Sean Bean: Game of Thrones production values surpass Lord of the Rings

Commodore

Bean ... Bean has certain stock things he says for about just any production. If you listened to him in the extras for Death Race 2, you'd think it was the best thing he'd ever made. ;)

That said, the lavishness of the production has earned some notice. When I was visiting the set, the reporter for TV guide -- who was quite experienced and had been on a number of U.S. TV show sets -- said it was like nothing she'd ever seen before, and she thought it must be more like a movie production than a network TV show.

LotR got an amazing amount of look and feel on a surprisingly small budget - about 1/3 of what they say would have been expected for how it looked in the end. Realize much of the sequence where Sam and Frodo are climbing up Mount Doom was apparently shot on a small set in a parking lot that didn't look like much at all, with the rest being CGI'd in, and I think maybe that's what Bean is talking about.

Also, most of Bean's work on LotR was shot in the wild, with just some sets for Moria (all caverns and the like) or Rivendell (the one major outdoor meeting place set), so I don't think he was around for much of the shooting on sets like Minas Tirith, Edoras, Orthanc, Hobbiton, etc., where there would have been much more extensive set building going on.

Bean ... Bean has certain stock things he says for about just any production. If you listened to him in the extras for Death Race 2, you'd think it was the best thing he'd ever made. ;)

He really does! I was watching an interview he did about Red Riding and the phrase 'It's like nothing I've ever seen' came up. His little speach was definatly very similar to the one he gave about AGOT :laugh:

He really does! I was watching an interview he did about Red Riding and the phrase 'It's like nothing I've ever seen' came up. His little speach was definatly very similar to the one he gave about AGOT :laugh:

Well, playing devil's advocate here, first, that statement is so ambiguous that you can't really accuse him of being insincere. For instance, imagine hes referring to the nature of the project: three films located in the same town, in different periods of time, with plots independent from each other, but at the same time subtly interlinked. For sure,he hasn't worked in a project like that before.

Sean is really a shy and private man, but he knows his job and does it. I think the first half of the interview, there were very bad questions from the interviewer, just trying to nail down a comparison to LOTR (which we all know there's not). Once the interviewer gets off that premise, the interview is more enlightening.

When I was visiting the set, the reporter for TV guide -- who was quite experienced and had been on a number of U.S. TV show sets -- said it was like nothing she'd ever seen before, and she thought it must be more like a movie production than a network TV show.

Was this reporter a young, blonde girl? Because there was a girl at the screening who I didn't recognize, that I believe was from TV Guide and she was positively giddy about the show and seemed to have a familiarity with it. Was wondering who she was as I thought I was already aware of everyone in the press who were big fans of the show?

The Lord of the Rings movies were made 10 years ago. I'm sure CGI effects have moved on since then so a TV series can surpass them.

Yes. But LotR had more money to splash out on CGI and the other elements of the show. And while CGI is cheaper, those other elements are not. So pluses and minuses.

Archived