Scott Lynch/Republic of Thieves

Ser Scot A Ellison

Just repeating what they told me. Realistically, Lynch's publishers could easily be playing this close to the chest and the lack of ARCs and our disgruntled musings might ensure increased sales. I've never really had issues with delays and such once Chapters gets their greedy hooks into it. Btw, whatever cover Chapters has on it's website for TROT looks awesome.

Because people talking about a book and knowing that it's coming have been proven to decrease sales, right?

After Pat's post, I called my local Chapters and they said the book is available to pre-order and both the trade paperback and hardcover will be released March 9th here in Canada.

Madness, I've worked at a Chapters/Indigo/Coles store for many years. Books will always have release dates, but that don't mean they're right- when you call up Chapters, unless you're talking to someone who knows a lot about that specific book, they're just going to tell you what the computers tell them. And the dates assigned can be very arbitrary (I think ADWD was once due to come out in 2052 at one point according to our computer system, which may actually be a close estimate).

The book has not been finalised or handed in. A finalised publication slot has not been assigned to it yet. It is, sure as hell, not coming out in February or March. Amazon, Chapters and other booksellers are going by incorrect database information that has not been updated yet (and they're leaving it late; they did this with ADWD where the November 2008 date got 'locked' onto certain systems and couldn't be changed for some reason, to the point where some sellers claim it actually came out on that date but they're just out of stock, which is obviously not the case).

If The Wise Man's Fear is getting ARCs, you can guarantee that Republic of Thieves, a vastly less-prominent release from a lower-selling author, will as well.

Wow...

I think we've made that clear.

Sorry, Madness. It's just that some of us have been here -- waiting for a long-delayed book -- before, and we're very familiar with how trustworthy book sellers' [Chapters, Amazon, etc] release dates tend to be when the book hasn't been handed in to the publisher, which is not at all. Until the publisher gives them a definite date with some of these long-delayed projects they're just guessing, you see, but they continue to guess with no information and it moves us to rage. When/if there's news, I'm sure we'll hear about it here.

I may have been overly-harsh there.

But if this book was coming out in a matter of weeks, than myself, Pat, Ken and a few other bloggers here would know about it and would certainly let everyone know about it. Scott would also likely confirm the situation via his blog.

Gollancz are now postulating a November 2011 release date as the earliest possible date it could come out. Of course, Tor have just said the book's coming out in February on their website. Expect chaos as a result.

Lynch's US publisher is Bantam. Tor.com does some monthly roundup posts of genre books coming out in the next month in the States, including lots of publishers other than Tor, and they've listed the novel by mistake, doubtless due to the incorrect amazon listings [which really should have been taken down by now.]

did everybody else feel that book 2 was a massive let down after book one?  book 2 was.... i can't really think of the correct word, but the closest i can come is 'meh and lame'

I liked it slightly better than book 1. Broader story with deeper characterization and  a less jarring disconnect between tone and content. 

did everybody else feel that book 2 was a massive let down after book one? book 2 was.... i can't really think of the correct word, but the closest i can come is 'meh and lame'

Overall I felt it was on a similar level. I thought it was entertaining but took a bit longer to get going than LOLL. When it did get going the shit really hit the fan and I enjoyed the various twists and the cliffhanger moreso than in book 1. So I'm still looking forward to the next one and I'm figuring that the delay is more to do with Scott's personal problems than with the manuscript. Scott feeling better should be his priority but I can only guess that having pressure on delivering a book can be problematic.

did everybody else feel that book 2 was a massive let down after book one? book 2 was.... i can't really think of the correct word, but the closest i can come is 'meh and lame'

I wouldn't say it was a massive letdown, but I did prefer the first book. The second book was still reasonably good and an entertaining read but the first book was probably better in just about every respect.

I wouldn't say it was a massive letdown, but I did prefer the first book. The second book was still reasonably good and an entertaining read but the first book was probably better in just about every respect.

I think the second book was still better than about 90% of the shit our there calling itself fantasy.

Archived