Fantasy, soundtracks, and HBO...

NW Deserter

Howdy guys!

First off, I'm a first-time poster but a long-time fan of this series (on my 3rd re-read right now to prep for the show!). I found this forum when desperately searching for more screencaps/info about the upcoming series, and the discussions here are great for both the book and the HBO adaptation, so I thought I'd join!

Now for my question - I haven't watched any HBO shows very much except for an episode of Entourage here and there, but I know they've done some large-scale, "epic" series before, such as Rome. My question is, how good are they at picking the right composers? I'm a HUGE fan of the LOTR movies, and a big part of my love for the trilogy is in their music production. I know that a 12-hour, big budget movie is obviously going to have the best of the best, so I'm not putting my hopes at quite that level, but I'm still a bit curious as to how good the HBO production team will be at giving the viewer a sense of scale, emotion, and character through the music.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I've been really worried about the soundtrack, actually. We haven't heard anything yet, have we? I just worry because a story like this really needs to hit it out of the park with the music, and I can just envision them kinda phoning the music in. I'm hoping for some really recognizable, moving themes throughout the series.

Awesome info - thanks, Ran! Excited to see what he comes up with. Hoping for at least one or two tunes that sort of "define" the television series, ala the Fellowship theme in LotR.

<offtopic>

Also, Ran, I assume you're a mod/admin of some kind on this board? Thanks so much for keeping the site up, a series this awesome deserves a well-run community to discuss stuff like this, and you've given it to us!

</ot>

Archived