Rickon?

There's new photos on the HBO website... one in particular caught my eye: http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/storage/jon-bran-robb.jpg

It's Jon, Bran, and Robb in the Winterfell yard. But there's a kid sitting on a fence-post behind Robb. He looks too well-dressed to be a commoner, and seems to have some similarities to the other three.

Any possibility that this kid is Rickon?

He's photoshopped into that picture. It looks kind of crappy TBH.

No, he's definitely photoshopped. His face is lit from the left and all the other faces are lit from the right and you can also see a faint white ring around his hair which also point to hiom being copied into the image.

He's not shopped:

• Not all shadows in a shot will be coming from the same direction. This is a big misconception about how shadows work. Also, he has a big, dark wooden post next to his face absorbing a lot of light which is causing the shadow on that side.
  • The "white ring" around his hair is likely just coming down from a light above him. It's real light.
  • Though you didn't mention it, you are also probably picking up on the fact that his face is not as in focus as those of his brothers, but that's just caused by the focusing of the camera. He's a bit out of the depth of field of this shot. Check out the guy behind Bran, he's also out of focus a bit and in a similar plane as Rickon.

Yeah, seriously...

Like I said, a person who is actually in the shot says that yes, that's Rickon, he was right where you see him. Unless it's a figment of his imagination, this one's done. As Brude says, lightning a scene can be quite complex.

Not to say they don't tweak all of these photos in Photoshop, but mostly that's just color correction and so on. Now, the Dany-Jorah photo, that one has some notably more extensive photoshopping in it.

Yeah, seriously...

Like I said, a person who is actually in the shot says that yes, that's Rickon, he was right where you see him. Unless it's a figment of his imagination, this one's done. As Brude says, lightning a scene can be quite complex.

He may have been there, but in this particular photo he could have been turned away from the camera or picking his nose and since the PR people or whoever wanted a shot with all of them, they decided to put his face it.

I'm trusting my judgement here and looking at that picture I cannot come to any other conclusion than it being shopped.

Archived