More from the Game of Thrones Screening

Westeros

We’ve been waiting quite eagerly to hear more about the 15 minute extended trailer, which we reported on last night. Now there’s not just one, but two quite detailed reports. Naturally, the first came from Winter is Coming, and includes commentary from Fire and Blood. Some interesting details in there, from the minor things—the change to the maester’s chain from a close-fitting collar to a long, broad loop (I’ve known about this since my visit to the Castle Black set, as Peter Vaughan [Maester Aemon] was wearing in the scene I witnessed filming)—to more substantial matter such as several brand-new scenes.

And now from critic (and fellow ASoIaF-enthusiast) Maureen Ryan has posted a thorough recap, breaking it down into general categories and going some of her likes and dislikes. For ourselves, the most notable bit was that Mo’s initial concerns about what she saw with the eastern scenes seem to have been assuaged a fair bit by Emilia Clarke, Harry Lloyd, and company. Excellent to hear! We expect to be hearing from quite a few more critics today, as there’s to be additional screenings.

Once all the madness is over, perhaps we’ll discuss some of the little details that have been changed in relation to the books, based on all these various reports, from the maester’s chain of office to the stained glass in the throne room and even the eyeliner that graces Khal Drogo. If anyone has any additional questions about some of these details, feel free to comment and I’ll see if I can address them in relation to the text.

Visit the Site!

Fantastic! Love that early reviews are largely positive. The anticipation is killing me.

I like the sound of the added scenes; they're needed to depict various POVs and flesh the plot out. I'm also thrilled at the glowing reviews for Clarke, because it's a difficult role she's playing, really.

A shot of Jon vs. Jaime? How interesting.

Methinks D&D know something about the future of this series that we don't know.

Yeah, what the hell is going on there? Is Jon a Jaime fan and just wants to shake his hand? Is Jaime interested in Ned's bastard? Is there some sort of strange homo-eroticism vibe going on? What gives?

Yeah, what the hell is going on there? Is Jon a Jaime fan and just wants to shake his hand? Is Jaime interested in Ned's bastard? Is there some sort of strange homo-eroticism vibe going on? What gives?

Jaime just sold him a small bag of weed, and was trying to hand it off casually but Jon was way too nervous.

Jon was very impressed with Jaime when he first saw him, as I recall. He thought Jaime looked how a king should be, not so with Robert. I think it's quite possible we'll see a bit of hero worship from Jon towards Jaime...though how Jaime reacts to that will be interesting, Jon being a bastard and all. I bet they use the moment to drive home how bastards are not accepted, even less so in the South.

(I noticed at the actors' feet you can see their marks in that photo. That must be either a behind the scenes shot, or they didn't reframe it to cut out the feet, as would be done for a final edit.)

Jon was very impressed with Jaime when he first saw him, as I recall. He thought Jaime looked how a king should be, not so with Robert. I think it's quite possible we'll see a bit of hero worship from Jon towards Jaime...though how Jaime reacts to that will be interesting, Jon being a bastard and all. I bet they use the moment to drive home how bastards are not accepted, even less so in the South.

I agree that the odds are good Jaime will just go with some kind of snarky response that cuts Jon deep, but considering the fact that Jaime has been either reviled or looked down on by pretty much everyone except for the Lannisters and their bannermen for killing Aerys, I think there might be potential there for a little brief cordiality between them. That would be rather interesting, I think. Jon befriends Tyrion quite quickly, if he had a similar interaction with his brother it would make his reaction to later events even more conflicted.

(I noticed at the actors' feet you can see their marks in that photo. That must be either a behind the scenes shot, or they didn't reframe it to cut out the feet, as would be done for a final edit.)

Good catch. Probably would just be cut off at their waists, I'd assume. You don't need to be able to see them from head to toe when there's such little distance between them.

Archived