The NFL Thread 9

Mya Stone

Were there really that many predictions that the Bears would win? I missed the pregame stuff but the only people I saw predicting the Bears would win during the week were Bears fans.

Really, the only Bears fans I saw predicting a win were the complete homers. Pretty much everyone else had the Pats.

Yeah, that was it: not the fact that Brady had a 113.4 rating, 2Tds, 67% completion %, 0 INTs; certainly not the fact that the D held the Bears to 42 TOTAL PLAYS; not that Cutler (who was playing all-world before this) went with 0TDs, 2 INTs, and a QB rating of 32.9 (how he even got to 30 is beyond me; do you get point sfor completing passes to the other team?). Forget the fact that the Bears were one of the best ranked defenses in the NFL before tonight; that the Pats were playing on the road, on a short week, were a "pass-first" team that should have had a LOT of difficulty; forget that the Bears were all "pumped" by Lovie's supposed amazing pre-game speech etc; forget that the Pats turned the ball over 0 times, the Bears 4 times. Forget all that. It was the lack of holding calls. Yes. That was it. I mean the Bears failed more completely than the Metrodome's roof.

Your reading comprehension fails. Did you forget the first part of the sentence where I said, "The Pats seem to be moving the ball pretty well on their own"?

But besides that, the Gronkowski TD probably should have been offensive pass interference. I mean, it was 1st and Goal at the 7, 8? He runs straight up to Urlacher and shoves him back, then turns around and catches the pass. Most times, that kind of blatant interference gets called.

And half the BJGE runs in the first quarter had blatant holds.

Regardless, as I already said, even if the calls were made and say Urlacher and Harris at least come down with those interceptions, it's still 22-7 at the end of the game. The Pats win no matter what, because the Bears were horrible today.

But thanks, again, for proving to be a sore winner.

'The fuck does that even mean? Makes no sense in this context.

It does if you consider the fact that he's making arguments against statements that don't really exist for the sheer joy of gloating. But then, it's Rock. A football post by him isn't complete without his slightly insane/incoherent rambling.

Thanks Pats fans, for reminding me at least (and likely the rest of the board) that it's not just the team that are sore winners.

Did you not call me out this week?

Real men admit when they were wrong. (They don't whine that they did not like the manner in which they were shown up.)

Someone should watch some John Wayne movies.

Please, at least one offensive lineman holds a defender on virtually every play of every game. They usually only call it when an o-lineman puts a d-lineman in a sleeper hold.

Even then, it's whether the whim strikes the ref or not. It's all very subjective. There was one play, for instance, where Banta-Cain was tackled from behind by two Bears blockers in the pocket, about to get a sack that was not called.

Most of the time, you don't get a call. That's why every offensive lineman holds.

Please, at least one offensive lineman holds a defender on virtually every play of every game. They usually only call it when an o-lineman puts a d-lineman in a sleeper hold.

Yeah. Complaining about holding not being called is sort of like complaining about water being too wet.

I think the Bengals are aiming for that number one pick. Unfortunately, those pesky Panthers are beating them to it. With the 2nd pick in the draft, I have no idea who we go for. We have needs at QB, WR, OL, DL and there are really good prospects for a few of those positions. With Mike Brown as the GM, I'd say we screw it up and go with someone like Cam Newton and screw any chance we have of being good for the next few years.

If I was GM, I'd probably take AJ Green or Da'Quan Bowers in the first and safety/OL in the 2nd. Palmer is a massive problem and he's not going to get any better, but bringing in someone like Newton or Mallett (both of whom I feel are developmental projects) without some of the other key areas fixed really wouldn't help us. Luck, however, would be a great pick and I'd be behind that 100%.

In the offseason, I'd get rid of TO, Benson, Geathers, Odom, Tank Johnson, Dhani Jones, Dennis Roland and a few others. This should give us enough money to resign Jonathan Joseph. I'd then look hard at getting rid of Palmer though I'd ultimately keep him because there is no one better for us to start. It's time to rebuild again, maybe playing for 2012 or 2013.

The defense is a safety away from being pretty good. Dunlap, Atkins and Michael Johnson have been getting consistent pressure on the QB since they started playing regularly. Maluaga needs to move into the middle and MJ needs to move to SLB (or draft one). Add a play making safety and we might be decent with JJ, Hall and Jones at CB.

Anyway, I hate my team, hate my owner, hate my QB, hate my OL, hate my WRs and really hate the coaches. This is the life of a Bengals fan.

Anyway, I hate my team, hate my owner, hate my QB, hate my OL, hate my WRs and really hate the coaches. This is the life of a Bengals fan.

Yeah, watching this game, right before the half when that interception was dropped, first thing I thought of "Poor Mex, that drop may have cost the game. Or atleast some pride"

Really, the only Bears fans I saw predicting a win were the complete homers. Pretty much everyone else had the Pats.

Your reading comprehension fails.

It does if you consider the fact that he's making arguments against statements that don't really exist for the sheer joy of gloating. But then, it's Rock. A football post by him isn't complete without his slightly insane/incoherent rambling.

I'd like to THANK Rockroi fror cherry picking various parts of various quotes to gloat over. quotes of mine specifically that had nothing to do with the actual Bears/Patriots gamne and attribute them to the fact that I might have been making excuses or justifications for something I wasn't even TRYING to do. So in this case, possum's right. His reading comprehension FAILS.

Possum, would you agree that you and I were probably the two loudest Bears fans this week? Would you agree that even if we did predict a Bears win, it came with a lot of "x and y need to happens"? I don't recall, at least for myself outright calling for a Bears win...

Frankly, I'm glad I don't have to listen to the gloom and doom on the radio today...

Did you not call me out this week?

Real men admit when they were wrong. (They don't whine that they did not like the manner in which they were shown up.)

Hmmmm...? Call you out? Were you? I know you were asked to defend a position, not just state it. If that's calling out, then, yeah you were right. A good QB got dominated in a snowstorm by a superior QB. Whatever. You've yet to actually do anything other than make procilmations from oh high.

Mexal, I feel bad for you. It all stems from your inferior ownership, IMO.

Oh, it's 100% due to ownership. Mike Brown is our GM but has no skill in evaluating talent. This becomes even more of a problem when he refuses to hire professional scouts. There is also the fact that we have no indoor practice facility, we're $30 mil under what the salary cap would have been and that Brown will not step down (according to a letter he sent to a season ticket owner). Players don't want to play here, coaches don't want to coach here. In the 20 seasons since he took over for his father, we've had 3 winning seasons (1990, 2005, 2009). He's the fastest owner to 200 losses and yet he still won't step down and give us hope. Until he dies, this team is likely to never sniff consistent success.

Yeah, watching this game, right before the half when that interception was dropped, first thing I thought of "Poor Mex, that drop may have cost the game. Or atleast some pride"

We dropped several interceptions, but yes, that one by Brandon Johnson in the end zone hurt.

I'm lucky enough to hail from NY so I at least have the Giants to root for but still, being a Bengals fan is about the most depressing thing imaginable.

Archived