Devastated by the...

crispy

I'm fairly new to the series and brand new to this forum. In fact, I sought this place out because I don't know anyone else reading this series, and at this point I feel like I need people to talk to just to get through the rest of it!

Last night before bed, I read a few chapters as I always do. I was at the part in A Storm of Swords where Edmure marries a Frey daughter. It utterly gutted me. I had to re-read several pages to make sure I was reading it correctly.

It is not hyperbole to say that I have never been this affected by scenes from a book. I mean, I've read books where important characters die, but this was just so unexpected and so mean! I had been looking forward to Arya reuniting with Robb and her mother... and then to have that happen. At two and a half books in, I had come to believe that Robb was the central character and that the ongoing premise of the entire series was bringing this family back together. Now I honestly don't know where Martin is going with it.

Were other readers as shocked and devastated by this scene as I was? Do people think Martin is planning to kill off most of the major characters, or can we hope for a happy ending for anyone?

Hey Crispy, welcome to the boards :)

I was quite shocked by the Red Wedding, as were most of us here, I think. I thought that it was all somebody's dream until other characters started talking about it.

The past four books have told us that main characters aren't safe, so I'm wary about getting too attached to any of them. ;)

Welcome to the club. I think everyone was shocked. I really hope that in the TV series there is no hint about it until it happens.

Also, when I first read the first book I went to the Wikipedia to read more about the other books.

I had no problem spoiling myself and even so when I read the pages about the Red Wedding I was shocked, I was reading the book and hoping it would not really happen.

Well i think that every one of us was shocked but Robb was a great character in the story, but never one of the main characters, IMO.

He never had a POV chapter, but this don't tells us much, Ned had a lot o POV and is a head shorter all the same.

I had no problem spoiling myself and even so when I read the pages about the Red Wedding I was shocked, I was reading the book and hoping it would not really happen.

I have this hope when I do a re reading. :)

While I didn't see the Red Wedding coming, my reaction wasn't quite the same as yours.

It was more along the lines of "Hooray, no more Cat chapters!"

Keep reading. There will be more shocks as you get further into the books. I'd also avoid these forums and wikis as much as possible. There are many major spoilers ahead.

Like this one:

John Snow is the bastard child of Mirri Maz Dur and Strong Belwas. It is known.

Pshhh, Strong Belwas is an eunuch. Everyone knows that Jon Snow is the love child of Bloodraven and Xaro Xhoan Daxos.

As for the Red Wedding, yeah, keep reeding. And get ready for more surprising and brutal deaths in store before ASOS ends.

The Red Wedding got to me as well, especially as I really thought we would finally get the necessary positive climax of all these pointless chapters about Arya's odyssey. I had no idea about it - back in '05 I had all three books and was somewhat spoiled about Robert's and Ned's deaths by reading the appendices of the second and third books, but I had no idea whatsoever about the Red Wedding. Although there are many clues foreshadowing it. A line of Patchface, Dany's vision of a dead wolf-king on a wedding in the House of the Undying, among others.

But you should keep in mind that Robb Stark never was the main protagonist of this series. He was just an important secondary character. He fought the wrong war (remember Osha telling him to march into the North?) just like Ned did, and I really felt that the Starks would get into trouble with their separatism when Dany would return in the end, as she would never allow them to continue this stupidity.

But still, the Red Wedding is somewhat irritating as it totally shifts the political situation you have grown accustomed to. But ASoS really has two or even three (it depends on what you are able to guess) other huge surprises in store for you, so keep reading. Robb's death is just the beginning.

Just because someone is dead that doesn't mean that you can't treasure the time you spent with them in life. It doesn't even mean that you'll never see or hear from them again. Death isn't cheap in Westeros, but it's not always final either. Robb and Lady Catelyn may be as lifeless as stones, but in your heart they will live forever.

I wasn't shocked, but I was definitely devastated. Robb had become one of my favorite characters by then. And I could really tell as I was reading the chapter and the one or two chapters leading up to it that something was going to go horribly wrong. So even though it didn't really surprise me, I don't think I've ever felt so much dread reading a book before.

I'm surprised that the Edmure marrying the Frey girl was as horrifying to some people as the murder of Robb and Catelyn. Roslin was actually pretty cute, if I recall correctly.

Also, if you take the fact that alot of people love Tyrion, who is described as being ugly incarnate, all this Roslin hate is just hypocritical. Or sexist, saying that it's ok for men to be ugly and not women. Maybe I should mention that on the sexism topic.

I'm fairly new to the series and brand new to this forum. In fact, I sought this place out because I don't know anyone else reading this series, and at this point I feel like I need people to talk to just to get through the rest of it!

Last night before bed, I read a few chapters as I always do. I was at the part in A Storm of Swords where Edmure marries a Frey daughter. It utterly gutted me. I had to re-read several pages to make sure I was reading it correctly.

It is not hyperbole to say that I have never been this affected by scenes from a book. I mean, I've read books where important characters die, but this was just so unexpected and so mean! I had been looking forward to Arya reuniting with Robb and her mother... and then to have that happen. At two and a half books in, I had come to believe that Robb was the central character and that the ongoing premise of the entire series was bringing this family back together. Now I honestly don't know where Martin is going with it.

Were other readers as shocked and devastated by this scene as I was? Do people think Martin is planning to kill off most of the major characters, or can we hope for a happy ending for anyone?

Read this thread. Maybe it will cheer you up, it did me:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/46568-i-cant-take-it/

Also, if you take the fact that alot of people love Tyrion, who is described as being ugly incarnate, all this Roslin hate is just hypocritical. Or sexist, saying that it's ok for men to be ugly and not women. Maybe I should mention that on the sexism topic.

Maybe so, but Roslin isn't ugly. While Freys are described as generally stoat-looking, Roslin herself is described as quite pretty. She's no stunner like Cersei, but she's not ugly or even plain.

I am a bit off topic here, but many times when Robb and the RW come up, we make the same points: there is no singular protagonist in the series, and hey, we never had a POV from him anyway.

On the first point that's true there is no singular hero to be sure-if there are even heroes of any number might be debatable. However I feel no less attached to Robb just because we had no POV from him. in someways, it almost

makes it worse. I never had the chance to get in his head and truly find out how I felt about the poor chap. To me, I felt robbed (no pun intended) of getting to know a character that I was really looking forward to reading more of. I guess that's what "hurt" the most. I sometimes think GRRM writes his non POV's better than he does the POV's. see Kevan Lannister and Blackfish.

Archived