getting the impression that she's chubby at all, the actress has a great form for the role.

She is quite beautiful. Her beauty is very wholesome and familiar though, not exotic in the least, and definitely not nearly a waif. She is quite fit but she has a full-bodied shape and nothing is going to hide that, especially not just a few pounds.

So like with Addy or Bean or any number of other characters I have to ask myself does this change in appearance actually hinder the character any? With Addy I would say yes, with Bean I might say a little, but other than helping to sell her weakness early on I don't think it matters as much as the innocence she has to embody and later the strength of her will and the stature of a born queen.

I would have preferred a petite elven princess look for her, someone more along the physical lines of Taylor Momsen or her ilk (if they insist on a lily-white look) but she is hardly reubenesque, and she is beautiful, and unlike Robert or Ned I can't think of someone I would rather they cast for her.

I think this is the best response to this issue. I've commented elsewhere that I've had issues with Clarke's look not matching up with the mental image I had of Dany. Very pretty, but earthy--wherease for Dany I would almost be willing to sacrifice some beauty for the sake of a striking exotic vibe. Even if Clarke became the kind of skin-and-bones thin that the book implies, she would never have the exotic look. So in light of that, the whole weight issues is moot to me.

So... henceforth I will stop hoping to see the unearthly waif that GRRM painted for us in the books. This new Dany can still show us the transformation of a child into a queen, and she can still serve the story just as well. I can still have my original Daenerys when I read the books.

Oh and one of my first thoughts when seeing her was "wow, and she's even skinny like Dany should be!" Not sure where y'all are getting the impression that she's chubby at all, the actress has a great form for the role.

Well at least for me, I wasn't saying she was chubby, because she isn't. It's more the look, I guess? Her facial structure, nose, is...fuller? than what I pictured.

For comparison, I imagined Dany looking more like Sansa. Not exactly like, but more in that vein. Also bah, she looks way better if that screencap is taken a few frames later. Anyways if you saw the video you know what I mean.

I totally get the idea of expecting an otherworldly elven type waif - but for me - again, part of that expectation comes from the mental image of a 13 year old girl.

The actress is actually quite tiny - but does have a feminine body type which includes wider hips and more developed breasts - petite but shapely. With that said, I think she's an exceptionally talented actress, gorgeous, and her acting skills will totally sell me. I have already seen elements of that other-worldly beauty, innocence yet intelligence, and a small deeply buried ember of strength that is inherent for me in the first few Dany chapters. I believe she'll likely blow alot of us away with her performance.

In fact, I think Emilia Clark would very much look like everyone's idea of Dany if GRRM would describe that same Dany aged 5-7 years....

And as for the chubby comment - what drugs are you on, and where can I get some...? :shocked:

She isn't chubby going by the standard definition, but she has a softer, rounder, curvier body type that some might interpret as being less than thin. That cavewoman tank-top they have her in isn't particularly flattering either.

If one only has two terms to use for weight (thin and chubby) then I suppose you could say she is a tiny bit of one. And a tiny bit of the other.

But given that most people would have at least three terms (thin, average and chubby), it seems silly to say she is a tiny bit chubby. Except if you mean that she is a tiny bit chubbier than a really thin woman? :P

It all gets rather ridiculous.

That hard too? Weird.

I meant my disagreement was vehement of the chubby factor - not meant harshly against you personally. :blushing:

But I very honestly believe that the description of her as "chubby" in any way (little or otherwise) is quite ludicrous. Perhaps we're so used to seeing "lollipop" women (fun term coined for women who have lost so much weight that their heads seem overly large for the rest of their bodies) - and usually quite tall (at least five foot ten), that our eye is now used to that aesthetic, and anything else seems overweight. (I am reminded of stories of how Carrie Fischer was told on the set of Star Wars that she was too overweight at 115 lbs!) I guess it's just a thing for me - considering there seems to be a plethora of acceptable body types for male actors that are considered attractive on screen (however much that may be changing).

Venardhi, I'm with you on the caveman top thing. Although I don't want to get caught up in a costumegate type discussion, frankly I'm surprised at many of the artistic choices all told (and yes, I'm coming from a theatre/film background here).

So, in summary - daimonion - no disrespect meant, and perhaps we can agree to disagree on this particular actress' aesthetic!

It all gets rather ridiculous.

Well. I don't get that discussion about the actress being anorectic enough for playing Dany. I also can't follow that "not elvish enough" thing, maybe because my elven stereotype was formed by Tolkiens Silmarillion, where Elves are mostly Noldor, big, dark, rather "brute" and very earth-bound.

Be that as it may, a "fat old lady" can most convincingly embody Turandot (if she has the voice). I have some doubts with Clarke playing Dany not because of her looks or anything but because of the (short) scenes from the trailers. It seems to me Clarke overacted a little bit, like a stage actress rather than a screen actress. But those scene fragments where really short, who knows ...

I meant my disagreement was vehement of the chubby factor - not meant harshly against you personally. :blushing:

But I very honestly believe that the description of her as "chubby" in any way (little or otherwise) is quite ludicrous. Perhaps we're so used to seeing "lollipop" women (fun term coined for women who have lost so much weight that their heads seem overly large for the rest of their bodies) - and usually quite tall (at least five foot ten), that our eye is now used to that aesthetic, and anything else seems overweight. (I am reminded of stories of how Carrie Fischer was told on the set of Star Wars that she was too overweight at 115 lbs!) I guess it's just a thing for me - considering there seems to be a plethora of acceptable body types for male actors that are considered attractive on screen (however much that may be changing).

Venardhi, I'm with you on the caveman top thing. Although I don't want to get caught up in a costumegate type discussion, frankly I'm surprised at many of the artistic choices all told (and yes, I'm coming from a theatre/film background here).

So, in summary - daimonion - no disrespect meant, and perhaps we can agree to disagree on this particular actress' aesthetic!

No prob. I did not think it was personal.

If one only has two terms to use for weight (thin and chubby) then I suppose you could say she is a tiny bit of one. And a tiny bit of the other.

But given that most people would have at least three terms (thin, average and chubby), it seems silly to say she is a tiny bit chubby. Except if you mean that she is a tiny bit chubbier than a really thin woman? :P

Lol! Yeah, there really is no good word for it. Even "average" seems somewhat wrong, since there are so many different body types. How about - "not totally slim"? No seriously... Whatever.

Dany in the promo vid :whip: amazing. Maybe one of the top castings for the series in my opinion. Only thing is her costume should have more color, no?

I'm just a little worried about the Viserys actor. He looks more like a pretty boy model than an insane young man. The few bits where he appeared in the promo it almost looked like he was about the crack up laughing instead of crack-up in rage. We'll see.

Viserys is a beautiful boy model kind of guy. He is a Targaryen. They are all gorgeous. Except those who grew overly fat (Aegon IV) or those who refused to cut their hair or fingernails (Aerys II). But even those two were beautiful in their youth.

And Viserys is also not really insane. He is just cruel to his sister and really, really desperate. He never was one of the strong Targaryen characters, but I really don't think that he (or his genes) are to blame. Any child who was forced to live how he lived, and who still remembered how it was to be a Prince living in the Red Keep, should end up becoming unstable and desperate.

Archived