Sky! - GUTTED!

That's about the size of it. Sky paid a _lot_ money for rights to all HBO original programming as part of a multi-year deal. HBO has been making more and more of these deals -- Canal+ Scandinavia seems to have it, HBO just announced it had inked a similar deal with Canal+ Spain as well.

I've heard something about Virgin Media possibly being allowed to carry Sky Atlantic as part of its service, but there's been no word yet and, in any case, I don't really understand how that would happen.

Mr PT has had Sky for several years due to most major sport being screened there. Just got a 40" screen for our Kinect Xmas pressie, and with HD, I'm really looking forward to April. aGoT will be on their new HBO channel, Atlantic, which premieres in February. We need news on when Sky Atlantic will be screening the show now, I'm sure it will be later than the17th.

I've heard something about Virgin Media possibly being allowed to carry Sky Atlantic as part of its service, but there's been no word yet and, in any case, I don't really understand how that would happen.

Virgin do carry several Sky channels, so it is plausible that they could get Sky Atlantic as well - it might well depend on whether they're willing to pay whatever Sky will ask for their channel.

Maybe it'll be available online somewhere? You'll be able to get the DVDs eventually too, but I know how painful that wait will be.

Sky offer downloads of their shows (you can pay per episode), although I'm not sure if they do that for all their shows, but I guess GoT will probably be available. You can pay to stream their channels online as well, although that seems too expensive to me.

Sky offer downloads of their shows (you can pay per episode), although I'm not sure if they do that for all their shows, but I guess GoT will probably be available. You can pay to stream their channels online as well, although that seems too expensive to me.

The streaming option is a good alternative for those who can't get Sky because their landlords wouldn't let them install a dish. Of course, people who can't afford (or don't want to) paying the subscription won't care about this option.

Maybe it'll be available online somewhere? You'll be able to get the DVDs eventually too, but I know how painful that wait will be.

I know that HBO content isn't usually available online in the States; I can't imagine they'd allow it anywhere else either. Wait for the DVD, I guess. Most of HBO's shows are better like that anyway.

Sky's bigging this up as a Sky Channel Exclusive so I doubt it'll be on Virgin Media, which sucks for me as I'm addicted to Virgins uberfast broadband and have got there TV+Broadband package.

Guess I'll continue to illegally watch all of HBOs best stuff weeks before its available in the UK. It'd soothe my conscience somewhat if I was technically paying for it at a later date though, but hey, I'll survive.

I didn't realise Sky offered this. I got very excited when I saw it.

But, I'm in Japan right now. :( So, neither HBO or Sky will let me pay to download/stream programs. I have no idea if there is even a way for me to see the show at all, from here.

Yes, I have cable but no announcement yet.

Anyway, it would probably be dubbed in Japanese, right?

I feel there must be a legal way for people to download TV shows from other countries, it's an opportunity for extra income and there are plenty of other international contracts, it just seems strange that I can't find anything.

I feel there must be a legal way for people to download TV shows from other countries, it's an opportunity for extra income and there are plenty of other international contracts, it just seems strange that I can't find anything.

It is normal for all types of rights for TV shows to be allocated on a per-country basis, so I don't think you'll have much luck. Different countries have different airdates and different prices for downloads so I don't see that changing anytime soon. I guess you'll have to wait for the show to be bought by a Japanese channel or for the DVDs to be released.

I saw a billboard ad for Sky Atlantic last night, and they're advertising it as "the home of HBO".

I've seen a few. One has New York and London blended into the same city (NYC skyscrapers next to St. Pauls, etc) with the idea that Sky Atlantic will blend 'premium' US and UK drama together (though 'The Home of HBO' still appears to be their main tagline). The other has a picture of Steve Buscemi with Boardwalk Empire mentioned. I'm guessing we'll see a similar one, probably with Sean Bean, for Thrones closer to transmission.

It is normal for all types of rights for TV shows to be allocated on a per-country basis, so I don't think you'll have much luck. Different countries have different airdates and different prices for downloads so I don't see that changing anytime soon. I guess you'll have to wait for the show to be bought by a Japanese channel or for the DVDs to be released.

That's not what people in practice do though. Maybe making it difficult to pay to see the show at the time it's released of is more profitable even considering all the piracy, but it does seem unlikely.

That's not what people in practice do though. Maybe making it difficult to pay to see the show at the time it's released of is more profitable even considering all the piracy, but it does seem unlikely.

I don't think making a show difficult to see in a timely manner is ever a smart move, much less profitable. I guarantee that within 5 minutes of the first airing there will be copies available via newsgroups and torrent. In this day and age trying to force delays on viewers is futile and does more to urge piracy than anything else.

Archived