The NFL Thread 10

Stone-Made-Soft

And because it's never too early to think about next season

My beloved Cowboys have their easier games at home and the really tough ones on the road.

1. Dallas Cowboys

Home: New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Detroit Lions, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins

Away: New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New England Patriots, New York Jets

I would bet the Thanksgiving game will be Miami.

Wild card:

New Orleans Saints @ Seattle Seahawks

Anything other than a big win by the reigning champions would be a real surprise.

New York Jets @ Indianapolis Colts

I think momentum is important, and on Saturday it'll be more than a month since the Colts last lost a game.

Baltimore Ravens @ Kansas City Chiefs

This one can go either way, but since I'm making predictions I'll go ahead and pick Baltimore.

Green Bay Packers @ Philadelphia Eagles

I don't care how the Eagles are eliminated from these playoffs, I just do not want to see Michael Vick win the Superbowl.

Why? Is he forever ineligible in your opinion or only this season?

Why? Is he forever ineligible in your opinion or only this season?

I know that in the grand scheme of things, Vick's dog fighting ring is nowhere near the worst behaviour by a professional athlete in recent years. Hell, considering some of the things I've read about Roethlisberger it's possible that worse acts have been committed by other players in these playoffs. Vick's actions aren't unforgivable for me and in a year or two it's likely that I'll feel less strongly about him, but there are other players this year that I have a much easier time supporting.

Playoff Predictions:

WILD CARD WEEK:

AFC

Jets @ Colts: Jets

Manning is a machine. Manning has the experience and talent. The Jets have a TON of talent, but have a tendency of beating themselves. But in the end, I think the Jets talent wins out. The Colts machine just isn't as well oiled this year.

Ravens @ Chiefs: Chiefs

A lot of people are counting the Chiefs out. I think that despite the last game, the Chiefs have the offense to out score the Ravens. Cassel protects the ball and is efficient. The Chiefs offense is flexible enough to attack the Ravens without risking the turnovers. Their D is good enough to contain Rice and Flacco. And the final tilting point, is they are playing home. I have heard that many coaches aggree that it is one of the toughest places to play.

NFC

Packers @ Eagles: Eagles

The Pack are dangerous. Their D is fast and their offense is leathal, but its the Vick show. I think the Vick matchup is too much for the Pack. I think this is a high scoring game, and really could go either way. But Vick seems to have the mojo this year so, I am picking the Eagles

Saints @ Seahawks: Saints

Really... is anyone picking the Seahawks? I think the game will be closer than most people think, but in the end the Saints have gotten healthy and I think will be too much for the Seahawks. But I would LOVE to see the Seahawks win this (not that I don't like the Saints, its just the underdog thing)

DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS:

AFC

Jets @ Patriots: Patriots

The Patriots are on a mission. The only advantage that the opposing team has, is that the 3 potential oppenents are radically different. The Pats will only have 1 week really to prepare.

Chiefs @ Steelers: Steelers

I would love to say the Chiefs here, but I just can't. Playing in Pittsburgh against the Steeler D, will be too much for the Chiefs.

NFC

Saints @ Falcons: Saints

Saints have the tools to repeat. The Falcons will spend the whole time preparing for the Saints I'm sure, but Saints are peeking at the right moment.

Eagles @ Bears: Bears

I would like to say Vick and the Eagles, but I can’t. I think the weather and the Bears linebackers can handle Vick. I think the Bears win it in a close one

Conference Championships:

AFC

Steelers @ Patriots:: Patriots

Unless you are Payton Manning, I think the only chance that any team has right now against the Pats is to copy what the Packers did a few weeks ago. If you can keep the ball away from the offense, and hope that the Pats make some mistakes. You hopefully will be in it at the end of the game close enough to win.

NFC

Saints @ Bears: Bears

I think the Saints are a better team, but I just don’t think the Saints can win in the brutal weather in Chicago.

Super Bowl XLV:

Bears vs. Patriots : Patriots

Silver anniversary of Super Bowl XX. The Bears destroy the Pats. The Pats get their revenge… The Patriots are all business this time around.

Interestingly, the Eagles are only 4-4 at home this year. And they sort of sputtered after that huge comeback against the Giants. Perhaps because they'd clinched, but they did a piss poor job of going after the #2 seed. Other than an 8 minute burst against the Giants they have not looked good in their final three games.

The Eagles D is really suspect IMO. I watched the last few games, and what I noticed was that the tackling was awful. They will ride on Vick's shoulders`, which will not be enough to win it all.

Anything less than a great coach is a waste of time. In the modern parity driven league, that's a death sentence. He's a poor coach. (He's also a lot better coach than your ownership and management is as ownership and management.)

While this makes a lot of sense. How many "great" coaches are out there? Beyond Bellicek, who? Any way you slice it, it's a really really short list. So if you can't have one of the greats, then who? Are there any "great" coaches in the making right now?

The Eagles D is really suspect IMO. I watched the last few games, and what I noticed was that the tackling was awful. They will ride on Vick's shoulders`, which will not be enough to win it all.

