Scott Lynch/Republic of Thieves

Ser Scot A Ellison

Wert's been saying that for years, so I wouldn't but any added weight to it (even if Wert can back up his thoughts on this).

With Martin, we'll see it when we see it.

And I agree with his assessment on RoT - I've seen no mention of it in any catalog to date, so I think next year is most likely, possibly this fall/winter, but probably not until the spring at the earliest.

I know you said it's your gut instinct, but really?

Based on information from the TCAs, the signing and what Bantam and Voyager have been saying, then yes, ADWD at present is 'close' to delivery. Apparently it should have been already if not for GRRM's recent illness. Look in the ASoIaF forum under the 5 chapters to go post.

bah - there's been hope and positve reports for the past 3-4 years.

I advocate that the best approach to it is to forget about it until we get an official announcement. There are plenty of other good books out there.

Continuting the thread-drift into the "topic that shall not be discussed on Westeros"...

I kind of assumed that when GRRM made his "Nightmare Before Christmas" not a blog post and said:

I did hope to have some exciting announcements to make at TCA, but that won't be happening now

That he was referring to ADWD. :dunno:

Of course... the guy thought that by skipping a WorldCon in Japan 3 years ago he'd be able to finish the book back then. :lol:

So I'm in the same book of kcf, I'll see it when I see it.

I advocate that the best approach to it is to forget about it until we get an official announcement. There are plenty of other good books out there.

GRRM officially announced it would have been handed in etc. I agree with your sentiment but this is easily the best news we've had on the book since 2005.

In addition, even if GRRM changed his mind and decided to add 300 pages to the book, it'll have to be split. So we will (probably, barring unforseen catastrophes) get ADWD or ADWD Part I in 2011. And for further discussion of that, take it over to the ASoIaF forum please.

Couldn't see this posted anywhere, from the Mad Hatter Bookshelf Blog:

his is much welcome news given that Scott Lynch's The Republic of Thieves has been pushed back again this time to June and Richard Morgan's The Cold Commands is currently set for October, but both of these could change.

Link to the Posting

Obviously I have no idea how well connected this guy is as I only found his blog today and was going through back posts to see how good it was, it was posted back on November 8th so who knows? Hopefully it is June, Amazon still had Feb across the board back when this was posted, wishful thinking on my part no doubt, RoT is my joint most anticipated book with ADWD in all genres. It goes without saying Scott's health comes first and foremost and I wish him all the best.

There was a catalogue entry a while back mentioning June as a possible date for RoT, so it's probably from that. Morgan's book is indeed now pencilled in for October, but again hasn't been delivered AFAIK.

I could ask Gollancz again, but I ask them like three times a year in email and every time I meet the editor (usually twice a year, sometimes more), to the point where it's turning into a running joke. They've said that when it's finished, in and dated, we will definitely hear about it.

Based on information from the TCAs, the signing and what Bantam and Voyager have been saying, then yes, ADWD at present is 'close' to delivery. Apparently it should have been already if not for GRRM's recent illness. Look in the ASoIaF forum under the 5 chapters to go post.

With all due respect, you've been saying this, or things remarkably similar to this, since what, 2006?

So it's hardly surprising that people don't necessarily give it a lot of weight, regardless of how well you phrase it, or how logical it may seem on the surface.

I remember in 2007 that people predicting the book would be out in the end of 2008 were being almost universally crucified as George hating negative nellies. 2008!!!

With all due respect, you've been saying this, or things remarkably similar to this, since what, 2006?

That the book was close to being delivered? Er, no, I haven't. There's certainly been plenty of times when it felt like we might be a few months away from completion, but there has been no time when that period has been reduced to a few weeks and backed up by statements from both his UK and US publishers as well as GRRM himself.

Bantam also haven't spent tens of thousands of dollars on rebranding and rejacketing the entire series and readying TV spots in preperation for the new book's release before. More than anything else, that should be proof enough that we are approaching, or actively in, the endgame of this process.

Amazon.co.uk is now saying November 2011.

That sounds a hell of a lot more likely to me.

That the book was close to being delivered? Er, no, I haven't. There's certainly been plenty of times when it felt like we might be a few months away from completion,

Urm... yes, exactly. Hence the 'remarkably similar' part of my post.....

Whatever, it's not that important, and certainly not worth a thread jack...

Carry on.......

Couldn't see this posted anywhere, from the Mad Hatter Bookshelf Blog:

his is much welcome news given that Scott Lynch's The Republic of Thieves has been pushed back again this time to June and Richard Morgan's The Cold Commands is currently set for October, but both of these could change.

Link to the Posting

Obviously I have no idea how well connected this guy is as I only found his blog today and was going through back posts to see how good it was, it was posted back on November 8th so who knows? Hopefully it is June, Amazon still had Feb across the board back when this was posted, wishful thinking on my part no doubt, RoT is my joint most anticipated book with ADWD in all genres. It goes without saying Scott's health comes first and foremost and I wish him all the best.

he lives in NY city and is regular personal contact with publishing folks, so I would believe he has a reliable source at Del Rey/Spectra for this.

Although it needs to be remembered that Gollancz have the first-print rights for the series, so if they are now saying November in the UK, it'll be November at the earliest for the USA as well.

After Pat's post, I called my local Chapters and they said the book is available to pre-order and both the trade paperback and hardcover will be released March 9th here in Canada.

You can bet your bottom dollar that it won't be out in March. There is no way that the book could be released to the general public without any of the bloggers that post on this forum already having an ARC. None. Pre-order it now and you are guaranteed to be told that there is a delay at some point between now and March.

Just repeating what they told me. Realistically, Lynch's publishers could easily be playing this close to the chest and the lack of ARCs and our disgruntled musings might ensure increased sales. I've never really had issues with delays and such once Chapters gets their greedy hooks into it. Btw, whatever cover Chapters has on it's website for TROT looks awesome.

Madness wrote:

After Pat's post, I called my local Chapters and they said the book is available to pre-order and both the trade paperback and hardcover will be released March 9th here in Canada.

I am not a book blogger, nor do I play one on TV. I do not get arcs; I have no publishing contacts. But the Chapters folks lie, or rather speak in ignorance, I promise you this, because there is no way on earth or in hell. Because the book hasn't even been handed in, revised and completed, to Lynch's publishers, and even if it was handed in tomorrow [and there's been no hint that hand in is imminent] they would have to copy edit, and type set, and do all the other fun things that have to be done to a book before it's fit for the public.

And there is no way, if the book was done, advance copies would not be produced and announcements made. Publishers will want to trumpet Lynch's return as loudly as possible when/if the book is done, because he's probably fallen off the general book buying public's radar having not had a book in some years [to the extent he was ever there in the first place; he was never a Rothfuss.] Believe me, I want the book to appear in a blaze of glory, and more importantly for Lynch to meet with great health and success, but I can't see how the book could be done without folks around here knowing.

Archived