Santa

Cantabile

It's pretty common knowledge that Coca Cola made Santa a big deal a couple of generations ago, Alison. They gave him his red and white outfit so as to match their advertising colors.

According to Snopes, that's a common misconception.

However, I think its very fair to say that they had a great deal to do with solidifying the current image.

The plot thickens.

ETA: But does this serve to support Irritable's assertion that:

the Santa myth has never been as popular as it is now a days,

Seems to me that Santa has been a pretty big fucking deal for several generations and yet only now are we dealing with a huge percentage of a generation full of attention whores and I'm Speshuls.

I don't buy it the correlation has anything to do with the myth of Santa.

They had a great deal to do with popularizing his current image and popularizing him in the media.

Oh no doubt. Although he was on the cover of the Saturday Evening Post before that.

I'm just glad that the red and white isn't actually based on Coca Cola colors. That would have been... sad.

Instead, I'm sort of wondering if its what led Coke to choose Santa as a marketing tool

Seems to me that Santa has been a pretty big fucking deal for several generations and yet only now are we dealing with a huge percentage of a generation full of attention whores and I'm Speshuls.

I don't buy it the correlation has anything to do with the myth of Santa.

It doesn't. Santa, when you look it up, is not near as old as you might assume, but he's still been around for like 70+ years.

He's not a new phenomenon you can blame for the latest "get those kids off my lawn" thing you rant about.

It doesn't. Santa, when you look it up, is not near as old as you might assume, but he's still been around for like 70+ years.

He's not a new phenomenon you can blame for the latest "get those kids off my lawn" thing you rant about.

Thank you for agreeing with me. :smug:

I thought 'Twas the Night Before Christmas is what popularized the reindeer and their names, and it had multiple descriptions of him being a fat jolly old elf. Him living in the North Pole and having factories of elfs didn't come until later, though.

Speaking of the elfs: what kind of message is that sending to children, eh? Slave labor, is what it is. Do we hear of elf unions? No. Elf salaries? No. They work all day, every day, for hundreds of years, building toys for people they will never even meet.

It's infinitely worse than any child labor sweat shop.

Santa = Slavemaster

That is pretty pedophiliac (let's pretend that's the adjectival form of 'pedophile' since I can't seem to find one). And what if some people don't want him to deliver presents? Then he's just outright breaking and entering. Not to mention stealing their milk and cookies.

And think about how much Rudolph suffered all those years until his big debut. Why didn't Santa step in and keep them from taunting him? I bet he was in on it. Probably having illegal flying reindeer fights too. Bastard.

Yeah, but he was basically like a pixie in that. No jolly fat guy with elf minions and flying reindeer.

Using Wikipedia again it seems a lot of the present day myth can be traced to cartoonist Thomas Nast who first depicted him in 1863. Also, L. Frank Baum's children's book The Life and Adventures of Santa Clause in 1902.

According to the site Nast gets credit for him being a jolly, plump old dude.

ETA:

Here's an article that talks about a book that would seem to interest you Cantabile. Although from the article I wonder if your real name isn't Matthew Brody. <_<

Link.

Here's an article that talks about a book that would seem to interest you Cantabile. Although from the article I wonder if your real name isn't Matthew Brody. <_<

Link.

That article is...beautiful, thank you. But I'm not asking anyone to boycott Christmas, nor have I called Santa "The Kimg Jon-il of the North Pole."

Though I like the comparison. I might have to steal it.

Archived