The Factual History of A Song of Ice and Fire: including complete bibliography

Werthead

Serious question > Does anybody actually know the exact or approximate date of The Winds of Winter's release? Has that knowledge been made available to the public yet because all I keep seeing is that it's "forthcoming" ... Not very specific, though I only ask because it's been "forthcoming" for what feels like the longest time.. Thanks :crying:

No.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Regarding the boardgame, there's an updated version of The Game of Thrones boardgame that came out in 2013.

The Game of Thrones: The Board Game (2nd Ed.)

The updated second edition brings a host of enhancements to your A Game of Thrones experience. It incorporates elements from previous expansions, including ports, garrisons, Wildling cards, and Siege engines, while introducing welcome new innovations. Convenient player screens will hide your underhanded dealings from prying eyes, while new Tides of Battle cards convey the uncertainty of war. This, along with updated graphics and a clarified ruleset, means the time has never been better to claim the Iron Throne.

There's also this game that came out in 2014 and uses art derived from the HBO show:

Game of Thrones: Westeros Intrigue

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Re: The Ice Dragon,

GRRM says the story isn't part of ASoIF (ie; it's not canon history), but that doesn't technically exclude it completely.

As that Blastr article states, it's sort of referenced in ADwD where Jon remembers being "told a story of an Ice Dragon in his youth". It's logical to assume that would've been told to him as a child at Winterfell, by Old Nan.

So, I'd always taken it all to mean that The Ice Dragon is the ASoIF equivalent of a fairytale. It's not a "true story" about real historical events in Westeros, or wherever in that world it supposedly takes place... but it is one of Old Nan's many tales. Like if GRRM had decided to separately write and publish the story of the Rat Cook at the Nightfort, or any number of her other storys. It's been well established that Westeros and Essos have many legends and folktales, few if any of which are actually genuine historical accounts from the ASoF universe. With all the connections/similarities to the ASoIF universe in The Ice Dragon itself, plus Jon's reference, I don't think my conclusion is unreasonable. Whether that was George's original intent or not is debatable since Ice Dragon was written long before ASoIF, but you can't look at that and tell me he didn't intend to refer to it when he wrote that line in ADoD.

• 4 months later...

I've a question to the "completists" out there. Does anyone have a complete list of all the non-Martin story collections in which his short stories, novellas, etc. have been published? I'm particularly interested in the English language publications. The bibliography in Dreamsongs Vol.II is helpful as far as it goes, but I keep finding new anthologies that have Martin stories included in them that are not referenced there. Part of that is simply because of the publication date of Dreamsongs, but instead of trying to recreate that list myself it would be helpful to know if there is a easily accessible place for such information. Thanks

Found it. All the information I needed is here

Edited by SFDanny

• 3 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 12:25 PM, Ser N. said:

Re: The Ice Dragon,

GRRM says the story isn't part of ASoIF (ie; it's not canon history), but that doesn't technically exclude it completely.

As that Blastr article states, it's sort of referenced in ADwD where Jon remembers being "told a story of an Ice Dragon in his youth". It's logical to assume that would've been told to him as a child at Winterfell, by Old Nan.

So, I'd always taken it all to mean that The Ice Dragon is the ASoIF equivalent of a fairytale. It's not a "true story" about real historical events in Westeros, or wherever in that world it supposedly takes place... but it is one of Old Nan's many tales. Like if GRRM had decided to separately write and publish the story of the Rat Cook at the Nightfort, or any number of her other storys. It's been well established that Westeros and Essos have many legends and folktales, few if any of which are actually genuine historical accounts from the ASoF universe. With all the connections/similarities to the ASoIF universe in The Ice Dragon itself, plus Jon's reference, I don't think my conclusion is unreasonable. Whether that was George's original intent or not is debatable since Ice Dragon was written long before ASoIF, but you can't look at that and tell me he didn't intend to refer to it when he wrote that line in ADoD.

George re-uses terms and concepts from his earlier works, short stories and novellas in ASoIaF: Barrisan and the Dothraki are both names from earlier material.

The "Ice Dragon" exists as two concepts in the ASoIaF universe: the constellation of the same name and the mythical (?) creatures who live in the Shivering Sea.

The "Ice Dragon" story officially does not take place in Westeros or Essos. It existing as a fairy tale in Westeros is a nice idea, but there's nothing supporting it or denying it.

• 1 year later...

I have not read this thread before because I thought it was someone setting out the facts of the story of ASOIF - ie summarising the narrative.

Now I have read the opening posts they are really interesting.

Maybe the thread could have a title more like Writing/Publication History of A Song and Ice and Fire