What's Wrong With Our Youth?

Cantabile

True, but I think it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other. There are plenty of poor parents out there who not only are not involved with their kids to the extent they need to be but also pass on their misogyny, their prejudices and bigotry from early childhood development and beyond.

I refuse to raise a shithead.

Shit, I guess Mav is screwed seeing as how his father came into this thread, used almost all of the words in question, and I laughed hysterically.

Guess I'm raising a shithead. At least he's cute. :P

And more on topic, I find it incredibly ironic that Cantabile has used the n- word more than anyone I can recall on the board in this thread. I also find it disturbing that he thinks that it's better to have it used in anger on rare occasions than used frequently by the very people who have reclaimed the word that oppressed them.

And more on topic, I find it incredibly ironic that Cantabile has used the n- word more than anyone I can recall on the board in this thread. I also find it disturbing that he thinks that it's better to have it used in anger on rare occasions than used frequently by the very people who have reclaimed the word that oppressed them.

How is that ironic? Discussing something usually requires mentioning it. I'm not going to equivocate about the word rather than just speak about it directly. And where did I ever state that I disapprove of it being used by the people who reclaimed it? When I mentioned black people using it I explained that it's acceptable for them to use it, in contrast to others, because oppressed minorities using pejoratives as amiable words is a common strategy of taking away the word's power to oppress them. So the way of thinking that you find disturbing simply doesn't exist, and I'm not sure what quote even lead you to that false assumption.

Probably just not wasting his time, based on its continuing use in the thread. (Of course, I've no actual idea where he is. I can see him just not bothering to get involved, and I can also see him coming in and laying a memorable smackdown, as he has in the past.)

ETA: Also, it's obviously love. Dub was something like the 7th person to make that 'joke'. :P I know humour varies from person to person, but it lost whatever shock humour it had after the first one. :lol:)

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood you here.

My reading comprehension does lack, afterall.

If memory serves, that quote is in response to someone saying that it's better for "nigger" to be widespread and used casually, as that will take the hate away from it. And my position is: no, the word still carries very strong hatred when used in that way, regardless of the fact that it's now being casually used additionally.

I suppose a problem with reclaiming a word, is that if the people group still takes offense at the word, then have they really reclaimed it or make any improvements? "Bitch" and "nigger" are good examples: If women and black people are comfortable with using it amongst themselves, but are offended when others use it, how have they made the word less powerful? They've made it less powerful amongst themselves, certainly, but it being used by their own in groups isn't the problem they're trying to address.

Also, Cantabile, you can refer to the word without typing it out in full. It's unnecessary, and I think a bit indulgent.

I just don't see the point in beating around the bush about a topic, when the discussion is about that topic. Saying "the N word" and other equivocations seem simply pointless. God isn't killing a kitten every time someone types it out.

If memory serves, that quote is in response to someone saying that it's better for "nigger" to be widespread and used casually, as that will take the hate away from it. And my position is: no, the word still carries very strong hatred when used in that way, regardless of the fact that it's now being casually used additionally.

History says otherwise, hence all the offensive words that are no longer used. Who here would be pissed of if someone declared a pox on their house?

To you. Euphemisms of all sorts do have their places.

I agree, but I don't think euphemisms have a place when directly having a conversation about an issue. If it were a thread about death, than saying "kick the bucket" rather than bluntly referring to being deceased seems unnecessary. When I took classes in sociology and studies of racism the professors treated the word the same way. If you're going to hit a nail, hit it head on, don't tap it from the sides.

History says otherwise, hence all the offensive words that are no longer used. Who here would be pissed of if someone declared a pox on their house?

Undoubtedly. If an insult produces no actual insult to the person, then it ceases to become an insult and will fall out of use. But that is not the case with "bitch" or "nigger" as these words still produce offense, and both groups (women and blacks) have only reclaimed it for their own groups, while still taking offense when others use it.

But what does it matter if an offensive word falls out of disuse? As long as there is sentiment, there will always be a word to express that sentiment. New insults will simply take their place, targeting the same people groups. Pretty pointless to kill a cockroach if a new one just springs up in its place every time. One needs to target the sentiment itself.

"The N word" and "the F word" and so on are childish as hell.

That's my feeling on the issue as well. We're adults, and I would hope all of us can get past the "but it's a bad word!" response conditioned into us by our culture. Using unnecessary euphemisms just makes me feel like a child.

But, again, you're the one deciding they're unnecessary. (And, as far as I know, those words you're so keen to see written out haven't been used against you personally, which will naturally increase the amount of detachment you have in seeing them. I may be wrong, though, I admit, and not every word is offensive to everyone even when it is a slur directly against them.)

This isn't a private sociology classroom, it's a public messageboard with tens of thousands of registered members, unknown numbers of unregistered readers, and each individual's -- sometimes visceral -- reactions to slurs like that.

Not to mention that as a practical matter, using words like that (and c*nt, and even sometimes f*ck and other, lesser words) triggers various filters and will prevent users from even getting to the site, or at least the thread pages where the word is.

This isn't a private sociology classroom, it's a public messageboard with tens of thousands of registered members, unknown numbers of unregistered readers, and each individual's -- sometimes visceral -- reactions to slurs like that.

If the word alone bothers them so much on a visceral level, then I don't really think they're going to engage in a discussion about the word. But one of my original complaint about the word is that it doesn't cause a visceral reaction in people in this day and age, simply because it's used so casually by millions of people as slang. I believe it causes a visceral reaction when used as an insult, but not the mere mention of the word itself.

Not to mention that as a practical matter, using words like that (and c*nt, and even sometimes f*ck and other, lesser words) triggers various filters and will prevent users from even getting to the site, or at least the thread pages where the word is.

This reason I can accept and understand. I won't use any curse words in future posts to avoid triggering filters.

Well, something's certainly go their panties in a bunch in this thread....

That's assuming I'm wearing any! ;)

And, interestingly enough - for the record, I have actually had discussions about reclaiming the word "Panties!" :laugh:

Just to throw out a few "out of use" female-centric insults:

virago, slattern, xanthipe, shrew, termagant, harridan, harpy, battle-ax...

My favourite is virago. But, I'll also accept the nomenclature "M'lady" or "Mistress". :devil:

Cant, I'm not even reading your posts anymore, to be honest. You are just completely full of shit.

It's always more convenient to just say someone that has opposing viewpoints is "full of shit" rather than actually disproving them :rolleyes:

Regardless, I finally managed to get one of my sociology acquaintances on the phone, and after her diatribe I'm ready to admit that I was wrong about "bitch" not being oppressive to women, and I offer an apology to everyone I argued the point ignorantly against: Balefont, and Aoif mainly.

Guest Raidne

It's always more convenient to just say someone that has opposing viewpoints is "full of shit" rather than actually disproving them :rolleyes:

See post #212.

Regardless, I finally managed to get one of my sociology acquaintances on the phone, and after her diatribe I'm ready to admit that I was wrong about "bitch" not being oppressive to women, and I offer an apology to everyone I argued the point ignorantly against: Balefont, and Aoif mainly.

Great!

Now go back and read your OP.

Sometimes we are the jerk that we've been waiting for. :lol:

Archived