Age question about HBO

How will HBO take the actor age(s) and the release of the seasons into consideration. Lets say each season will have a 2 year delay.

Season 1 - 2011

Season 2 - 2013

Season 3 - 2015

Season 4 - 2017

Season 5 - 2019

Season 6 - 2021

Season 7 - 2022

That means...it might take HBO to finish the series in ELEVEN years!

How are HBO addressing the young ages of some of the characters with regards to sex and violence?

Almost all of the characters, children or adult, are being aged up by at least a few years. Robb and Jon are 17 rather than 14, Daenerys is 15 rather than 13 and so on (the actors are older). Sean Bean, who plays Ned Stark, is fifteen years older than Ned in the books, whilst Mark Addy is ten years older than Robert Baratheon as described in the books. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Lena Headey are around 7 years older than in the books. These age increases are partly down to legal requirements for the amount of time the younger actors can spend on set and their involvement in sexually explicit scenes, and also down to storytelling considerations: George R.R. Martin has also said that in retrospect he should have made the characters a few years older at the start of the books, and may have advised the TV producers to do so for the series.

That means, actors will need to be replaced due to age restrictions, unless HBO doesn't care about actor ages or they might put that into the plot of the storyline?

Thank you for your time,

Arya

HBO runs seasons a year apart. 1.5+ years can happen, in particular situations, of course. But you assume a typical 1 year situation, then you're looking at a seventh season airing in 2017. Either way, yes, the kids will no longer be kids, but I assume that they've some notion how to incorporate it. One easy way is just to say that each season takes place over more time than the corresponding book. This is easy to do on television, because it's generally much more difficult to keep track of exact relations between events, IMO.

So my answer is, I think they'll incorporate it into the actual story.

So my answer is, I think they'll incorporate it into the actual story.

In fact, at the first Belfast moot, George said publicly that he hoped to see Maisie and Sophie growing up into their teens on screen. I assume George meant, by extension, all the kids actors, but he named the girls because they were present at the moot.

Yup. Finally a solution to the 5 year gap. But the time we (hopefully) get to an adaptation of aFfC/aDwD, all the actors will be around 5 years older than they are in the books. :)

I think the story can take that though. Age is not that big a matter here.

Wasn't it mentioned how the show would probably need to split ASOS into two seasons? So we'd actually be looking at at least 8 or 9 years (assuming the show survives that long) before we see the final season? Like Ran said though, they simply could have one season last an entire year (or at least a number of months) and incorporate the ages of the children into the show. Even if the show only lasted 2 years the aging would be obvious with the younger children, so I'm sure they have a plan to work with it. At least they wont need to show the change of seasons every year as Westeros' seasons are abnormal.

What I find most weird about what that quote said is that Ned is 15 years older than portrayed in the books? And Robert is 10 years older? Surely that would mess with the timeline a bit.

Season 1 - 2011

Season 2 - 2013

Season 3 - 2015

Season 4 - 2017

Season 5 - 2019

Season 6 - 2021

Season 7 - 2022

HBO have said that their old 1 season every 1.5-2 years model is something they don't want to do anymore. Having a season every year, at roughly the same time of year, appears to be their preferred mode. In fact, there are strong indications that Season 2, if commissioned, will start filming 1-2 months earlier than Season 1 and will air earlier, possibly in January 2012 in the slot Big Love is about to vacate.

In addition, GRRM has heavily indicated that Book 3 will be two seasons. Following that, Book 5 (which by many accounts is almost as large, and may even end up slightly larger) may also have to be two seasons, or, when combined by timeline with AFFC, split across three. So that gives us:

AGoT - Season 1 - 2011

ACoK - Season 2 - 2012

ASoS I - Season 3 - 2013

ASoS II - Season 4 - 2014

AFFC/ADWD I - Season 5 - 2015

AFFC/ADWD II - Season 6 - 2016

ADWD III - Season 7 - 2017

TWoW - Season 8 -2018

ADoS - Season 9 - 2019

Do I think it's likely the series will go for nine years? Not hugely. I think the Lost syndrome will kick in and people will start tiring of the story not having an ending and start tuning out, maybe by the Season 5-6 mark. It's also possible that the producers will find a way of downplaying the events of AFFC and combining them with ADWD over maybe two seasons rather than three. That said, I can also see GRRM making Books 6 and 7 pretty huge as well to pack the resolution of the story into them, and they may also need more than one season apiece (potentially meaning as many as 13 seasons, which seems implausible to me). GRRM also said in some interviews that he hopes they'll be filming in Northern Ireland for the next 'ten years', suggesting that they are considering a long game.

What I find most weird about what that quote said is that Ned is 15 years older than portrayed in the books? And Robert is 10 years older? Surely that would mess with the timeline a bit.

He was talking about Sean Bean's real age compared to the book. Similarly Addy's real age. Ned is supposed to be 40 in the TV series.

possibly in January 2012 in the slot Big Love is about to vacate.

Do we know when Luck will be put on? It seems to be HBO's other big new TV series. Just seems very difficult to see GoT been moved forward 3 months.

I think the Lost syndrome will kick in and people will start tiring of the story not having an ending and start tuning out, maybe by the Season 5-6 mark.

At least the advantage with GoT is that a lot more happens each season. Things change significantly. But yes, hard to imagine 9 seasons. And people could get tired waiting for Dany to land. :)

HBO have said that their old 1 season every 1.5-2 years model is something they don't want to do anymore. Having a season every year, at roughly the same time of year, appears to be their preferred mode. In fact, there are strong indications that Season 2, if commissioned, will start filming 1-2 months earlier than Season 1 and will air earlier, possibly in January 2012 in the slot Big Love is about to vacate.

In addition, GRRM has heavily indicated that Book 3 will be two seasons. Following that, Book 5 (which by many accounts is almost as large, and may even end up slightly larger) may also have to be two seasons, or, when combined by timeline with AFFC, split across three. So that gives us:

AGoT - Season 1 - 2011

ACoK - Season 2 - 2012

ASoS I - Season 3 - 2013

ASoS II - Season 4 - 2014

AFFC/ADWD I - Season 5 - 2015

AFFC/ADWD II - Season 6 - 2016

ADWD III - Season 7 - 2017

TWoW - Season 8 -2018

ADoS - Season 9 - 2019

Do I think it's likely the series will go for nine years? Not hugely. I think the Lost syndrome will kick in and people will start tiring of the story not having an ending and start tuning out, maybe by the Season 5-6 mark. It's also possible that the producers will find a way of downplaying the events of AFFC and combining them with ADWD over maybe two seasons rather than three. That said, I can also see GRRM making Books 6 and 7 pretty huge as well to pack the resolution of the story into them, and they may also need more than one season apiece (potentially meaning as many as 13 seasons, which seems implausible to me). GRRM also said in some interviews that he hopes they'll be filming in Northern Ireland for the next 'ten years', suggesting that they are considering a long game.

I hope that "A Storm of Swords" is divided into two seasons.

By the way, we are assuming that the series will be more seasons. Not entangled so sure.

If the age thing is a serious problem, they can replace the actors. Remember real life is a factor in what they may do with the series, and for whatever reason a few actors can't return, they may have to simply replace them or adjust the story slightly. In most shows, kids play a pretty minor role, but this seems to be even more important.

The advantage of having a 17 year old Jon is that when he's 25, they can make him look 19 pretty easily. Arya/Bran/Sansa are probably the biggest concern.

Archived