Artisans: The Fight Arranger

Westeros

Buster was the stunt double for Christian Bale in The Dark Knight, and was integral to the developing of Batman's fighting style in that film -- he pointed the fight arrangers to a streetfighting technique someone had developed.

I haven't seen many people with a nose as busted up as Buster, so ... that's appropriate.

The swords aren't actually based on the kopesh, but on an Indian weapon called the vechevoral. Great, close-up look at them. If I read Buster right, was he implying that the arakhs are sharp on both edges? Hrm. It's not what the arakhs are supposed to look like in the books, IMO, but it's an interpretation. My main problem with it, actually, is how little it looks like a weapon for use from horseback.

The swords aren't actually based on the kopesh, but on an Indian weapon called the vechevoral. Great, close-up look at them. If I read Buster right, was he implying that the arakhs are sharp on both edges? Hrm. It's not what the arakhs are supposed to look like in the books, IMO, but it's an interpretation. My main problem with it, actually, is how little it looks like a weapon for use from horseback.

Agreed. I'd been assuming something along the lines of a Persian Shamshir, or an Indian Talwar. Buster's idea of the arakh (assuming he was responsible for the blade design) seems terribly out of place.

I support changes from the book, but I wish they wouldn't mix-and-mash all of the various cultural influences to make it feel more 'Fantasy'. It ends up looking disjointed and ruins immersion. For me, at least.

I support changes from the book, but I wish they wouldn't mix-and-mash all of the various cultural influences to make it feel more 'Fantasy'.

Its hard to say. GRRM did the same and HBO seem to be taking that a couple of steps further. I suppose from their perspective, there is no point having this world look like just 2 or 3 historic countries. Since its a made up world, they must feel that it should look like no other world ever created.

I was told that the brief for the weapon design came from David & Dan, not Buster, although perhaps they consulted with him. So the vechevoral-style weapon is from them, and Tommy Dunne and team made it according to what they were looking for.

My understanding is that vechevoral is a chopping-style weapon, rather than a slashing one, which is what the arakh is supposed to be like. So in that sense, I should give Reeves some credit -- the weapon design led him to choreograph it not as a chopper, but as a slashing weapon as well. I still don't think it makes much sense for a horseman, but it's certainly a bit closer to the arakh than a vechevoral-inspired weapon led me to think.

Archived