Scott Lynch/Republic of Thieves

Ser Scot A Ellison

I noticed the last thread was locked so I started a new one. His last update on LJ was in October. I wanted to see if anyone knew how he was doing. He's been through an awful lot this year. The Amazon update now has RoT due out in May 2013. The last I heard RoT's was in the polishing stages. Is there any word on where the book is and more importantly how Scott is doing?

I noticed the last thread was locked so I started a new one. His last update on LJ was in October. I wanted to see if anyone knew how he was doing. He's been through an awful lot this year. The Amazon update now has RoT due out in May 2013. The last I heard RoT's was in the polishing stages. Is there any word on where the book is and more importantly how Scott is doing?

What happened with Scott?

Rhom,

I'm curious to find out how you can not know whether you knew something? Presumably you knew it or you didn't.

:P

Great question! I'll have to think on it and see if I know the answer or not! :lol:

Does Mr. Lynch have a day job? I can't imagine the sales of the first two books/plus whatever he got in advance for the third were so incredibly massive to last him this long.

He's a fire fighter.

So if he were prepared to live life on the cheap... like maybe avoiding going outside and buying boats/skimobiles and spending his time instead doing something like playing WoW... I would think he could live for quite a while on that amount.

Plus, was his advance only for this third one or do authors get advances for the entire series?

His books have sold very well, as far as I know. If teachers can live off of 30,000$ a year I don't see why a bestselling author couldn't make it for a few years off of three novels.

I had no idea about his depression. Very sad to hear about that. Is the depression because of the split with his wife, or is it more chronic?

I had no idea about his depression. Very sad to hear about that. Is the depression because of the split with his wife, or is it more chronic?

I looked at his blog, and it looks like he has a blog entry about his depression dating from March (before he and his wife split, if they divorced in April).

I looked at his blog, and it looks like he has a blog entry about his depression dating from March (before he and his wife split, if they divorced in April).

Hopefully it's just related to his marriage problems then and isn't anything long-term. Divorces are truly awful. Does he have children?

Does Mr. Lynch have a day job? I can't imagine the sales of the first two books/plus whatever he got in advance for the third were so incredibly massive to last him this long.

He sold the film rights for the first novel before it even came out. I can't remember if it was for the same amount as Morgan (about $1 million, IIRC) but certainly it was a hell of a lot, far more than he'd have gotten for his books alone.

I had no idea he was going thru so many problems. I just thought he had uber-writers block. Poor guy.

I was really looking forward to RoT, but his health and family come first, of course. I hope he works things out as best as he can, and I'll be ready and waiting to buy any book he comes out with in the near or far future. He's on the shortlist of authors that I'll immediately buy any hardcover release of whatever they put out: him, GRRM, Bakker, Sanderson, Sigler, Abraham. I think that's it.

Archived