LA BwB - Time to Gather with George

Prince Lodey

Freaking great gathering. As a first-time... gather... uh... gather-er... I was glad to see how welcoming the Olde Guard was of the new people. Izzy iz so gracious, and her home is just amazing. It makes my palatial Chino Hills estate look like a hovel.

Lodey was great. Beyond great. I think he knew the answer to my Reed surname question before George did. But I will be very disappointed if Ran does not change his title at least three times. Trust me, Ran - he deserves it. You have no idea.

Blackfyre was so welcoming I first believed the house to be his. Actually, I think HE believes the house to be his! This man's hubris knows no boundaries! He must be stopped. Seriously cool guy though. He's like a better-looking Bruce Campbell.

Got to hang with Cueller, whom I have personally dubbed "The Wry Aside Guy," and Venardhi (hitherto known NOT as the Wet Blanket, but as the Mad 'Stache). (It's a brilliant 'stache.)

I met many other mega-cool nerds (not an oxymoron in this day and age), including about 20 people whose names I can't recall. I don't blame alcohol, I'm just naturally dumb.

Mad props to "Jeffrey and the Tight Tee Harem." I've never seen George more animated then when he had a half-dozen nubile young twentysomethings (sure, count Jeffrey as "nubile"), flocking to him, hanging on his every word. Watching GRRM debate the histories of the English Monarchy with Nessa was an amusement all its own. (Fact: it is actually POSSIBLE to get in a word or two when Nessa speaks, but one needs to be patient, wait for her to run out of oxygen and be forced to take a breath. Then you pounce!)

(It worked once.)

Bonus: meeting Melinda Snodgrass. Too cool.

Lastly, the Thing That Cannot Be Discussed was <censored> and <censored>, and no matter how many times I <censored> I just want to <censored> again and again. But then again I'm not sure I have the stamina for that kind of routine excitement. At least not on a regular basis.

All I know is I'm voting YES on a BwB gathering in L.A. for the GAME OF THRONES premier.

And yes, winter-is-coming.net will have a post up (soon) regarding both the signing and the BwB gathering. Within a day. A lot of stuff happening; we've gone a little post happy of late!

Wouldn't have it any other way. Busy is good. Thanks again, guys!

Kenny / @Axechucker / Fire And Blood

I'm sorry I missed it! Would've been great to see folks (and GRRM) again :frown5: My husband (aka notsnowleo) was in LA finishing up grad school until just 3 weeks ago, but now we're both in Utah. Boooo, timing.

snow "GRRM has been in my car" leo

Glad you could make it and enjoy the Gathering! Plan on coming to Reno and going on a knight quest if you can!

After I heard the stories last night about the Knights of the Cheesesteaks and the Knights of the Burnt Ends, I can't wait to go on a quest of my own and get knighted by George. Hopefully going to Reno for Worldcon in June. That gives me six months to train. :)

Just a quick note to say how much I enjoyed meeting everyone. Hopefully this was only the first of many enjoyable nights to come. Thanks so much to Izzy for being such a wonderful hostess. You have such a beautiful home! I'll post more when I return from New Orleans.

Chanel

After I heard the stories last night about the Knights of the Cheesesteaks and the Knights of the Burnt Ends, I can't wait to go on a quest of my own and get knighted by George. Hopefully going to Reno for Worldcon in June. That gives me six months to train. :)

It was Sullied Knights of the Dumpster, not Knights of the Burnt Ends. Thats what we were supposed to be named. However, KC is not like LA. The city closes down at 9:00pm (well the places that made "burnt end" sandwhiches anyhow).

Btw, if anyone would like to contribute to the expenses incurred for Sunday's festivities, please send me a PM.

Kenny. There was no Thing That Cannot Be Discussed. I have no idea what you are talking about. NOBODY has any idea what you are talking about. It never happened.

Now stay where you are and men in black, unmarked SUVs will be along shortly to collect you.

Nothing supercool happened, people. Absolutely nothing.

Just a quick note to say how much I enjoyed meeting everyone. Hopefully this was only the first of many enjoyable nights to come. Thanks so much to Izzy for being such a wonderful hostess. You have such a beautiful home! I'll post more when I return from New Orleans.

Chanel

Fantastic meeting you and hope your trip to NO went ok. Really appreciate all your help and talking with you. You are a BwBer through and through!

sounds like an incredible time - i can't describe my anguish at not being able to go :(

the SoCal BWB sounds pretty sweet - if there are any in NorCal up for meeting up, pls let me know :)

You're in luck, as we actually have fairly irregular BWB Norcal events, usually in SF--and we actually have them more often than the SoCal people. There's a thread for it, maybe I'll dig it up and we can plan something for soonish.

I wish I could have gone to this. Vroman's-- between that place and the Borders on Lake, I basically spent all my spare money on books as an undergrad. Plus I wanted to see the Casa de Iseult. It's a good thing I stayed home as my sister ended up getting a plague and I had to entertain her girlfriend and another one of her friends while she was out of commission. All my books are signed, but geek parties are fun, and I kind of hoped I'd run into some ex-Techers at the signing.

Hope some of you make it to Reno!

Kenny. There was no Thing That Cannot Be Discussed. I have no idea what you are talking about. NOBODY has any idea what you are talking about. It never happened.

Now stay where you are and men in black, unmarked SUVs will be along shortly to collect you.

Nothing supercool happened, people. Absolutely nothing.

I'm just glad I'm not pregnant.

Thanks you guys for throwing a great party, and for showing George such a fun time after his recent bout with illness. He was much invigorated by the bros and the t-shirt girls.

A special thanks goes out to Lodey, who made sure that for the entire four hours I was there, I never lacked for a gin and tonic. Not once. That's the kind of dedication that brings a tear to my eye.

Also thanks to the few people who were nice enough to pretend that my forthcoming book was an interesting topic when GRRM was sitting right nearby and being far more fascinating than I am. Way to take one for the team, guys.

Mad props to "Jeffrey and the Tight Tee Harem." I've never seen George more animated then when he had a half-dozen nubile young twentysomethings (sure, count Jeffrey as "nubile"), flocking to him, hanging on his every word. Watching GRRM debate the histories of the English Monarchy with Nessa was an amusement all its own. (Fact: it is actually POSSIBLE to get in a word or two when Nessa speaks, but one needs to be patient, wait for her to run out of oxygen and be forced to take a breath. Then you pounce!)

(It worked once.)

OMG, I am so sorry >_< I don't mean to be a hot air balloon, it just seems to happen. It was all exciting with all my friends there and stuff, I was way too energized. Just slap me next time or something, lol. And I think I absorb oxygen through my pores when I talk, so don't count on me stopping to breathe...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived