Daenerys appearance

C.T. Phipps

Post Production computer enhancement?

Very very unlikely. Its too much effort and it may end up making them look ridiculous. I think this is a classic example of what works grand in a book but doesn't work on screen.

There wouldn't be any other "peroxide blond" characters, so they'll look very unusual in the environment they are in.

Vyseris looks too normal, Dany doesn't live up, but it would be hard to do so.

Yup. Hard to agree on the most beautiful woman in the world. :P

I actually thought the Targaryens look quite striking as they are in the show. Maybe because I don't know many people with that sort of hair.

• 2 weeks later...

In some of the shots/clips I've seen Emilia Clarke is fairly close to how a pictured the Targaryans in terms of hair colour and overall look, especially in the clips that seemed to take place before the wedding. The clips of her riding with the Dothraki were less convincing in terms of costume design and overall look. Perhaps the outdoor lighting makes her hair dye/wig seem less realistic because her eyebrows are a touch darker than I would expect?

Overall I'm pretty disappointed with the look for the Dothraki so that might be tainting my opinion.

As far as Emilia Clarke's body type and face she's closer how I pictured Margaery or even an older version of Sansa. Emilia's actually more beautiful than I pictured Dany being, as I pictured Dany as pretty but not gorgeous, having a leaner body frame not unlike Sigourney Weaver in Alien (although slightly more feminine in terms of skeletal structure and breast size). That being said I don't care, I just hope she's a good actor and does Dany justice.

And besides the only actor I've seen so far that looks a lot like my mental image of a character from the book is Bran. Even though he was described as having Tully-features and hair colour I always saw him as having brown hair. The actor even sounds like I thought he would.

Old Nan would be the other and she nailed the shit out of the delivery of lines from the white walker story.

At first i had doubts as many others.

Now with the last extended trailler i tend to grow more and more into Emilia Clarke as Danny.

The kind of different emotions she seems able to go through strikes me as a perfect Danny. She looks like a really tallented young actress and really into the part. That´s all we should ask! If she as both the tallent and motivation, she will do a good Danny.

On looks...obviously we miss the purple eyes, the hair doesnt allways looks what we imagined (but i´d say it gets really close sometimes). She is also obviously older for reasons more then explained, so we have to imagine how an older Danny would be rather then the historical Danny was (at least in the beginning).

But i give Emilia Clarke my thumbs up! Go for it!!! I´ll be watching and currently more and more confident on her performance.

Viserys is a beautiful boy model kind of guy. He is a Targaryen. They are all gorgeous. Except those who grew overly fat (Aegon IV) or those who refused to cut their hair or fingernails (Aerys II). But even those two were beautiful in their youth.

And Viserys is also not really insane. He is just cruel to his sister and really, really desperate. He never was one of the strong Targaryen characters, but I really don't think that he (or his genes) are to blame. Any child who was forced to live how he lived, and who still remembered how it was to be a Prince living in the Red Keep, should end up becoming unstable and desperate.

Viserys isn't really described as attractive though. I don't have the book to hand but it's stuff about him looking severe with his haiir pulled back and looking cruel.

Viserys isn't really described as attractive though. I don't have the book to hand but it's stuff about him looking severe with his haiir pulled back and looking cruel.

In the house of the undying, Dany sees Rhaegar and describes him as "looking like Viserys, only older." Given that Rhaegar is TEH MOST HANDSOME MAN IN WESTEROS (maybe), Viserys must be quite attractive if he takes after his brother.

I imagine a younger, skinnier Rhaegar, but with a face that is twisted intp a perpetual scowl, shadows under eyes, hollow cheeks, etc. But still with that Targ beauty underneath. Harry Lloyd's doing it just right.

As for Dany, I thought her hair looked too wiggish, and still do to some extent... but the actress is SO expressive in the interviews, and SO into her character that I think it'll turn out very well regardless of the odd costuming choices.

Due to the fact that Dany really finds Rhaegar and Viserys do look nearly alike (Rhaegar is just older, and has slightly different eyes), I honestly suggested that it would be a good idea to use Harry Lloyd again for any Rhaegar flashbacks. They could style him in a way to make him more impressive and less mad.

The line about Viserys' hair seemed to me like him trying to look harder and more manly. As all Targaryens were really beautiful, I assume many Targ males really looked somewhat effeminate - all but Aegon I, Maegor, Baelor Breakspear, and Daemon Blackfyre, who were really handsome manly males - and when dealing with a Dothraki horse lord you really did not want to look like a woman.

Okay, you made me look up the lines about Viserys that I could half-remember :)

He [ Viserys ] was a gaunt young man with nervous hands and a feverish look in his pale lilac eyes...His hair, the same silver-blond as hers, had been pulled back tightly behind his head and fastened with a dragonstone brooch. It was a sever look that emphasised the hard, gaunt lines of his face

Yeah, it was the gauntness that made me think he wasn't that good looking, but that's probably just a reflection of what he's gone through and what his personality is more than anything else. And I agree that Harry Lloyd will be a good Viserys - his scenes were up there with my favourites from the promotional videos so far.

There is a new short clip of two producers, talking about actors.

And this is a close transcription of what they actually say about mrs. Emilia

They watched many casting videos over the laptop so they would look at the performance of actors in a small screen, while Daeneryss role is especially broad, with a characters that changes and develps significantly.

