Daenerys appearance

C.T. Phipps

Ugh, this is a huge pet peeve of mine and it always gets thrown out there when people talk about thin women. Thin women with small bones and breasts and hips does not equal pedophilia, nor does it mean that they look like twelve year old boys. It means they like women with that body type. I hate that that people call them "not real women". Anyway, pedophilia is way more complicated and perverse than that. People are so misinformed as to what constitutes a sexual perversion.

he never said thin women+small bones= pediaphilia.

He just said it crosses his mind. Doesn't mean he believes it.

That said, i think her weight is appropriate, especially considering that dany is suppose to grow tits later on, which plays a crucial role in plot development.

i think she looks rather exotic and a bit different from all the characters which suits her heritage. i love the big innocent eyes and you can tell she can play a tougher person as the series progresses.

i don't think she needs to looses any weight, she would look weird thinner a bit like Lea Michele from Glee who has a similar body type and lost "a few pounds" in season two and everyone said that she looked sick.

Yes, I don't think this actress would benefit from losing a few pounds. She simply has this kind of a body type, and going for another image wouldn't suit her IMHO. In my opinion, the difference between her and Dany's description in the book is not a difference that can't be overcome by other things. The wig helps, and other characters responding to her as if they'd never seen anyone who looks as differently beautiful like her before. We know that the actress will get those scenes that establish that her character is desirable, HBO is not going to pass up the chance to put her in those kinds of scenes as it's kind of the whole reason they aged up the entire cast in the first place.

I myself agree with those that are saying that her acting was a bit stilted in the very short clip we saw of her, and I'm not using that as proof she's not a good enough actress, as we've seen very little, but that concerns me more than the look, right now. She isn't how I imagined Dany, but she's still beautiful and girlish and at least has remarkable eyes, and hopefully she will have the talent that this incredibly important role needs.

She's definitely a gorgeous looking actress, but I agree with pretty much everyone else that she doesn't look like how I imagined Dany. In fact most artwork of Dany does not look like how I imagined her.

In fact this is primarily how I picture Daenerys to look like. It's probably going to be particularly hard to find someone who looks like that, and has quality acting skills.

Either way, she's quite a beautiful woman, and hopefully she will begin to grow into how most people imagine Dany, if not by looks, then at least in the feeling that she evokes.

In fact this is primarily how I picture Daenerys to look like.

I agree - I think that's one of my favourite art representations of the character for me personally. However, if you think of that picture of Dany as a 13 year old girl, and then imagine her at 18-20, This screen image really does capture much of the same magic for me.

In fact this is primarily how I picture Daenerys to look like. It's probably going to be particularly hard to find someone who looks like that, and has quality acting skills.

IIRC, that drawing is based on Jennifer Connolly's face.

I do wish they'd gone with blonde eyebrows. It's such an otherworldly look. Black eyebrows with blonde hair make the hair look obviously dyed. If you look at natural blondes, they have blonde eyebrows.

That is not entirely true. A lot of people with the genetic defect that is colloquially called "blonde" have dark pubic hair (and, therefore, dark eye brows). Of course, that doesn't apply to those with extremely bright blonde head hair, but I don't know if the Targ look has to do with a MC1R gene defect and this reasoning is valid at all ...

That is not entirely true. A lot of people with the genetic defect that is colloquially called "blonde" have dark pubic hair (and, therefore, dark eye brows).

I have no idea if this is true. The few people I have known with natural light blond hair (yellow-blond, not light brown) also had matching blond eyebrows. It's a very striking look.

The Targaryen platinum hair doesn't seem to be found in human beings in this world except for albinos (which Targaryens obviously are not), so I guess they could use the "it's fantasy" explanation.

Enough people have posted previously saying that they know people with blond hair but darker eyebrows. So presumably its true.

Do they mean yellow-blonde hair, or just very light brown hair? I know people with very light brown hair and darker eyebrows, but the very blonde types never seem to have dark eyebrows.

Also, some people who claim to be natural blonde actually get a little help from a bottle, which could cloud the statistics. :)

I can't see Dany's natural platinum coloured hair coming with dark eyebrows, but then again, it is fantasy. She could have natural purple hair and green eyebrows, and in a world with dragons, we couldn't exactly say it was impossible. I don't think it's actually possible in real life to have natural platinum hair without being albino or a small child.

I think the best visual approximation of a Daenarys I've seen is Selvaria Bles in Valkyria Chronicles. Though she'd need a breast and age reduction I think.

IRL I think this Daenarys is as good as you could hope for, though there's no reason they couldn't have done the hair just so. I'm hoping they do the eyes with some digital trickery. I think it's the eyes that would give the otherworldiness that's needed to set the Targs apart from all other races extant on Martinworld.

I like meat on the bones, so I'm happy with her physicality. Robustly healthy but not arse-kickingly athletic.

But no she doesn't fit my mental image all that well. Though because of my anti-paedophilic psyche I always pictured her as a 16-17 year old rather than the cannonical 13. So age wise she does accord with my mental image from the books.

Do they mean yellow-blonde hair, or just very light brown hair? I know people with very light brown hair and darker eyebrows, but the very blonde types never seem to have dark eyebrows.

Also, some people who claim to be natural blonde actually get a little help from a bottle, which could cloud the statistics. :)

I can't see Dany's natural platinum coloured hair coming with dark eyebrows, but then again, it is fantasy. She could have natural purple hair and green eyebrows, and in a world with dragons, we couldn't exactly say it was impossible. I don't think it's actually possible in real life to have natural platinum hair without being albino or a small child.

My brother's stepson has nearly white blonde hair and extremely dark eyebrows. He does not dye it and has always been that way. I have other friends that are the same. If it wasn't a public forum I'd post pictures of his stepson, but I guess it's also not my job to police the internet. Believe what you want, but it does happen.

I think the best visual approximation of a Daenarys I've seen is Selvaria Bles in Valkyria Chronicles. Though she'd need a breast and age reduction I think.

IRL I think this Daenarys is as good as you could hope for, though there's no reason they couldn't have done the hair just so. I'm hoping they do the eyes with some digital trickery. I think it's the eyes that would give the otherworldiness that's needed to set the Targs apart from all other races extant on Martinworld.

It's just eyecolor. As far as I know, they are human in every way. So it isn't need to "differentiate" races. Not even all Targs have the violet eyes. The hair does a sufficient job of showing their genealogical differences, eyes aren't that important. Viewers of the show that haven't read the books will realize that Viserys and Dany are of a different house than the rest. I don't know if they are going to do anything in post-production, but that seems like a lot of work for something that's really not vital. If they felt it was vital they would have gone with contacts (but thank god they didn't).

Enough people have posted previously saying that they know people with blond hair but darker eyebrows. So presumably its true.

The eyebrow/hair discussion went on for pages, or maybe it just felt that way. Let's not start that again!

Come off it. The fact that you keep on repeating yourself just makes you a troll!

Me "repeating it", is an exaggeration at best. Problem is, people keep twisting my first comment.

Thinking on it, Kit is a tiny bit chubby too. I had imagined Jon a bit slimmer. I'll take my chances and not duck this time, though.

Archived