Yup. The Eagles D will be their downfall this year (at some point). They have two rookie seventh-round picks starting (at MLA and FS). They've lost two talented (high-pick) rookies to injury (Brandom Graham @ DE, Nate Allen @ FS). They started the season with very little at RCB (Ellis Hobbs) and now they have less (Dmitri Patterson? Trevard Lindley?). They are historically bad in the red zone this season, and I'm not sold on defensive coordinator Sean McDermott at all. They are good at causing turnovers, however, which may save them for a couple of playoff games.

The offense, on the other hand, is pretty good (provided Vick stays upright).

Also, people got used to Vick. While he's a good QB, he does have tendencies to regress to being a bad QB if you put the right kinds of pressure on him. But yeah, mostly I think it's Philly's defense that is the weak link there.

Also, people got used to Vick. While he's a good QB, he does have tendencies to regress to being a bad QB if you put the right kinds of pressure on him. But yeah, mostly I think it's Philly's defense that is the weak link there.

This really is the key to beating him. Take away his long runs, his long passes, and still manage to bring pressure which admittedly not many defenses are able to do. But if you can make Vick have to beat you as a regular pocket-passing QB, he'll fail more often than he'll succeed.

Wild card Round:

New Orleans Saints @ Seattle Seahawks

Saints have too many weapons.

New York Jets @ Indianapolis Colts

Colts aren't the best team at home this year, but I think they've turned the corner on this season and will play in good form.

Baltimore Ravens @ Kansas City Chiefs

This is tough one to call. KC at home will play tough to the end and squeek by with the win.

Green Bay Packers @ Philadelphia Eagles

I think the Packers match up well against the Eagles. Their defense will frustrate Vick and force some mistakes. Meanwhile if Rodgers is ~on~ it will be a long day for the Eagles. If he's not, it still think the Packers can pull off the win.

Carolina would be stupid to pass up the number 2 overall and the second round number 2.

Perhaps... but what if Indianapolis had traded the number one pick to the Chargers for what you propose? Sometimes there's a world of difference in the first pick and the second.

Andrew Luck is being touted as the best prospect since Elway for chrissakes. I don't know if that's true or not, but would Denver have passed on Elway for any price in the world? If you're the front office of the Carolina Panthers and you think that Andrew Luck is the future of the NFL, then you'd be foolish to trade him under the terms mentioned.

:dunno:

While this makes a lot of sense. How many "great" coaches are out there? Beyond Bellicek, who? Any way you slice it, it's a really really short list. So if you can't have one of the greats, then who? Are there any "great" coaches in the making right now?

Winning makes great coaches. Before he was the greatest coach of all time, Bill Bellicek was the guy who failed in Cleveland. Before he was Bill Walsh, he was a so-so pro coordinator who had some success at Stanford.

On the flip side though... "great" fades when you aren't winning. Eric "Mangenius" has now been fired twice. Mike Shannahan was inexplicable in Washington.

Who would I list as a "great" coach currently? Certainly Bellicek. I might even put Tomlin in there. Beyond that though, I have a hard time naming other great coaches in the NFL today. I want to say Andy Reid because his teams are always consistently good (if never championship caliber). Can Mike Smith be called "great" yet?

Andrew Luck is being touted as the best prospect since Elway for chrissakes. I don't know if that's true or not, but would Denver have passed on Elway for any price in the world? If you're the front office of the Carolina Panthers and you think that Andrew Luck is the future of the NFL, then you'd be foolish to trade him under the terms mentioned.

Correction: The Broncos didn't pick Elway, the Colts did.

Word out of Philly has been that Reid is thinking of benching Vick because Vick has had troubles recognizing DB blitzers.

Word out of Philly has been that Reid is thinking of benching Vick because Vick has had troubles recognizing DB blitzers.

That could be real bad news for the Eagles. If Vick has trouble recognizing DB blitzers whats gonna happen when Woodson is constantly coming off the nickle back position, like he did against the Bears.

I really think that the Packers defense will be the difference in this game. They will be able to harrass and punish Vick and force him into turnovers, like the Vikings and Bears did.

Yep, harassment is the key. It's okay if Vick gets away a couple times too, because that's not sustainable in a game and as often as he runs for 20 yards he also gets sacked and ends drives.

I do think he's gotten better than he was before, but I think a lot of that is simply better players around him and a better program. I still see him doing the insane throw across his body when nothing's open and just run for it when he's under pressure, and he doesn't stand in the pocket and throw very often.

Not sure Kolb's the answer either, mind you. Honestly, I'd love to see Philly decide to go all new-school and have Vick as the RB and do a ton of QB option/HB pass plays half the time. How fun would that be to watch?

Yikes. Could that be intentional misinformation on the part of the Eagles? Keep the Packers guessing... I guess not. But it still doesn't make sense to me. Vick is known for his footwork and ability to get out of trouble. Sure that's different from reading a blitz....

Either way the Packers are gonna be playing their base and blitz oriented defense, Vick or not. Man, I love watching how the Packers use Woodson!

Latest line went from Eagles by 2.5 late Sunday to Eagles by 3 pts. I expect the line to even out more... like Eagles by 1 pt. Ehh, who knows.

Archived