What's Wrong With Our Youth?

Cantabile

In this age of the politically correct, why have such hateful and discriminatory words become seemingly commonplace among the younger generations?

Teenagers call things "gay" as a negative adjective for everything imaginable: "That test was so gay, dude," "that song is gay, turn it off," completely oblivious to how wrong that is. Replace "gay" with any other category, "That test is so Jewish," and you can see what I mean.

I overhear teenagers call each other "nigger" as a playful term of endearment. And I hear people casually use terms of sexual violation for sentences like, "Man, the Yankees ass-raped the Giants in that game last night."

And what's worse, people actually justify using these terms! Teenagers think it's perfectly acceptable to throw around "gay" simply because in their minds the word has multiple meanings, and they're not using the one for homosexuality.

How can people be so blind as to see how this is making atrocious things like discrimination based on sexual orientation, racism, and sexual violation more socially acceptable? I want to vomit on white people whenever they call their friend "nigger."

And for us who are disgusted by this trend in language, what can we do to stop it?

:bang:

Fixed the title, wasn't aware certain words would prevent readers from visiting the forum.

And it's not simply Americans that have this social issue, nor even simply the younger generations. I hear adults call things "retarded" all the time, and while I find that highly offensive many find it perfectly socially acceptable.

once again you are bored and trying to bring life to the board with topics not nearly as exciting or titillating as sexually deviant 12 year old grandsons....

however...

what of black people who throw about the 'n-word?' are they equally disgusting and vomit-inducing? words are only as offensive as the people who are the recipient of them feel them to be. words are only so powerful. you are perhaps too sensitive to words.

Replace "gay" with any other category, "That test is so Jewish," and you can see what I mean.

:lol: A couple years ago that was what was used, gay is the term that replaced it and now gay is falling out of use back to the old standard retarded.

once again you are bored and trying to bring life to the board with topics not nearly as exciting or titillating as sexually deviant 12 year old grandsons....

I'm not posting this topic out of boredom, but out of frustration. My wife has always used "retard" derogatorily, despite my protests, and today I was overhearing a group of teenagers that were using every offensive term imaginable as though they were discussing the weather or fluffy kittens. Absolutely enraging and disgusting at the same time.

what of black people who throw about the 'n-word?' are they equally disgusting and vomit-inducing? words are only as offensive as the people who are the recipient of them feel them to be. words are only so powerful. you are perhaps too sensitive to words.

There is no comparison: The reason black people have taken to using 'nigger' as a term of affection is because of how powerful and hateful the word was used by those who historically enslaved and treated them like shit. By using it as a term of affection for one another they stripped the venom from the word. It's the same concept as Tyrion explains to Jon in Game of Thrones: You armor yourself in your weaknesses. It's a common strategy that minority groups that are heavily descriminated against employ.

:lol: A couple years ago that was what was used, gay is the term that replaced it and now gay is falling out of use back to the old standard retarded.

"Jewish" was used as a widespread negative adjective a few years ago? I must be out of the loop.

I believe Jewish is still around. Gay definitely did not replace jewish. Use of gay as a catchall negative term has been around for at least 12 years (my first memories of it used as such).

Hmm well it did where I live, faggot was used before Jewish IIRC.

Gay rights have made more headway in recent times than in this country's history, and the issue becomes more and more pronounced with each passing year. Yet despite all this people still use "gay" constantly. In California, especially, I expect better than that of the citizens. Is that so much to ask for?

Hmm well it did where I live, faggot was used before Jewish IIRC.

Maybe my Portland high school was on the cutting edge of politically incorrect slang!

Though it does make me wonder how slang like that spread before the internet and youtube were so huge.

Be concerned about intent behind words instead of words themselves. Intent poses danger. Words do not.

Intent poses more danger than words, certainly, but the words themselves are harmful. These aren't empty, meaningless syllables, but a form of identity for millions of individuals. Constantly using and hearing "gay" used for negative things creates an atmosphere of inequality and discrimination, even if peripherally. Our biases are primarily formed subconsciously through our social environments.

You can't tell me you'd have no problem if society started saying "This food tastes nigger, man," even if their proposed intent wasn't to discriminate against black people. Intent or not, it does discriminate.

Maybe my Portland high school was on the cutting edge of politically incorrect slang!

Though it does make me wonder how slang like that spread before the internet and youtube were so huge.

I live in a small town (though right next to a large city) so maybe slang just gets to us later. Though it does seem that the pseudo-swears (for lack of a better term) only ever last 2 or 3 years here.

Archived