LA BwB - Time to Gather with George

Prince Lodey

It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I'm totally in for a BWB gathering post-signing.

Kind of off topic, I know, but can anyone tell me what the etiquette is for a book signing? I've never been to one before and I've been waiting for an opportunity to attend one of GRRM's signings. Obviously, I already own all of the ASOIAF books, but should I be purchasing copies from the bookstore for GRRM to sign? Is it acceptable to ask an author to sign more than one book or should I choose only one?

It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I'm totally in for a BWB gathering post-signing.

Kind of off topic, I know, but can anyone tell me what the etiquette is for a book signing? I've never been to one before and I've been waiting for an opportunity to attend one of GRRM's signings. Obviously, I already own all of the ASOIAF books, but should I be purchasing copies from the bookstore for GRRM to sign? Is it acceptable to ask an author to sign more than one book or should I choose only one?

The etiquette varies a bit from store to store. Might be sensible to call the store and ask their policy. As George said in his blog post, he has no idea how many people will turn out for this signing, and if there's big crowds, that will limit how many books he can sign per person during the 2 hour event.

Usually, there is a limit of how many books one person can get signed at a time. Say the limit is 3 books, and you have 5 books to get signed. You'd get the first 3 books signed, and then get to the back of the line to wait until you can get the last books signed. It all depends on the store and the crowd size and the time limitations. George does have another engagement after the signing, so he can't stay at the store for an extra half-hour or more.

It's always proper to buy at least one book while in the store for the signing. The bookstore spends time and money on prepping for a signing, they need to order stock, they need employees to process the stock, set up the signing area, do crowd management, and then clean up after the signing. George has lots of titles, I'm sure that the store will try to get in several non-ASoI&F books as well. If you don't need them, maybe buy one for a friend or loved one, or buy a book by another author and tell the clerks when you check out that you wouldn't have been in the store if George hadn't been there.

This is a local independent bookstore, something we really need to survive in our cities, so do come down, buy a few books, meet some new people, heck, bring a couple of friends along with you!

hello - new to this site, but love grrm, and would really love to go to this. i live in san francisco - is anyone else from northern california heading down for this? if so, just curious if the best way would be to fly or drive...or maybe its just too far, hm...

i live in san francisco - is anyone else from northern california heading down for this? if so, just curious if the best way would be to fly or drive...or maybe its just too far, hm...

Taking the 5 is usually the quickest to drive. Once in LA area, just exit onto the 134 eastbound, and then take the Colorado Blvd exit for the bookstore. A flight may be slightly quicker, but you'll have to rent a car. If you fly, try to fly into Burbank.

I'm coming from Vegas for the event.

I never really post but have been looking at this forum for years. I've always wanted to meet George and am really looking forward to it. Gives me an excuse to by a hardcover of AGOT. Can someone give me a rundown on what the Brotherhood without Banners is?

Heh, I'm just realizing that all I own are the ASOIAF mass-market paperbacks. The non-ASOIAF book that I have the most interest in is Fever Dream, but I'm guessing that the store wouldn't have a hardback of that. Maybe they'd have Dreamsongs?

call the store and ask them if they can get in DREAMSONGS - there are still hardcovers available from the publisher. AFAIK, FEVRE DREAM does not currently have a hardcover available, but they may be able to locate one for you if they do book searchs/requests. Would be wise to call them asap and ask so they have some time to order or find either book for you.

Have fun everybody! Should be a good time!

I never really post but have been looking at this forum for years. I've always wanted to meet George and am really looking forward to it. Gives me an excuse to by a hardcover of AGOT. Can someone give me a rundown on what the Brotherhood without Banners is?

The BwB started around 2000 from the original ASOIAF message board as a collective name for fans to get together and discuss ASOIAF and the works of GRRM. I had originally approached George and Parris about having an ASOIAFcon or GRRMcon back in 2001 and they excellently shepherded us to joining the Worldcon (and local cons) festivities. As per the wishes of George and Parris it was never meant to be like a pay-to-join fan club with membership cards and such, but open to fans worldwide to support proper "fandom" of which Parris is a great leader and icon in. Nowadays the BwB name encompasses fans worldwide where people get together in small groups or even large annual Worldcon parties of 100+ fans to have fun, discuss the series, and fantasy/science fiction in general.

More info coming in the next day or two on the time and location for the LA event on the 9th.

I'm excited to do some cool cooking for you folks- since my injury aikido and triathlon have taken a back seat to other things, including learning to cook. (With some predictable side-effects...)

Anyway, it'll be great to see everyone, and get to use Iseult's Cordon Bleu Academy-designed kitchen! So yeah...any requests?

Parris! Two questions: Are you coming? Because we would be delighted to see you again! And... Davy and I are wondering if there are any special requests for food/beverages?

Oh how I wish I could travel with George to these events, but someone has to stay and feed the cats. Ty, our most excellent office manager/assistant/security guy (really, when we go back to Spain, we're taking him with us, because those Spanish fans were crazy, pushing me out of the way to get closer to George, stopping him from getting into cars when we had other events to get to, we're gonna get Ty some dark shades, black t-shirts and he can supply the gentle-but-firm glare and voice as needed) is going to be there to make sure George gets from event a to event b as needed.

So you guys have fun, and take good care of my sweetheart while he's out in the land of sodom and starlets for me, OK?

Archived