Or "A character that takes a very broad journey, emotionally and geographically, starts out meek and turns into ... something very different, by the end of the show"

Of all contendants "mrs Emilia Clarke was the only one who managed to project, through

window :this big: like,... Joan of Arc and Laurence of Arabia."

The only one with that gave them such gravitas and intensity.

:D

Now, thats some serious praise.

I had one of those rare premonition moments the first time i saw her as a choice for Daenerys, you know,

those "this is the one" kind of instant visions :)

Infact my first thought was just: "Khalessi."

Its so good when such a feeling then actually comes true.

I give Emilia Clarke my thumbs up! Go for it!!!

I'm just a little worried about the Viserys actor. He looks more like a pretty boy model than an insane young man. The few bits where he appeared in the promo it almost looked like he was about the crack up laughing instead of crack-up in rage. We'll see.

I highly recommend you watch Harry Lloyd in the Doctor Who two parter Human Nature/Family of Blood. I've been a fan of Harry Lloyd ever since he played the sweet and kind-hearted Will Scarlett in Robin Hood, and I can honestly say he absolutely scared the shit out of me when he played Baines. In fact, he was so unsettlingly creepy that I was really wanted him cast as the young Tom Riddle in the sixth Harry Potter movie - I mean, just look at this screencap! - alas, it was not to be :( I absolutely think he's going to knock it out of the park with Viserys. He and Aiden Gillen have been my favorite casting choices by far (along with Peter Dinklage, but that really goes without saying).

I've commented elsewhere that I've had issues with Clarke's look not matching up with the mental image I had of Dany. Very pretty, but earthy--wherease for Dany I would almost be willing to sacrifice some beauty for the sake of a striking exotic vibe.

I love what we've seen of Clarke, but I can understand where you're coming from. When I first saw Natalie Dormer's Anne Boleyn in The Tudors, I didn't think she was pretty at all (which I rather liked, as historically, Anne Boleyn was never supposed to be a knockout). I thought Dormer's looks were average, at best. But dear God... by the end of Season 2, I couldn't take my eyes off her. She was so charismatic, so alluring and compelling and brilliant and ruthless yet vulnerable that while watching her, I was just thinking... "holy shit... this woman is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Any man would turn his kingdom upside down for her." And it was all because Dormer's performance was so fabulous.

I would really, really love to see Clarke manage to do something similar, if only to stem the comments of "she's not ethereal enough" etc. There's only so much you can glean from stills and about two lines of dialogue, but I've really liked everything I've seen so far. Daenerys has an incredible character journey from submissive and terrified young girl to an incredibly powerful and ruthless young woman, and to watch this unfold onscreen has the potential to be absolutely fascinating.

As for all these comments about Clarke's weight... her weight isn't really the issue, as she's already a slender girl. It's rather the fact that she has a very soft, very feminine shape - with breasts and hips - whereas, Dany presumably has a very straight, skinny figure, as opposed to the hourglass that Clarke is.

I like Emilia Clarke just fine. She's stunning and - more encouragingly - her enthusiasm for the material fairly bubbles over in practically all her interviews. She's obviously going to give the part her all.

Other than the wig looking...wigish, she looks great. She's beautiful; sexy too, in that uncomfortable, lolita way.

I think she's 21 in real life, so I don't think you have to worry about "jailbait."

I think she looks around 18 or so, not the actual, 12 year old Dolores Haze (a.k.a. Lolita) from Nabakov's novel. So you're no Humbert Humbert for fantasizing about her a bit (nudge nudge, wink wink.)

Anyway, I think Clarke looks gorgeous.

Personally, I never really got a clear mental image of Danerys the way I did with some other characters, such Arrianne Martel. If you pay attention, Dany is never really described that specifically. Her beauty is constantly mentioned, and its noted that she has long, platinum blond hair and purple eyes, but as far as I can remember, GRRM never really goes into specifics about her facial features, complexion, shape of her face, etc. I also vaguely remember it saying that she is slender, however, I can't remeber her figure being described in much detail at all, either.

In short, I think Clarke looks perfect for the role; she seems up to portraying both the innocent but weary young Dany as well as the formidable woman she eventually becomes.

I think she's 21 in real life, so I don't think you have to worry about "jailbait."

I think she looks around 18 or so, not the actual, 12 year old Dolores Haze (a.k.a. Lolita) from Nabakov's novel. So you're no Humbert Humbert for fantasizing about her a bit (nudge nudge, wink wink.)

Anyway, I think Clarke looks gorgeous.

Personally, I never really got a clear mental image of Danerys the way I did with some other characters, such Arrianne Martel. If you pay attention, Dany is never really described that specifically. Her beauty is constantly mentioned, and its noted that she has long, platinum blond hair and purple eyes, but as far as I can remember, GRRM never really goes into specifics about her facial features, complexion, shape of her face, etc. I also vaguely remember it saying that she is slender, however, I can't remeber her figure being described in much detail at all, either.

In short, I think Clarke looks perfect for the role; she seems up to portraying both the innocent but weary young Dany as well as the formidable woman she eventually becomes.

Haha, I'm not quite there yet, but she's a hottie for sure. I thought she was 17 IRL?

Archived