Natalia Tena Interviewed

Westeros

Via Bleeding Cool, we’ve learned of a video interview with Natalia Tena (who plays Osha) which covers a range of topics related to her acting, with a particular focus on the Harry Potter films. However, she is asked about HBO’s Game of Thrones, which she speaks of in very enthusiastic terms. In fact, she indicates that she loved working on it so much that she’s been reading the first book. She mentions that after the mini-wrap party on the 11th, she was due to film a brand new scene written for her which seems to be her last scene for the production. The Game of Thrones discussion starts at the 5:10 mark:

The first part of the interview, and some details about it, can be found at Bleeding Cool.

Visit the Site!

Cool interview. Dunno what the first bit was about, but the GoT part was good, especially how she's become a huge fan of the books. Dunno about her saying there's a LOTR feel to the books, it certainly wasn't my impression, but that's a bit of a personal impression I suppose. I hope people who don't like LOTR and don't know GoT aren't turned off by a comment like this.

She seemed to be pretty certain of filming season 2 in Spring. I guess she must have signed up to something to secure her availability for season 2, which would include a date range for filming (being Spring). Though there must be some conditionality. Perhaps in her enthusiasm for the series she's thinking that there's just no way season 2 is going to be axed.

She seems to have a limited experience of fantasy, but she knew that LotR was closer than Gaiman's work, which is about right. :) And remember, David and Dan have pitched it as "The Sopranos in Middle-earth".

I'd take her statement to mean that it'll film in the Spring (if green lit).

That said, signs are looking pretty good. There aren't many shows HBO drops after a single season. Out of 14 original hour-longs HBO has produced, two lower-budget, small-scale things (Tell Me You Love Me and John of Cincinatti) were cancelled, and a third (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency) wasn't quite a full series anyways and would likely have had more seasons but for the death of executive producer Anthony Minghella. The scale of HBO's investment in the show suggests that only some truly catastrophic event(s) are needed for them not to give it a second season.

I believe HBO will wait to see if its premiere is a dud or not. Others, more optimistic than I, hope HBO gives the go-ahead even before the premiere. We shall see. :)

Dunno about her saying there's a LOTR feel to the books, it certainly wasn't my impression, but that's a bit of a personal impression I suppose. I hope people who don't like LOTR and don't know GoT aren't turned off by a comment like this.

She was comparing it to Gaiman, and probably in her mind to Potter, the other fantasy project she's been a prominent actor in. Compared to Gaiman and Potter, it's much, much closer to LotR. Both are big epics with wars and swords and armor and that sort of thing. I think it's a fair thumbnail comparison, especially as she later qualified it by explaining how GoT is more about the intrigue and human interactions than fighting some big Foozle.

Archived