Scott Lynch/Republic of Thieves

Ser Scot A Ellison

Yeah, Scott's talked about this online and on his blog and so forth. That said, we'll have to avoid crossing the line into gossiping, which isn't much fun when the author is (at least nominally) a member of this forum (he used to post here a fair bit).

He sold the film rights for the first novel before it even came out. I can't remember if it was for the same amount as Morgan (about $1 million, IIRC) but certainly it was a hell of a lot, far more than he'd have gotten for his books alone.

A $1 million sale to Hollywood, especially for an unpublished/unreleased book is extremely rare. I'm sure it's happened a few times (don't know the specifics), but it's no where near the norm. I was out in L.A. just the past two weeks and was talking to a former Fox executive who is dating a friend of a friend - he was a pretty big deal at Fox when I was but a lowly intern at a production company he oversaw, so it was interesting for me to have run into the guy this way. Anyway, he told me that it's far, far less likely these days for the big money sales of properties that were much more common back when I was working in the biz in the late 1990's early 2000's. Not sure when Lynch sold the rights to his book, but depending on when that happened, such a big sale might not even really have been possible.

It's more likely he got a fairly small upfront option or sales fee that might have something much more substantial on the back end (or not). It really all depends on the buzz surrounding a particular book and if you manage to get the thing into an auction between multiple studios/production companies bidding on the property. If you are in an auction situation, then things can get really crazy if all the stars align in your favor and you might get something really big. Unless something like that happened, it's more likely he's made some tens of thousands of dollars off optioning/selling the book up to this point, and is waiting for that magic first day of principle photography when the rest will come in (which is hopefully a lot more...but may not be, depending on the deal).

Richard Morgan made, IIRC, $1 million by selling the film rights to Altered Carbon to Joel Silver in 2001 or 2002, enough for him to drop the day job and write full-time. Lynch's sale would have been in 2006, to the Hageman brothers, for an undisclosed amount. Neither film has been made (obviously).

Richard Morgan made, IIRC, $1 million by selling the film rights to Altered Carbon to Joel Silver in 2001 or 2002, enough for him to drop the day job and write full-time. Lynch's sale would have been in 2006, to the Hageman brothers, for an undisclosed amount. Neither film has been made (obviously).

Scott was imploring the faithful for donations to his Mars serial not so long ago, to help with therapy bills and whatnot. I'm guessing whatever the advance for the books/ film rights has shrunk considerably...

• 3 weeks later...

Has there been a firm release date set for this yet? I ask because I received an email from Amazon stating it was Feb 17, 2011. I know Amazon's release dates are generally estimates but to go so far as to send an email leads me to wonder if they've received confirmation?

Has there been a firm release date set for this yet? I ask because I received an email from Amazon stating it was Feb 17, 2011. I know Amazon's release dates are generally estimates but to go so far as to send an email leads me to wonder if they've received confirmation?

I received that same email. But I don't trust Amazon release dates. I'd like to know if they are accurate this time.

As Werthead says -- and based on info gathered by him, I think; I certainly didn't come up with this stuff myself -- there's not a hope of the book coming out in February, none whatsoever. It was said a while back -- by Gollancz, or Lynch's US editor Anne Groell, or someone -- that if a batch of revisions was handed in on time the book could be out in summer 2011 -- amazon UK is currently showing a June 2011 date, I believe, though that date is also incorrect. But that didn't happen; the manuscript has, so far as we know, not yet been handed in in a revised form and has no publication date, and certainly not one that soon. Personally I'm in a very "expect it when/if we see it" place with RoT, and I haven't seen any info recently to change that.

Didn't know about the personal problems, good luck to him in battling them. Only read the first two books a short while ago and very much enjoyed them, I eagerly anticipate RoT. Anytime this year would be fantastic.

Bookdepository.com has the same date. I am inclined to believe it.

It's obvious you two haven't been waiting for A Dance with Dragons from 2000......

...after that, I'm never inclined to believe online retailer release dates, until the book is announced finished and ready to package. Until the ARCs are out, as they are for Wise Man's Fear.

It should go without saying that if a manuscript isn't finished and delivered, there's no way any book retailer can know for certain when the book will be released. Any date they use prior to that is, by definition, a guess. It may be an informed guess or a wild guess, but it's still a guess.

Granted, but Orion is Gollancz, and the February date is still in their own catalogue and on their website. I believe Wert's assertion, since he's talked to people in the know; I just wish they'd update their own site, especially since that's where the retailers are likely getting their information anyway. (I seem to recall they put out a catalogue listing a pub date of November 2009 a while ago, too, so obviously even they are not immune to guessing. ;))

Yeah, the publishers have not fixed this on their website, which is silly, but that's how it is.

The book is not coming out next month. If it was, ARCs would have been sent out months ago and us UK and a fair few American bloggers would have had copies already. I spoke to Scott's editor in late October and the book's final revision wasn't handed in then, which by itself makes a February release impossible (turning around The Wise Man's Fear in such a short timespan is a huge job for both UK and US publishers, and Lynch has not sold remotely on the same level as Rothfuss). The vibe then seemed to be maybe summer if we were lucky and the final MS was handed in quickly. Since that hasn't happened, the book probably won't even make it out in the summer.

It's also worth remembering that whilst we're excited for RoT and some other fans are, sales-wise Lynch is not a high-priority author for either publisher. He's not Rothfuss or Martin where the pubs will and have gone the extra mile to get the book out maybe 12 weeks after hand-in.

My current gut instinct (and just that, no new behind-the-scenes info) is that we won't see the book this year. That would be a shame, especially since we definitely have Rothfuss and we almost certainly have Martin. It would have been nice to get all three of the 'Great Delayed' books out in quick succession, but it appears that's not going to happen. Things could still change if Lynch hands the book in imminently though.

Now, you're talking, Wert!

I hoped you'd share more info with us, therefore my last post. Problem is, my memory doesn't serve me well and I couldn't remember what was the last info we got from Scott in one of his last years' posts. For a moment, I thought he said that the final draft was given to the publisher. I may have mixed that up with Pat Rothfuss' post.

Having new Abercrombie, Rothfuss, Bakker, GRRM and two new Abraham books in one year should be more than enough.

:drool:

Archived